Rear Diff Oil

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

I’m going to change the rear diff oil on the 97 pathfinder and the manual calls for 80w-90 LSD oil. At the auto parts store most of the 80w-90 are conventional and not lsd specific.

The 75w-90 oils says LSD and are synthetic oil.

I did see a Lucas 80w-90 heavy duty oil that says it’s good for lsd but I’ve seen some reviews on them and most people don’t like their gear oil.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Go with the Lucas 80w-90. I've been using it for several years without complaint. Castrol Axle Limited Slip Gear Oil 80W90 is what I used to buy but I haven't seen it in the stores for a long time or any other brand of lsd 80w-90 gear oil other than Lucas. Lucas does have a very good reputation for the quality of their lubricants. Bad reviews on anything, including personal opinions, are typically the most likely reviews to get posted. I wish more people would have listened to their grand parents. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

A1218

mdmellott wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:06 pm
Go with the Lucas 80w-90. I've been using it for several years without complaint. Castrol Axle Limited Slip Gear Oil 80W90 is what I used to buy but I haven't seen it in the stores for a long time or any other brand of lsd 80w-90 gear oil other than Lucas. Lucas does have a very good reputation for the quality of their lubricants. Bad reviews on anything, including personal opinions, are typically the most likely reviews to get posted. I wish more people would have listened to their grand parents. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
Good point, will be using that then.

Thanks

RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

To change that fluid, does it matter if truck is cold or hot?

A1218

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:50 pm
To change that fluid, does it matter if truck is cold or hot?
It doesn’t really matter I believe. The fluid might get a bit hot if driving a prolonged period of time like on the highway. But if you’re asking if the engine itself has to be warmed up? No that doesn’t matter at all.

Just make sure the vehicle is level. Should take about 3 quarts. Break the fill plug first before the drain plug.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”