Rb26dett

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
MarkSilla28
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx s13 with a 1996 ka24de

Looking into the rb26. How hard is it to swap into an s13 and what would I need? Any help would be great

Mitec
Car: RB20 S13 hatch

Start with the FAQ: what-is-needed-to-swap-a-rb-into-a-240s ... 85294.html

Unless you're sitting on a nice pile of cash, RB26 isn't the way to go. Any particular reason you want it, besides the GT-R cool factor?

MarkSilla28

Just looking into a new swap that a can make a great amount of horse power and something that is worth building

Mitec

Ah, okay. Personally I'd say that RB25 is just as good of an option if not better - cheaper, easier to get into the 240, and has just as good aftermarket support here in the US (not so much for the NEO, though). You can always look at Raw Brokerage's engine packages to get an idea of the potential of each / what's needed in the engine.

If you really want to go all out, find yourself a 3.0 short block and build an RB30.

MarkSilla28

Or do you think it would be smarter to invest all that money into the ka24de? Such as turbo and everything needed for that

MarkSilla28

What if I were to run the rb26 but all stock? U don't think it would just transfer over from the clip to the s13?

Mitec

I couldn't tell you which would be better between KA-T and RB26 .. KA-T would be easier in the sense that there's a lot more parts available stateside if something were to break. More aftermarket support for the RB26 though.

As far as putting in a 26, I believe you'd need at the least custom motor mounts & driveshaft, swap harness and/or standalone ECU, RB25 oil pan (and probably tranny + LSD since you'll destroy the oem trans if it even bolts up), and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

I'd look at some builds people have done on here & the skyline forums to get an idea of what's needed, and make a spreadsheet (can you tell I'm an engineer?) of what you'd want/need to buy for both to get an idea of total cost for each. I'd imagine a stock RB26 and KA-T would be close in price, RB maybe cheaper if you're going forged everything on the KA.

ca18det_boy

What type of funds are you working with is really what's going to determine what you should do. The 26 is a great motor, but if you don't have the funds to do it correctly the first time, you're really going to start hating life. I'm not really sure as to why you even brought up the KA-T though. That question would leave people to think that you're a bit short on funds. If that's the case, you should really just focus on the KA. RB swaps are fun, but it's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" sort of deals. Like Mitec said, the RB25 is a great motor and it's slightly cheaper to get in and running. Going strictly off of retail pricing (off the top of my head), your're going to be looking at roughly 9k to get a rb26 in and running. That's assuming you're not using super expensive parts, and you're careful on what you spend your money on. Now if you can weld, wire, and are creative you can cut that cost down quite a bit. Either way for just the cost of the engine and trans (retail pricing) you can build a 400whp KA.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”