Rear Sun Screen Noise - Motor?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
soninlawscar
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 S

I would like to know how to disconnect the rear sun screen. Either unplug it at the motor or remove the fuse, if it has it's own fuse.This thing is driving me crazy with it's motor noise. This is on a 2012 m37s
thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

The rear sunshade does not have it's own fuse. Here's what's on that fuse:
Headlamp Aiming Motor LH/RH, Wiper Reverse Relay, Shift Lock Relay, Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) Control Unit, Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD) Brake Switch, Stop Lamp Switch, Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) Brake Switch, Rear Sunshade Control Unit, Low Tire Pressure Warning Control Unit, Climate Controlled Seat Relay, Front Heated Seat Relay, Front Heated Seat Switch (Driver/Passenger Side), Compressor (2012), Sonar Control Unit, CAN Gateway, Tel Adapter Unit, A/C Auto Amplifier, AV Control Module, Auto Anti-Dazzling Inside Mirror, Data Link Connector, Headlamp Swivel Actuator LH/RH, Exhaust Gas / Outside Odor Detecting Sensor, 4-Wheel Active Steer (4WAS) Front Control Unit, Ionizer, Inside Odor Detecting Sensor
Here's the direct link to the FSM for your car: https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 12/FWD.pdf

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So the motor is just running non-stop? Mine only turns on when I hit the button.

soninlawscar

Ilya, it doesn't run continuously, only when you put it in reverse, and then for about 10 seconds. This is when the sunscreen is down, it thinks it's up but it's not and it's gears are stripping trying to lower it. Rogue One said the fuse has many other functions so I need to disconnect the power from motor, unless there is another fix short of a visit to the dealer.
Thanks for your help
mike

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yeah, if your car thinks its up when its not the only way to kill it would be to unplug and it and my guess is you would have to get in the trunk and look at the rear deck/remove the cover to get to it. Or visit the dealer...

soninlawscar

Thanks Ilya, already been in the trunk and cant find the motor, don't know how to read the service manual well enough to find it.
Thanks for your help, if there's any idea on how to find it I would appreciate the help.

Ilya

Check the IDX or FWD section...that's basically a glossary.

EdBwoy

If I locate the picture, I'll post it here.
However, here's a pointer...

I have seen people reference a white plug on the bottom side of the rear parcel shelf. You need to access it from the trunk. Remove the clips, lower the trim and it should be visible somewhere around the left side.

soninlawscar

Thanks EdBwoy.
yes it is on the left side facing trunk, its about an inch long total and one half inch wide, a white connector. I unplugged it and the noise stopped, everything else worked so it must be dedicated to that motor.
Thanks again, I know someone else will appreciate the information.

Davealan
Car: 2012 M Hybrid Black Obsidian & graphite w/ Deluxe Touring package

EdBwoy, many thanks for sharing this information . I have been dealing with the noise for 4+ weeks each time I put my car into reverse! I had the trunk trim out last weekend but could not make sense of what I had access to! Now I have something to look forward to this coming weekend :-)

Davealan

Thanks as well soinlawscar!

Davealan

Guys you are life savers! I was grinding my teeth every time I put my M35H in reverse, this morning I found & pulled the plug. I love the sound of silence!!!!

Next spring I will raise the shade and then pull the plug for summer driving :-)

Maxima37X
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE TE
2012 Infiniti M37x

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/dkAip6GprSyq#/

Check out the video is this the sound????

Davealan

Yes that is the exact maddening sound! Everyone is big on "cutting the cord" these days, I say "pull the plug"!!!

Maxima37X
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima SE TE
2012 Infiniti M37x

Im really trying to fix this problem, has anyone tried to fix it at all? That shade cost 950 at the stealership.

Davealan

I have a M35H so the back seat is fixed and cannot be easily removed. Could be a cig on a hear issue but it will be a major pain for me to diagnose. Best wishes

Neversurpassed
Car: M56x

I fixed my sunshade last summer. I purchased a used one from eBay. When it arrived it had broken tabs on the ends so it was a bit useless. I did not find out until after I pulled the one from my car. I took out the whole back seat and rear deck as you can’t get to the shade from the trunk, except for the motor wire. Took about 45 minutes to do that after searching for all of the bolts and not trying to break any tabs. Once out and compared the parts and this is when I found that the tabs on the new shade where broken off and are tack welded on to the track the shade rolls up into. So all I did was swap out the motor housing and put my original one back on the car, and it works like a champ. Took way less time to put back together.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”