Rear Brake replacement

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
sboldt

I was wanting to know when replacing the rear brake pads, if the emergency brake is tied in at all or is it seperate. Also, I was trying to push back the piston and was wanting to know if anybody has any suggestions for moving back one that is really hard. I had no problem with the front brakes, but the rear piston is not budging whatsoever.

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

you have to turn the piston clockwise to get it to go back in. As for the emergency brake it is self adjusting and you shouldn't have to do anything to it.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

There is a special tool to turn the piston back in. It can probably be had at an autoparts store for a few bucks. It's a socket piece. Its like a square with 4 bumps on it that go in to the piston and then you turn it. The emergency brake does not need any adjustment. After you put the new pads in use the emergency brake to adjust everything, not the brake pedal. Just keep picking it up and releasing it until it gets tight again.

GodDrivesA240sx

SlowFiveOh wrote:There is a special tool to turn the piston back in. It can probably be had at an autoparts store for a few bucks. It's a socket piece. Its like a square with 4 bumps on it that go in to the piston and then you turn it. The emergency brake does not need any adjustment. After you put the new pads in use the emergency brake to adjust everything, not the brake pedal. Just keep picking it up and releasing it until it gets tight again.
You don't really have to buy the tool, you can just use needle nose pliers.

sboldt

Thank you for the information. Clears up a lot!!!

1991240xs

...i think my e brake is holding to tight...like it self adjusted itself too tight..i am about to do new brakes and rotors all the way around..even though it is self adjusting..can i still loosen it up?

SlowFiveOh

exactly, there is a tool to screw the piston back into the caliper, its like a block with 4 bumps on it to go into the indentations on the piston, it connects to a ratchet and you turn it back in.

SlowFiveOh

this is what im talking about:

the cube piecehttp://www.eastwoodcompany.com/images/P764.jpg

SlowFiveOh

link not working, let me try and fix it

EDIT: It works now.

SlowFiveOh

yeah, plyers are a pain in the ***. also if you use c-clamps and what not to press the piston back in on the front you risk ruining the caliper because even pressure is not applied and it can freeze up. with that tool all you have to do is putit in there, put some pressure on it and turn. hsould be easy unless your caliper is hung up, but then youd be looking at getting a new caliper anyways.

SlowFiveOh

I know they dont require pressure but if you dont put pressure down when you turn it with the tool, it will pop off. Its only pressure to hold it on there, not to press the piston in.

GoofyATX240

I dont know I think he coulda been saying u need pressure on the tool not the piston but ok...And I think the tool hes talkin bout looks like a socket in turn making it easier to turn the rear piston...

1991240xs

but the front brakes(s13) do need pressure?

SlowFiveOh

I am not talking nonsense, if you do not apply pressure to the tool it is not going to stay and pop out of the indentations on the piston, they are not holes there is not much to grab on there so push down the the tool to keep it in place, PRESSURE WILL NOT PUSH THE PISTON BACK IN! i am well aware of that, use your head and think about what is written in front of you. (no flame intended)

GodDrivesA240sx

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:The only tool I've ever seen is this one. It turns and compresses at the same time.

Are you saying there's a regular old socket attachment that has nubs on it? Who makes it?

Yep. You can buy it at NAPA. I think balkamp makes it.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”