Rear speaker cover noise

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Big Tone
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

I've tried everything from using hypoxy to seal the plastic frame to the metal mesh grill to actually cutting the plastic skeleton completely off of the frame and the damn thing STILL makes a rattling noise when the bass kicks in. I've since realized that there's something that the cover is connexcting to that is making the noise, but I don't know what it is! Has anyone else had this issue? I'm getting REALLY frustrated with this. When the cover is off, I get no noise. When I put it on, it rattles. I also hear a rattle when the fram is off if I press down on the deck a little.

It's really making an otherwise great system sound like poo. I'd expect this if I had subs (NEVER!), but these are stock speakers! Is there something I need to secure? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I've been working on this on and off for about two months now!

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Its your rear speakers, not the grilles. They are letting you know its time to change them out.

Big Tone

Why doesn't the speaker make that noise when the cover is off? It sounds like it may be the housing around the speaker, but it's just a guess. When I press down on the area around the speaker (rear deck) I get the rattle, but when I don't touch it the noise disappears!

brandonjustice93J30

I've got that same kind of noise when I have the bass up and it turned fairly loud. I'm more leaning towards the speakers on mine, but with yours it may be the rear deck itself. From what you say about having the covers off and it doesnt rattle , but when you push in the center of the rear deck it does...it sounds like something besides the grilles themselves. That possibly when they are on it changes the weight pushing down between the trim and the sheet metal and it's enough for them to contact. I'll look at mine later after I change my plugs( yay, there's a pain in the *** for me today too) and see if I can come up with a solution for you. May be as simple as placing a small sheet of dynamat to change the resonant frequency, or a pad of foam between the metal and trim so they cant touch.

diamond
Car: Wife's Daily driver is J30 , 58 Cheby Sport Sedan Lowrider is my style .

layer your back deck with visciolastic.cut down mass on vibration.i did that.even took mine completally apart to paint and modify.i got 8's in .35 boxes bolted to the back deck and with a couple 12's not a sound in the 140's in the seat.silent.you get what you put into it.i also did ever little linkage and everything.i also drove around with a auto stethascope with tubing .the quiter it gets the more you hear.till its all done,lol.try using clear epoxy to cushin the grill against the plastic.let something rest on it till it dries.has to be really firmly held solid.i have 2 pass thru's to to the cabin to releave trunk pressure.j30's hit at 40 hz.so do camery's,lol.transfer function on mids about 130.i forget.close tho.hehe.woops i fogot.i use foil backed plumber wrap that comes in a little roll.think i used 3 layers of visciolastic.from mcmaster-carr

Modified by diamond at 6:35 AM 3/10/2006
Modified by diamond at 6:37 AM 3/10/2006

Big Tone

How do I remove the rear deck? Is there a tutorial anywhere with instructions?

DominickJ30

Just remove 2 bolts that hold the bottom of the rear seat. Then remove, next remove 4 screws holding in the top part of the back seat. Slide it upwards to remove. Then there are 4 clips visible and alot not visible. Once you get the first four up, just gently pry up the rear deck and the rest should come loose.

Big Tone

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to work on this over the weekend (if the wife hasn't already made plans for me!).

diamond

get the heat gun out bigtone.get on it,lol.cant have you rolling around buzzing now cAN WE.I TELL YA.IT TOOK LONGER TO prep the car for sound than it took to make the system,lol.

DominickJ30

And that diamond, is the correct way to do it.

Norhing worse that those tiny rattles at 20hz/145dB

diamond

^ oh ya.shouldnt be driving around that loud in the car.man,if the 9.0's i got ever make it into it its on.lol.have to bump that sucker from outside.couple d.d.'s.oh ya.or adire.no back seat.oh man.i wish my bodie come back.god darnit.

DominickJ30

Heh, I am defenitely gonna lose my hearing.

9.0 is defenitely a sick amp.

I only have one 12" Avalanche and a RE 35.1d powering it. Plenty loud and clear.

diamond

oh ya c2k9.0. is nice.got 2 and 3 custom made c2k 6.0's.270 per channel.to each little tweet,lol.it will have a 2800 watt front stage.images very well already.thats were it acells.scores are like 1 to 5 for each thing 5 being best can be.i consistenlty got 4-5's.over the hood.if i covered the speakers so yuou could see them you couldnt tell where the sounds comming from.onnly visualize it in front of you.no rainbow effect or nothing like that.could be a little higher stage.just a hair.its over the dash.k,now im having to much fun,lol.i need to paint my amps and put mahagony inserts in to match rest of car.when it gets done it will be first class.man,i still got 8's in the vback doors to i dont even use.used to have 14 qyaurts in the cabin.4 tweets the spendy quarts.,4midsquarts 2 each front door,4-8's.and 2-4's.i roach 4's,lol.all m.b. quart.rock you out but no imaging,lol.in my pics theres another amp inder the bottom flushed in nice.was anyway.i got a alpine pxah700 and 9835 to go in.9835's in.got work to do.i dont no how now but im not going to let go of the dream.i cant work on anything now.kinda sick.not going to get better.had the system in the pics when this site was at a yahoo baord.long ago.maybe 8 years ago 9.cars as clean or cleaner than then too.restored bumpers from all the traveling to shows.front and back.hell,i had my buddie paint the oem hood cause i didnt like the factory job.to uneven.i hate that.i got new mint sills and mayys i used for shows.only judges shoes ever touched them,lol.i met someone from this site at a show one time.was super cool.forgot the name but drove a q.

ultra suede,hehe

Modified by diamond at 1:12 PM 3/12/2006

Modified by diamond at 1:14 PM 3/12/2006

Modified by diamond at 1:18 PM 3/12/2006

Modified by diamond at 1:20 PM 3/12/2006
Modified by diamond at 1:21 PM 3/12/2006

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”