Rear bottoming out options for you

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Serdriver
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hi,

I know this topic has been covered, but it’s a little scattered so I’m making a post that’ll show the different options.

This is for when you hit a dip/bump in the road and you hear/FEEL the big crash on the back wheels.

My rear shocks have been replaced although I don’t know at what mileage, so I’m skipping for now (currently at 150k). New shocks run about $50 a pair on RockAuto ((KYB, Gabriel, Monroe, couple of options).

Next up I’ve read that you should check out your bumpstops which are located inside of the springs. Found them on Amazon for $27 a piece. I’m doing this first because reviews have said it cures the crash. (You should check the condition of your bump stops before ordering.)
55240Ad010 - Rear Bumper Spring For Nissan - Febest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMA4SCG/re ... QFbZSXKZDB

Next you could replace the stock springs (which many consider to be too soft) for stiffer springs. I’ve read on many posts that this is a great way to go, especially if you tow. I will go this route next if the new bump stops don’t work too well.
https://www.rocky-road.com/nissan-pathf ... t-kit.html

Next you can remove the bump stops and instead install airbags. Many people seem to have luck with these as well, especIlly with towing and heavy loads. There have also been some reviews of having to replace the bags because of rips. This looks cool and relatively easy to install.

AIR LIFT 60742 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTK8WA/re ... RFbYBBZWTY

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Serdriver wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:23 am

Next you could replace the stock springs (which many consider to be too soft) for stiffer springs.
This is probably the most sure-fire way, assuming your bump stops are still present.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Serdriver wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:23 am

My rear shocks have been replaced although I don’t know at what mileage ...

Next up I’ve read that you should check out your bumpstops which are located inside of the springs.
55240Ad010 - Rear Bumper Spring For Nissan - Febest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMA4SCG/re ... QFbZSXKZDB

Next you could replace the stock springs (which many consider to be too soft) for stiffer springs.

Next you can remove the bump stops and instead install airbags.
I'm not familiar with when airbags or airlifts are the ideal application but for other aftermarket types I've run the gamut of choices out there with my purchases over the years. I agree with PapaSmurf2k3 that springs are often the culprit for bottoming out conditions, assuming your shocks or struts are in good condition. The jounce bumper is more of a fail-safe device to keep failed springs or shocks/struts from causing a hard stop bottoming out event against your chassis as well as added protection against the same under normal conditions when all things are good but you hit a deep pothole or experience extreme off-road conditions or have a heavy load.

As for the jounce bumper you linked to, I too purchased a Febest brand, which referenced the correct Nissan part 552400W010 for my '02 3.5L Pathfinder and it looked exactly the same as an OEM part, but the 55240AD010 part number you indicated is specified for the 3.3L Pathfinders. It's all good if that's what you have. Just be sure about that as there may be a fit-up difference.

My experience with aftermarket springs has steered me toward purchasing good variable rate springs instead of constant rate springs. A good variable rate spring provides increased compression force at extreme conditions (i.e. potholes, off-road, heavy loads) but are not too stiff for normal driving conditions.

However, all bets are off with any spring if your shocks/struts are shot or weak. A simple test to detect shot or very weak shocks and struts is the bounce test at each corner or the vehicle. This test is not the be-all and end-all test for any shock or strut but it is definitive in determining if your shocks or struts are very weak or completely shot. Here's one video I found that shows and explains the test. >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8i-zyD ... rcheapAuto

I hope this helps.

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

I purchased new shocks, then aftermarket springs, which did nothing to cure bottoming out when towing any load. I found the variable rate springs, as well as the medium-duty springs, to be far more expensive. However, seeing as how the standard issue did nothing..

Frank01pathfinder
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I have air bags on my pathfinder. Works great when carrying my dirtbike on my hitch carrier.

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

I used to bottom out, especially with an adult in the back seat. I got a pro lift 1000 kit, problem solved. It worked great and actually smoothed out the ride quite a bit! After a few years one of the bags developed a leak, though. I am still for the solution, though.

JayArras
Car: 2013 Pathfinder SL Premium

Sad to see that this has always been a problem with Pathys and still persists in the new-generation Pathfinders. I guess Nissan just doesn't care to fix it.

AJRK
Car: 2001 QX4 4x4, 2003 Jaguar XJR, 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T 6MT

Has anyone gone with the Moog 81115 rear springs? Will they fit with the replacement bump stops listed above or do I need to go with the AC delco? thanks in advance

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”