Rear brake pads and slider pins problems

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Hi all
I posted this in the EX 35 forum but I think these questions go here. I have a 2010ex35 with 40,000 miles or 60,000km. I just changed the rear pads and I have 3 questions.

1) The OEM pads had two shims, an inner shim and an outer shim cover. The Akebono Proact pads only have one shim that we can take off and smear anti-squeal grease in between it and the actual pad. I thought I had to use one of the OEM shims but the OEM shim and cover do not fit well on the Akebono pads (the Akebono have a little metallic "bump" on their back plate and the EOM shims do not fit on the pads flat because of this). Am I ok with only using the (one) shim that came with the Akebono pads? Should I discard the OEM shims?

Second question: the top slider bolt has a rubber end cap (on the bolt itself). Not sure why but I can't reinsert the bolt when the rubber cap is on it (I clean them well and reapplied grease). The other side bolt went it easily even with its rubber end cap. So right now I have the driver side without the rubber cap. Is there a trick to reinsert the slider bolt with its rubber cap?

Third: the bolts themselves seem to have some usage marks. How often do you guys changes your slider bolts? Is it necessary to change these bolts?

Thanks

zypor

For your first question. If your OEM Shims don't fit then don't use them. Brake shims are used to correct small differences that sometimes lead to noise. Brake shims are mainly used to minimize any rattles. Not all brake pads come with shims as they aren’t required and function perfectly without needing them.

Second ?: If the Top Slider Pin will not go in then the Rubber sleeve on the bolt has swollen and needs to be replace. If it is not replaced then the pad will not retract properly and excessive wear of the outside pad will occur. There are rebuild kits that you can get that have the rubber sleeve and new rubber boots that go over the slider pin.
Here is a link for some
http://www.carid.com/carlson/rear-disc- ... 16165.html
Verify that it is for your car.

Third ?: Here are the words taken directly from the service manual "Sliding Pin Bolt and Sliding Pin Boot
Check the sliding pin bolts and sliding pin boots for rust, wear, cracks or damage. Replace the parts if any abnormal condition is detected."
Quote is from page BR-35
Here is a link to the Infinity service annual on NICO
http://www.infinitiservicemanual.com

Lubrication of Brake parts:
I just posted a reply to my own question and what I learned about lubricants for Brakes.

front-caliper-slide-pin-t597498.html

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”