Re: loud whoop-whoop noise in left front?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
dbautoappraiser

I need your help:
I have a loud whoop-whoop noise coming from the left front of my 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe, the car has 93K and a Sports Pkg. w/18 inch alloys. I have replaced the front tires with new Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, I have taken the wheel rim to a wheel expert, its perfect? It is something in the suspension? If I turn right the sound gets louder and the faster I go the noise vibrates the car in a bad way.

Please let me know if you have experienced a similar problem, or if you can recommend any solutions?

Thanks David

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Welcome aboard...

You have a bad wheel bearing that needs to be replaced.

dbautoappraiser

Thanks for your suggestion, I am replaccing the front wheel bearing today.

Best Wishes
David

Guju Rider
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Desert Platinum (Sedan)

I have a similar problem and its from my right front. It not noticeable while accelerating, but while driving through a parking lot such as Wal-Mart or something, you can hear it. At first I thought it might have been a tab or two that finally broke from the fender lining but I stopped to check that and all the tabs were still in place and nothing was dragging. Then I went out of town (on purpose taking my car) and it started to be more louder when decelerating without your foot on the brake. When you apply the brake, the sound does get a little bit lower. But when coasting to a stop light, after about 45 mph or so, the noise was lower than when I first noticed the sound. My thoughts were bearing, but then did a forum search on the different G forums and most said wheel bearing but there were some other suggestions too.

So is it safe to say its the wheel bearing and what parts do I need?

RED_DET
Vendor

You don't have a wheel bearing issue, you have a tire issue. The early model g35 and 350z were prone to tire feather issues on the inside. As the tires feather more the louder they get when decelerating to a stop.

Guju Rider

Maybe there's a tear on the inside of the tire? I might just have to take that tire off and see whats up. But I had the rotate/balance done a few weeks ago which was fine, but this noise thing just happened as of the 1st of this month. I drove my car out of down on 6/27/12 and the noise wasn't there. And I didn't have any issues, 100% of the drive was highway. No pot holes or bad road anywhere. But I'll have to take the tire off and see the inside. No wobble in the steering wheel when accelerating or decelerating or at any speed. I was pushing about 85-90 mph on I-10 (no noise at all). The car itself felt fine, just when i coast to about 45 mph and then all the way to 0 mph.

Still curious if it could be the bearing and hub. Any others wanna put their two cents in?

RED_DET
Vendor

You don't even have to take the tire off, run your hand on the inside tread blocks and see if they run high-low. The tire feathering issues is a PITA on these cars, especially directional tires. The make most noise during slow the phase and then when braking. The noise really doesn't exit during normally highway speed.

Guju Rider

after finding out someone drove my car and that this person accidentally ran the passenger tire onto the sidewalk while coming out of the CVS, I think that the tire might have a bulge in it on the inside which may be rubbing against some suspension components.

I'm not running the OE 215/55/17 but 225/50/17 so I'm sure that has a little to do with something.

The sound wasn't a constant whoop-whoop. It was more specific to when a part of the tire came around as it was rotating.

Missouri Swede
Car: 2022 QX60 Sensory AWD. Deep Bordeaux.

[Gone:
2012 G37x. Graphite Shadow. Navigation and Premium Package. Retired in 2021.
2013 JX35. Midnight Garnet. Premium Package. Replaced with QX60 in 2022.]

RED_DET wrote:You have a bad wheel bearing that needs to be replaced.
My 2012 G37x started making this same noise at about 19,000 miles (also left front side, worse when turning to the right). It wasn't really loud, but I could tell it was something different. Rotating tires, rebalancing, alignment all didn't fix it. The dealer thought it might be a tire issue, or possibly a bearing.

I eventually replaced the tires (25,000 miles), but that didn't affect it at all, so I took it back to the dealer. I don't think they ever really heard/felt the sound even on a test drive, but they took my word for it. He replaced the bearing under warranty. Problem solved. I'm happy. :) (Thanks, Infiniti of Springfield.)

dspera
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37X

For those that believe this is a tire issue, it is not. I have the same noise in my 2012 Infiniti G37X with 97K miles. I keep my car well-maintained. I have just replaced not only the tires, but the brakes and rotors; not because of the noise, but because all was needed for regular maintenance. None of this has had an affect on the Whoop noise. I am bringing my car in tomorrow, but I do believe it is probably the wheel bearing. I will update my post if the problem is resolved.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”