REAL WIRING DIAGRAM 88 300ZX

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
aaronsuleske
Car: 1988 Nissan 300ZX

Looking for a REAL wiring diagram for subject car. I have the shop manuals, the owners manual, etc. which are full of connectors and useless info. I'm looking to use a color-coded wiring diagram or two to be able to trace faults such as grounds, etc. The English and Italian cars I've worked on are super in their diagrammatics approaches. Not so with the Japanese so far. Easy to get lost in the woods. Any suggestions? Where are all of those diodes?? Thanks.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Any REAL diagrams generally come from the OEM, them not doing it then good luck, there likely may be none to be had.

Best guess is color ones have died in the last 20 years even in the aftermarket manuals as they cost more money to print, they have gone pretty much black and white too. Color was fine on single or two page diagrams but too expensive to print on the 15-20 page ones you need now. Most english cars now are black and white too.

The complexity of modern diagrams is now so much that those things are going away, you have to pay someone to come up with them and nobody wants to do that. The OEM engineers did it before but they use them for other things now, like redesigning parts to break faster so there are more parts sales, and unitizing separate parts to be part of greater assemblies for the same reason. Not to mention figuring out how to install every single part super easy as long as the major assemblies (engine, trans, etc.) are still out of the car and on assembly stands, while making them almost impossible to get to once the car is assembled. That is an engineering skill of the highest order and demand now. Your electrical issue is one calculated to fit right in there too. The OEMs used to care about how long maintenance took on things, now they have flipped that over after realizing the more difficult every single task is even for their own mechs the more money they can charge for it. Why things like so-called 'minor' tuneups have changed from say $25-$35 in the '70s to go for $800-$1000 now.

Adding the ECMs and all the sensors needed did that, the OEMs assume anybody smart enough to be able to work on them have the skills to read the 'useless info' to use it. The Japanese add to that, they love needless complexity, it is in their DNA.

Until some fanboy comes to the front to make up a diagram like that you may be out of luck.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

I snagged a whole stack of wiring foldouts before I left Nissan. I don't recall seeing a Z31 in there, but I can double check. It'll be a couple days before I can get out to my storage unit to check, so please be patient. If I find em, I'll see what I can do about getting some high res scans.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”