Rear tire comes off car while driving

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
versaa25
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa - 1.6L

Nissan Versa 2012 1.6L / Standard Shift

I am seeking information as to how the rear tire (including the drum) can come completely off of the car.

Last week, I had my car serviced at an auto repair shop. I had the front and rear brakes replaced. On the front, new pads were installed. On the rear, new shoes, bearings and drums were installed.

Here is a brief description of the incident. Within a span of 30 seconds the following occurred:
1) ABS Light came on;
2) The steering wheel began to shake violently;
3) Depressed brake to slow down when;
4) The TIRE, while still attached to the drum came off of the car and went flying 150meters out into the woods.
5) When the car stopped, I examined the rear of the car where I found the rear brake completely exposed. The main nut is visable and firmly holding the bearing behind it.

Could anyone help me solve this problem? How is a tire able to come completely off of the car like this?

versaa25
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa - 1.6L

Discovered the problem.

After the bearing had been pressed inside the drum. The mechanic did finish the job by putting the c-clip that holds the bearing in. They were left in the old drums.

Very disastrous, as the c-clip is the only thing holding the drum onto the bearing.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Good information ,thanks for sharing it.
Welcome to NICO!

Return to “Versa General Chat”