Rear Wheel Drive vs Front Wheel Drive

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
maximaed

Hi to everyone on the forum, I am contemplating on whether to purchase the new Nissan Maxima 2004 or the Infiniti G35 sedan. I live in NYC, and I love the G35 sedan but the only problem that I have with the car is that is a rear wheel drive, which I understand is better when it comes to performance. But then when we are talking about snow, slippery conditions etc a front wheel drive vehicle is better. Besides if I decided to buy the Maxima, I could get more for the money, for example a fully loaded Maxima vs a fully loaded G35 there is a $2,000 to $3,000 difference. But I still would prefer the G35, again the only thing that bothers me is the fact that is a real wheel drive.Any suggestions, or am I just to worried about nothing?Thanks!!

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

figure out how often you would need the fwd, figure out your goals (if u plan on modifying) and put your priorities on a piece of paper and list em out, its your choice really, personally i like the maxima, but if i were to buy one, id go for rwd, only cause we dont get snow

lagvoid

get the g35, my friend just got the g35c and its one of the nicest cars ive seen. If your concerned about the bad weather, just take it easy and you'll be fine. You'll get used to rwd by the time winter comes around. And for added assurance, get some snow tires if you want.

Bluestreak
Car: Cars, fatherhood, baseball, music

I agree, get the G35. I have the coupe and it's great. With traction control, a good set of snow tires, and almost even front/rear weight distribution, most of what I've read suggests you're not at much of a disadvantage to FWD anymore. Besides, if you live in NYC, the snow doesn't stick much, and when it does they plow and salt quickly. I live in Westchester county, and the snow is usually worse for us than NYC. The better driving dynamics of rear wheel drive for the 355 days a year it doesn't snow are well worth it.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

It's all in the tires anyway.

A RWD car w/ winter tires will out-trac a FWD with all seasons all day long.

A RWD car w/ TCS/LSD and snow tires will out-trac a A AWD SUV w/ all season tires too.

Fred...:)

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

palmerwmd wrote:It's all in the tires anyway.

A RWD car w/ winter tires will out-trac a FWD with all seasons all day long.

A RWD car w/ TCS/LSD and snow tires will out-trac a A AWD SUV w/ all season tires too.

Fred...:)
good points

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I agree with everyone about this. I was a little worried about getting the G35 because it was rear wheel. I have been used to driving a 4x4 most my driving life and I wasn't sure how a rear wheel drive would hanle in the snow, but, I had absolutely no problem. And this was the snowiest winter in Indy in nearly 50 years. The VDC worked like a dream. The new maxima is a really car for price, but I think you get much more bang for the buck with the G35.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”