Rear Suspension Bushings?

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Car: 2000 Maxima
2003 Altima
2004 Titan

Bought my 16 yr old daughter her first car, a 2003 Altima auto w/ 140K for a whopping $750. Long story, but there isn't much wrong with the car and we've already fixed a couple of the 'normal' issues and are trying to whip it into shape for her, and she is having to do the work too.

One question I have, has anyone done much w/the rear suspension? I know we are needing rear shocks and lower shock bushings, but the back end tends to bounce around and step out to the right on larger road imperfections at 50+ MPH. To me this signals a change in alignment settings when the suspension cycles through its range of motion. A visual inspection shows a couple of the other bushings that look like they could use a replacement as well (torn rubber), but nothing that sticks out as being a major indicator of the problem. In fact an inspection by a local tire/suspension shop said they didn't see anything wrong and recommended an alignment to correct a rear toe issue.

On a side note, the rear subframe does look fairly new and seems to have previously been replaced under the recall (I am just judging by what I see) but I plan on calling the dealer this week to try and get confirmation on that.

Is there any aftermarket poly bushings available or are we stuck w/ stock replacements?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

2003 Altima
2004 Titan

Bump?!

lancet913
Car: 1996 240sx se
KA24DET @12psi

Are you sure the bushings are bad? Might just be the rear shocks. Redlion racing makes nylatron bushings for the altima, also has subframe inserts for front and rear. You can find him on Facebook.

2003 Altima
2004 Titan

lancet913,

Thank you for the reply! I'll get in touch with RedLion, sounds like what I'm after. Yes, I guess it could be just the rear shocks, but if I get in there I one want to have to do it once. Any suggestions on rear shocks and/or where to get them? Looking for the best bang for the buck. Thanks again, I appreciate the info!

lancet913
Car: 1996 240sx se
KA24DET @12psi

The kyb gr2's/excel are good shocks/struts, that's what I have. If you are dead set on rear subframe bushings I would recommend the bushing inserts. They are easiest to install. Rockauto will have the best price on shocks/struts.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”