Rear Auto Brake and rear sonar with bike rack

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Maxamus
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

I purchased a 2019 Rogue and always have a bike rack on it, every time I backup I have to temporarily disengage the RAB in order to backup, it is about a 10 step process on the steering wheel to shut it off. Once I shut off the car and turn it back on I have to do this process again. Does anyone know how to disengage this easier or permanently?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

From the owners manual:

Maxamus

Rogue One, Thank you for looking at that in the manual. I tried the above and it doesn't work. So the 2019 Rogue has a Rear Auto braking system and you have to go through 10 buttons to shut it off and once you shut the engine off you need to do the process again as it resets itself and it states that in the manual. I have a bike rack on I think so every time I restart my car I have to go through that process. I have the dealership running it up the food chain to figure it out and nothing yet. I have the bike rack on all the time so this is unacceptable to have to do this every time. I'm trying to find a way to disable it permanently, any ideas appreciated.

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

You didn't realize this would be a problem for you before you bought it? I am sure you had plans on putting the bike rack on it before the purchase. You should have asked those questions then I am kind of glad I did not hold out a few more months for the 2019 and picked up a 2018 instead. Install a hitch and get a bike rack that connects to it so you can remove it easily.

Maxamus

Frzninvt, no I didn't realize this would be an issue and neither did the dealer. We have the engineers at Nissan involved because this is an oversight on their part. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue with the bike rack on as I found you have to put the car in reverse fast you can't. Bottom line is you should have the capability of shutting the RAB off without it coming back on every time you shut off your vehicle.

bovardc
Car: ???

I have the EXACT same problem with my 2019 Rogue I just bought. Dealership has been less than helpful. Did you find a resolution? I planned on calling Nissan directly but sounds like you already tried that. I hope you found a solution. I don't want to have to take that bike rack off each time I use it.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

bovardc wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 pm
I have the EXACT same problem with my 2019 Rogue I just bought. Dealership has been less than helpful. Did you find a resolution? I planned on calling Nissan directly but sounds like you already tried that. I hope you found a solution. I don't want to have to take that bike rack off each time I use it.
Press Traction Control Off button. It will disengage all of those Emergency brakes (and yes, traction control will be turned off too) instead of going through a million steps.

alefak
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

Has anyone found a solution to the bike rack problem with the rear emergency brake?
I bought a used 2019, swapped my bike rack and hitch from my 2016 rogue, went to the store for a beer and the brake wouldn't let me back up out of the driveway.
Thanks for the update.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'll look into this on Friday. There should be a way to configure the system to power-up with RCTA off, although it might require fooling something with the CONSULT3+ scanner. If someone can shoot me a subject VIN, I can take it directly to Nissan TechLine.

alefak

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:16 am
I'll look into this on Friday. There should be a way to configure the system to power-up with RCTA off, although it might require fooling something with the CONSULT3+ scanner. If someone can shoot me a subject VIN, I can take it directly to Nissan TechLine.
Jn8at2mt5kw503054

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Cool beans, I'll let y'all know.

alefak

The beeping alarm doesn't bother me... Its the RAB that needs to be permanently disabled.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Haven't heard back from our TSR yet, but digging in the ESM I came across a very curious entry. Never saw anything like it before. There's a symptom diagnostic for "System setting is not selectable on the combination meter". It suggests that if the system settings aren't retained after key cycling, the ADAS controller should be replaced. If it's firmware I'm not sure why a repro wouldn't suffice, so maybe there's some weird-but-known issue with the chips in the controller. More to come when I hear from the TSR.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Still nothing from our TSR, he may be away till Monday. However, I found something very interesting in the bowels of the OM, Page 5-144:

"If it is necessary to override RAB operation, strongly press the accelerator pedal."

I'd assume this means you can temporarily turn it off by holding the brake and goosing the gas, which is actually a kind-of-nice solution, easier than a button and rather intuitive. I'd be interested if anyone with a long, safe driveway behind them could try it out and tell the rest of us if and how well it works.

alefak

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Still nothing from our TSR, he may be away till Monday. However, I found something very interesting in the bowels of the OM, Page 5-144:

"If it is necessary to override RAB operation, strongly press the accelerator pedal."

I'd assume this means you can temporarily turn it off by holding the brake and goosing the gas, which is actually a kind-of-nice solution, easier than a button and rather intuitive. I'd be interested if anyone with a long, safe driveway behind them could try it out and tell the rest of us if and how well it works.
I tried the accelerator override and it does override the brakes but it fights them. you have to wait on the emergency brakes to engage which feels like slamming on the brakes, so it’s really not an ideal way to treat a vehicle. Makes a godaweful noise and then you have to rev the engine to overcome the brakes. Nissan made an SUV that cannot have bike racks or cargo carriers on the rear? Thanks for taking a look at this. Maybe there’s something that can be done.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm still waiting to hear from the TSR and TechLine, don't give up. Things are probably messed up at corporate because of the holiday. If it turns out it's a known issue and replacing the ADAS will cure it, chances are you can get a new one under warranty. I'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for testing the theory.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Heard back from the DTS, he'll be looking into it on Monday. Meantime, something occurred to me that y'all could try. The sensors have smartwork so you can't disconnect them, but it should be possible to "blind" them with apiece of foam that allows them to broadcast but absorbs any return. Echo strength on ultrasonic systems falls off as the cube of the distance, so I think there's a good chance it will work if someone wants to try it. About a 1" thick piece of closed-cell foam should do the trick unless the sensors are smarter than I'm giving credit.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sorry to say, it looks like this is SOL from a programming/configuration standpoint. There's no disabling utility for RAB in the CONSULT, and if there's a p/n to reconfigure the ADAS without RAB, the DTS won't part with it (no doubt a liability issue). However, I did some experimentation in my lab with an old sensor. It only took 1/4" of foam to kill the return signal and blind it. I have a compatriot checking it in situ on a '20 at the shop later today, and I'm optimistic that the results will be positive and it will be a viable work around. Only the outer pair of sensors should need to be covered.

Of course I'll add a disclaimer too: Nissan would tell you you're disabling an important safety system and they won't be responsible if you crash your bike rack or the car attached to it. I won't either, but after all this discussion, I'll presume y'all know what you're doing.

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Maxamus wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 am
Frzninvt, no I didn't realize this would be an issue and neither did the dealer. We have the engineers at Nissan involved because this is an oversight on their part.
To be honest, I doubt that this question would have ever crossed my mind in the purchasing phase if I were in your place. A buyer can't anticipate how a new vehicle with features a driver may never have had before will react to installing a bike rack.

I wonder how this feature would work if, say, a driver were hauling a small trailer, like for a kayaks?

Maxamus, thanks for your posts and please keep the thread updated with any new information. I'd like to see a couple photos of the rack and it's relationship to the vehicle. Can you post a shot or two?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sadly, I'm pretty sure trailering would cause the same issues. I made it clear to the DTS that this is a "bad for the brand" sort of issue, and hopefully he'll give it a swift kick upstairs.

alefak

Altair 4 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:13 am
Maxamus wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 am
Frzninvt, no I didn't realize this would be an issue and neither did the dealer. We have the engineers at Nissan involved because this is an oversight on their part.
To be honest, I doubt that this question would have ever crossed my mind in the purchasing phase if I were in your place. A buyer can't anticipate how a new vehicle with features a driver may never have had before will react to installing a bike rack.

I wonder how this feature would work if, say, a driver were hauling a small trailer, like for a kayaks?

Maxamus, thanks for your posts and please keep the thread updated with any new information. I'd like to see a couple photos of the rack and it's relationship to the vehicle. Can you post a shot or two?
heres a pic of the rack and bike on a 2016. same set up on 2019. anything behind the vehicle like a trailer would probably cause the same problem.
Attachments
Capture.GIF

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

I wonder if a raised receiver adapter would raise the bike rack sufficiently to allow the sensors to have a clear view? I've seen adapters on etrailer.com and on Amazon with 4 inch to 6 inch raise built in. I don't know where the sensors are on the 2019 model, though, to know if that would provide the clearance you need.

Here's an example:
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45794

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I doubt that would help, the sensors are mounted around mid-bumper with about +/- 60 degree beam angle. I think you'd need to lift it a few feet to get the rack out of the beam, not a few inches.

alefak

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 am
I doubt that would help, the sensors are mounted around mid-bumper with about +/- 60 degree beam angle. I think you'd need to lift it a few feet to get the rack out of the beam, not a few inches.
Thanks for everyone’s comments. Very helpful. The foam masks... just tape them over the sensors?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yes, or self-stick foam. I'll be heading to the shop shortly and will have some more finite answers later today. My lab experiment indicated it wouldn't take much foam, but I suspect the type may be important, closed-cell will likely be much more effective and require less thickness than open-cell.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm pleased to announce it works even better than I hoped, a mere 3/32" of self-stick closed-cell makes it blind as a bat. Not sure if the center sensors need to be covered, I think RAB uses only the outboard ones.

alefak

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm
I'm pleased to announce it works even better than I hoped, a mere 3/32" of self-stick closed-cell makes it blind as a bat. Not sure if the center sensors need to be covered, I think RAB uses only the outboard ones.
im all over that! I will put some on tonight and try it out! Thanks so much.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome! For a fix that will stay permanent, get foam with a sealed surface that won't absorb much moisture. Won't do much good if it peels off in a rainstorm!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

alefak wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:01 pm
im all over that! I will put some on tonight and try it out! Thanks so much.
Soooo.... I'm waiting with bated breath, how did it work for you? :wavey:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I like to interject that they have great foam adhesive door seals at any local automotive store that you can cut to size. You can also use gorilla tape or flex seal tape to cover the foam, if you're not into looks or a way to neaten it up.

I Love the way you can macgyver something up as a solution to this problem. I actually thought of this myself, but wasn't too sure if these pertained to those button things in the back. Since I'm not familiar with the rear auto brake stuff. :dblthumb:

I grew up with the pull up center emergency hand brake. :naughty:

Return to “Rogue Forum”