rear leaf spring help!!??

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
bracktheron720
Car: 1984 720 with 1980 datsun front end,1972 yamaha cs3

hey everybody!!wel im really wantin to dig into the rear end of my truck and get it on sum blocks and replace all the old bushings and what not back there..got a couple questions though....my truck has helwig load assist springs attached to the stock leafs..iv noticed in pics of other truck that the leafs had much more of an arch to them my bottom leaf is basicly flat to the rest of the pack it doesnt look the same to me......im pretty sure all the helper springs do is stiffen the ride but im not sure....are these bassicly calmping the leafs together or what???and will removing them raise/lower the back or cahnge the ride quality?????im lookin for sum sugestions on what to do with them ...and maybe a couple picks of other trucks leafs if you have or could take a couple for me!!thanks in advance!! heres a couple pics of what i have goin on to give ya an idea..

thats front and back on the passenger side..

bracktheron720

any ideas...anybody????

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

removing them will probably make it a little 'springy-er'.... you won't know about ride height until you try it... if you remove them and the other springs obtain more arch then yes it will be higher

its basically a good thing to have those... less body roll etc... but its pretty heavy too... its gotta be a personal preference really

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

If you remove it, it should allow a little bit of bow to return to the shape of the leafs. Those are only used to help with heavy loads or when the leafs are worn out.

bracktheron720

PEZi720 wrote:removing them will probably make it a little 'springy-er'.... you won't know about ride height until you try it... if you remove them and the other springs obtain more arch then yes it will be higher

its basically a good thing to have those... less body roll etc... but its pretty heavy too... its gotta be a personal preference really
hmm..well i dont want to be any higher thats for sure..and as of so far i really like the ride..when i got it the front was floaty feelin like it had bad shocks or sumthin it was like drivin a boat..but after i cranked the front down almost to the bump stops it took care of that now its nice and stiff in the front if that makes since..and the rear felt way stiffer than the front until then im guessin its because of these extra springs..now just sum blocks and im good!!!

hey pezi are the any bushings or anything like that in the back end that I can replace without taking it to a shop???im a body guy so the suspension stuff is all pretty new to me....thanks for all the help!!

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

yeah... you can probably do them yourself but the old bushings can be kinda a b**** to get out so be ready for that... but yeah its just the bushings for the front and rear of the leafs... 4 total... 2 per side

if i were you... i'd leave your setup as is just add the blocks for the desired height... the only reason you'd ever want the extra weight out is for performance at the track because every 1 lb of unsprung mass is about the same as having 10 lbs of sprung mass... lowering the weight would provide faster lap times etc... on the street you won't notice any difference really

Return to “Datsun 720”