Rear Breaks

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
saskcarguy

Does anyone know how to get the rear brake drum off. I have tried for hours and can not get them off.

jkliop

Hit the drum with a hammer between the studs. Just go around in a circle a few times. I'm serious!

saskcarguy

I have tried that

71-521

have you tried to adjust them out and then hit them with a hammer?
sometimes they hang up on the lip of the drum, especially if it has been awhile(like since new for some of them)
mine took me a day or so but I adjusted them all the way one way and discovered that I had tightened them so them I went the other way and let it sit over night(got them cold) bled the brakes and then gave it a couple of whacks and presto!
Good luck!

DanielC

The brake shoes spread (go out) when adjusting wheel is turned downward.  (one side adjusters have left hand threads) 
    Turn the adjuster wheel up to loosen the brake shoes from the drum.  Like it was said, hit the brake drum.  Spraying some penetrating oil into each of the studs for the lug nuts, and around the hub where the axle sticks through the brake drum will help. also. 
    Do not hit the wheel studs, or they will have to be rethreaded, or replaced.

saskcarguy

I acidently hit the studs in and i can't seem to be able to loosen the starwheel adjuster.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”