Ready for turbo...

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
240nismo
Car: Master of bation

OK, i was gonna keep it all motor,(already have pistons, rods, nismo valvetrain with stainless valves, cams, headers, intake, JWT ECU, 550cc Injectors, + many other mods) but i need more power. I've decided i wan't ~475-500rwhp when im done (thats including a 100 shot of nitrous). I have a T-61 turbo... will that meet my power needs? Suggestions? comments?

TomsMR2
Car: cars.. etc

i think you need bigger injectors.. the ecu is useless. for the kinda power i *really* think you need standalone.

240nismo

enlighten me on what that is... not good with the terms

SingleCamSam

A stand-alone is a complete replacement ECU that allows you to adjust fuel and timing parameters yourself. It's the next step beyond piggybacks and JWT. For when you start making stupid amounts of horsepower. :)

ucfz31s13
Car: Business/Networking/Web

SDS, Motech, etc...

lataz

z

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

So assuming you want 400 hp from the motor on boost with an optional 100hp shot from the bottle. I don't see why a JWT ECU programmed to run 72lb injector won't work. Your gonna need some port/polish work, might as well do a 3 angle race grind for your valves as well. While your in the block changing your pistons and rods you should have the entire rotating assembly to include your flywheel lightened and balanced. Replace all the bearings and what not. Make sure your oil pump is working up to factory specs.

I always recommend some alcohol injection. Just to kill any chance of detonation.

WD

240nismo

No, i already have all those things IN my motor, im running a KA all motor with all the pistons, shotpeened rods and stuff already in it. I have to take engine apart to replace my headgasket right now anyways, so i'll do the port and polish. I already have a lightened flywheel (14lbs) and a 6-puck clutch. Would the 11.1:1 Pistons be a problem with a Turbo added? And where can i find info on the "3 angle race grind" for my valves?

WDRacing-i figured the JWT ECU (assuming i put 72lb injectors in) would work, anybody have comments about that?I might put some extra solenoids for some jack daniels in there for ya WD lol Where could i find an alcohol injection system?

gogeeta13

240nismo wrote:No, i already have all those things IN my motor, im running a KA all motor with all the pistons, shotpeened rods and stuff already in it. I have to take engine apart to replace my headgasket right now anyways, so i'll do the port and polish. I already have a lightened flywheel (14lbs) and a 6-puck clutch. Would the 11.1:1 Pistons be a problem with a Turbo added? And where can i find info on the "3 angle race grind" for my valves?

WDRacing-i figured the JWT ECU (assuming i put 72lb injectors in) would work, anybody have comments about that?I might put some extra solenoids for some jack daniels in there for ya WD lol Where could i find an alcohol injection system?

Considering you want 400+ HP, and with how much boost you will be pushing, no you do not want those 11CR pistons. Get down to 9, or 8.5.

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

Would he be using race fuel all the time, if he did keep the 11:1 pistons? I assume he is using some sort of fuel additive right now, 11:1 is not something u have while using pump gas, right?

sil80

WDRacing

Lose the 11.1/1 CR pistons...

Do a search on alcohol injection through yahoo, you should be able to find quite a few kits. I'll be selling one myself come Jan when I get back.

Any machine shop should be able hook you up with a 3 angle valve grind.

WD

Projex240
Car: Dogs , My RIDE

Alchohol.......*drooling all over myself* Good stuff, but...for someone who thought about using 11:1 cr on a turbo motor with a t-61, I wouldnt recommend it. When you put a head gasjet on that, get a REALLY thick one...9:1 is perfect for even the biggest boost if the proper fastners are used.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

I would seriously reccoment some lower compression pistons, a complete ECU remap by JWT at a miniumu,, preferably with a piggy-back computer added for fine adjusting, and possibly even adjusting thigns upward for nitrous(the s-afc2 does have the ability to store two different injector maps), and a stand-alone would be nice to have since he obviously has a ton of money to spend...hehe.

also, a set of NISMO engine bearings would be nice, they have oil grooves made into them allong with being made of better material than stock bearings. also, contact JUN about getting a chromoly flywheel, its muchs tronger than stock, and weighs 11lbs.-chetalso, dont use a larger headgasket to reduce compression, its a band-aid for incorrect piston selection.

240nismo

Ok, i see all your points are valid, but why couldn't i keep the 11:1 pistons? what is the worst senario? Couldn't i just mill them down? Did i choose a good turbo, i was also thinking of selling my T-61 and getting a Garrett GT32 ??? Is that smart or just stay with what i got?

SingleCamSam

Milling them down would probably compromise their structural integrity. 11:1 compression+Boost+Pump Gas = Your pistons are going to mill themselves down lol. Seriously though you'd detonate like crazy without race gas.

TomsMR2

240nismo wrote:Ok, i see all your points are valid, but why couldn't i keep the 11:1 pistons? what is the worst senario?

i dunno about the worst.. best senario would be that the pistons melt themselves without destroying the rest of the engine.

if you dont know why you cant use 11.1:1 pistons in a turbo motor.. i really dont think you have the knowledge to make a 400hp blackboxed turbo motor.. no offence really. having a super high strung turbo motor with 1/2 assed management takes alot of know-how.

TomsMR2

btw, when you send your ecu to JWT to have it tuned for boost.. they tune it to theoretical parameters. ie:

theoretically, with X turbo, and Y injectors, so-and-so fuel/timing maps *should* work. if you port your head, then its definately a ****-all. the only way to tune for that kind of power is to strap onto a dyno and fine tune the maps!! everything else is half assed.

WDRacing

Good point....

240SXedUp

K, off semi-offsubject...How did you guys learn all this? Just been on the forum so long you've caught on? Have you read books, hung around shops, or what? I wanna learn about this stuff.

SingleCamSam

http://www.google.com is your best friend.

You can learn anything you want by searching. Or just do the stuff first hand and learn by trial and error. :)

240SXedUp

Haha thanks, but I'll go with google

SingleCamSam

Sure? It's more fun to blow motors up and learn from that! No fun for the wallet though...

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

read FAQ's, talk to people who have done what you think you want to do(or something close), read lots of books, and if your REALLY bored, take engineering classes(which I did for a year and a half, then transfered to business...go figure.)-chet

240nismo

Well i found some 9.5:1 pistons my friend will sell me, and i know the owner of a dyno about 20 miles away, so im sure i'll rack up a crap load of dyno runs until it's perfect, I don't plan on doing this alone, I know i don't have the know how, but i have the money and i want to learn, so my mechanic buddy and I are gonna tackle this. Thanks for the help (and the disses Tom lol) any more suggestions would be welcome

240nismo

i managed to get all the bolts off of my intake mani but i doesn't want to come loose?! i've hammered it with a deadblow hammer, and tried prying it, and im sure i got all seven bolts out, can anybody help me?!

240nismo

heres my list of needed parts for the turbo job... tell me if i need to add something

-9.5:1 pistons-JWT ECU Retuned-Walbro fuel pump-720cc injectors-custom turbo exhaust manifold-T-61 turbo-Custom down pipe-Boost controller and timer-Front mount intercooler and custom piping

so far i've estimated this project at $2500-$3000 using parts discounted from my friend who works for an import shop. Do i need anything else?!

TomsMR2

240nismo wrote: Thanks for the help (and the disses Tom lol) any more suggestions would be welcome

lol, sorry man. hey i did make a (semi?) helpful post about jwt management :P

really, im not trying to offend or discourage people..but in all seriousness, a blackboxed turbo is NOT a beginner project. the last thing i want to see is someone not prepared mechanically or technically start a ka-t, and end up blowing the whole motor on startup and losing thousands.

TomsMR2

another thing is..

when you're putting it together, chances are, somethings gonna go wrong.. maybe really wrong... and it probably wont be obvious at first. you should have a decent amount of faith in your skills before you start, so you can locate and solve the problem.

if you ask one n00b kinda question, you might have more n00b questions, and might not be able to problem-solve turbo issues. if you think you're ready tho, by all means, go for it :)

240nismo

oh haha i hope u know im not doing this alone, my friend joe (a mechanic for 13 years) is gonna do most of the work, im just paying and helping out with what i can.

240SXedUp

Blow Off Valve and Wastegate? THats pretty cheap for all that stuff.

240nismo

Where can i find some stronger stock cr (8.5:1) pistons? or should i go up a little?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”