RB26 swap

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Greg
Car: speed

I just met a guy with a Skyline the other day who says he imports engines from Japan. He basicly told me I could put an RB26 into a 240sx. I have always liked 240sx's, I used too have one. I thought a SR20DET swap sounded pretty tempting but an RB26 as something I must do. The guy offered $6500 for the engine transmition and harness. Is that a good price? What is the difference between a RB26 and a RB25? Can I put a R34 valve cover on an RB25?

I want all the information anyone has too offer about an RB26 engine swap for 89-93 model 240's

Daunttless

The swap will cost you 10-15k installed. Read thru some of the other threads, they have information on it, or do a search for RB26. If you want to come out to Iowa, I'll do the swap for you. : ) Also, we sell them for between 5000-6500 dependant upon which engine you want, so it can be had cheaper than he's offering and I'm sure ours are just as complete/more complete. Enjoy your day.

Greg

if the engine and tranny is 5,000 how does it come too 10,000 to 15,000 ?does that include the car, installation, shiping and a full tank of gas and a 10 year warranty? No really thoughInstallation and shipping couldnt be that much I could probably install it my self

Greg

how many RB26 swaps have you done?

Daunttless

I have done 0 RB26 swaps, just like everyone else in the nation. However, this October I am putting one in my personal vehicle. The way that the swap comes out to 10-15k is that thers a lot of custom work involved, labor, and bpu parts and pieces tack on a bit. All that includes is the engine, installation, and BPU. You won't find it any cheaper ANYWHERE. : ) Enjoy your day

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

http://www.unstable-hybrids.co....html

ChickenBoo

Greg wrote:Is that a good price? What is the difference between a RB26 and a RB25?

.1 litres of displacement. And the RB26 is a dett where as the RB25 is just a DET, although most people would probably swap the RB26 to a DET anyway, for space converstation. Also, the RB26 transmission is AWD, where the RB25 is RWD. I think that's accurate. Someone correct me if any of this is wrong. The RB25 RWD transmission supposedly mates up to the RB26 as well, so you can use the bigger engine while not having to mess around with convertin your car to AWD.

I'm suprised no one answerd that question yet, but I hope it was helpful.

ChickenBoo

Greg wrote:I want all the information anyone has too offer about an RB26 engine swap for 89-93 model 240's

There isn't any information to be had on that actual swap really. I think you can get factory service manuals translated from some translating company in New Zealand or something. They have links at http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/ but that's about the best you can get. It should help you with wiring, but in all honesty, although expensive, I'd let a company do it. They have access to all the materials they'll need, tools, and they take the wrap if they can't get it in/get it to start. Food for thought. Like Dauntt said, although there are a few companies doing it, no one has completed it. No offense but the guys at unstable and afterdark and all those other importers with guys who know what they're doing, and have done plenty of swaps, and you really think you can get yours done before them? If you wanna give it a shot, start a thread of your own with pics and such listing problems you've run into and such. It would be greatly appreciated by all. Just keep in mind that you're looking to put a inline 6 into an engine-bay made for a 4, PLUS a turbo and intercooler (2 turbos if you're staying with a stock RB26).

Once again, If i'm wrong or stating something correctly, someone lemme know, I'm not claiming to know tons about any engines, let alone these. : ) Any more questions?

pampadori

for what its worth...the rb20 and rb25 transmission lines up with the stock ka and sr spot. the shifter comes up and the mount actually bolts to the car correctly. the motor mounts are about 4.5 inches forward. some simple custom adapters will take care of that. that puts the engine in the car. next we have wiring. like most nissans, the rb series has a ecu that plugs into dash wires and the rest go to engine. figure out the 10 or so dash wires and that leaves you with the grey and brown plugs that supply power and what not. this is going to be the hard part i bet. i have a how to article from a austrailian mag with details about the rb20 and 25 swap. but it has little details about wiring. what about stand alone? that takes care of it. heater hoses? just do with out heat if it is that damn hard. i say you should try it. i know i'll help as much as i can. test those limits!shaun

tweak180

why does the 26 cost nearly 6500? what are you including with it? thats double to triple the cost of the engine. Even with the work I highly doubt it would cost a min. of 10-15 to get the engine in. people have shoved them into old datsuns for less than 6k. but the older datsun is much easier to do the swap into, seems like trying to put it into a LHD S13 will just be a headache. Kind of like the FD with the 2JZ, a lot of work that turns into something that isnt very functional or practical

SRdS14
Car: Workin on my car, chillin with friends, basically whatever...

this is all i have to say about this issue...if you get the rb26dett swap...then u r the frikken man. if i had the money to do it, i would do it in a heartbeat...its not the motor that kills you, its the labor putting it in. but imagine the BALLS you would have...~Scott

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

RB25 - single throttle body 9:1 compression RB26 - individual throttle body 8.5:1 compressionRB25 - 370cc injectorsRB26 - 450~cc injectorsRB25 - one T3 flangeRB26 - two t2 flanges good for 2530s which make 500whp stock bottom end not changing anything else

bruinbear714

hey dauntless, do you happen to sell motor mounts for the rb20 swap?

Daunttless

Motor mounts for a skyline crossmember or for a 240 crossmember? Skyline yes, 240 no.

SilviaJunkie
Car: Girls with 240's

Hey, check out a shop called CTC motorworks (motorsports?) in Richardson, TX. Maybe you could email a tech that works there named Chris. Just recently he's been to Japan to check the prices on used RB motors, in the near future (couple of months) he'll be swappin' them into other nissans, possibly in a shop of his own. He's a really nice guy with a phat 240 (should be in Turbo Mag next month), and you could probably just email him like I said and he'll help you out with info.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

tweak180 wrote:why does the 26 cost nearly 6500? what are you including with it? thats double to triple the cost of the engine. Even with the work I highly doubt it would cost a min. of 10-15 to get the engine in. people have shoved them into old datsuns for less than 6k. but the older datsun is much easier to do the swap into, seems like trying to put it into a LHD S13 will just be a headache. Kind of like the FD with the 2JZ, a lot of work that turns into something that isnt very functional or practical

You don't live in the US right? Any importer prices their RB26s around 6500, some even higher. It would be impossible to get one for under 5k, unless you are the importer.

10-15 is if you let someone do it. Doing it yourself would be much cheaper I am sure (but then again all the medical problems caused by the stress may make it more costly).

I think the FD with the 2jz is absolutly pointless. I don't see the purpose. Now an RB in a Supra, that is just too hot.

volcom850

hi i actually bought a black 240sx a few weeks ago and im having r34 gtr front clip, computer and monitor screen, and a silvina front end conversion sent to me. it was about 5k for the parts and by the time i pay shipping and taxes to get it to me its about 6k any way the motor and computer is going to cost me 2k to install but i have to leave it with the guy for a month. to do this swap you need some one who is a expert at car wiring the eletrical is the hard part any way ill have about 15k into it including the car so i guess i did pretty good on the price. im considering selling the engines but honestlly how many people have 6k+labor lying around for an engine swap? ill take some pics and post them after im done but it wont be for over a month since the engine takes a month+ the body work.:D

volcom850

ow yeah and if you search on google theres a few big companies that will do the swap including the engine for 7-10k and one even offers a skyline 4wd conversion for an extra 5k

pampadori

you think a 2jz into a rx7 is pointless? you would rather have an rb? thats crazy. 2jz is my favorite motor. rb can't make the power without building it. rb is an okay motor, but i think the supra motor is stronger. i can't tell you why, but i have seen many 900hp at the wheel stock 2jz motors. never have i seen a car with 900hp with a stock rb. as far as rx7 motor. no where near the potential per cost. shaun

APEXi240

2JZ in an FD is pointless. You are destroying the handling. You're going through thousands of dollars of custom installation for what? All the money you spend could be better spent on building the FD. You'd have a much more balanced and capable car.

If the 2JZs are so powerful, why did the president of Top Secret swap an RB into a Supra? Jun's top speed Supra hasn't come near to the top speed of their old Sklyine. If you are making huge horsepower then the RB is the way to go. If you are looking for something around 5-600 I'd say go with a 2JZ, cause you can basically double horsepower on the stock block. But for the big dogs the RB is better.

Not that I'll ever even own a 500hp car....

pampadori

i can't help that its got a slower speed. but i have never heard of a stock rb making 900hp at the wheels. i have heard of like 15 stock piston and con rod supras making 900hp at the wheels. also, the top secret supra uses a 3s mr2 motor. its a four cyl.shaun

APEXi240

There is a 3s-gte motored Supra, but the Presidents personal car is an RB powered Supra...It hit 300km/h on a public highway in England. The next run he was clocked doing 150(mph) and was arrested.

Top Secret owns more than one car.

battle D
Car: drifting

yes apexi 240 is right bout the fd leave it alone its greatest asset is its handling its 13B is soo light and the reason top secret put an mr-s 4 in thier supra was for better weight distribution which plays a vital role at those speeds

SaruDorifto
Car: drifing 0 to yun battle highway battle and Initial D!!!

ahhhh why destroy the weight distibution of the rx-7 w/ a 2jz gte ahh lets hope re aninmeya doesnt hear that or he will prsonaly give you some doremon dicipline and ill give you a saru slap after taht!lol and yes even thou the mr-s engine did not have the same dispacment the weight distribution was nearly perfect for the speeds that the supra was traveling at!!!! pray to god of saru i hope your speed over the rival!

speed demon

I was looking into doing a skyline swap also. I've seen a rb25de non turbo swap done before. The guy used an adapter plate for the front motor mounts which moved the motor towards the front of the car a few inches. What it was, was a 1/2" thick sheet of steel that bolted to the stock mounts and allowed the motor to be bolted in a few inches forward. He said that he also shortened the drive shaft an inch or so. For wiring I don't know how he did it. I would use a stand alone few management system which would not be much harder than wiring a 240 for an sr20det, 2 more coil packs and 2 more injectors. I would defintely get a front clip though, this will save you a lot of money in the long run. I'm pretty sure Neishlin in city of industry in California has a rb25det front clip for around $4500. (neishlinmotors.com)

lucky
Car: chicks, cars, computers

Honestly, I think that the reason Top Secret put the RB into the Supra and SP Engineering put the 2JZ into the RX7 to show off what they can do. It's kind of like advertising for the company. I personally know several people who own 850rwhp supras that are running on the stock block. I'd be willing to say that many of the higher HP RB engines have upgraded internals. I have alot of respect for the RB engines but to state that the 2JZ isn't for the big boys is an ignorant statement. And actually, if you keep up with current events, Jun's top speed supra has demolished Top Secret's speed record by over 100km/h. Here is a quote from Jun's website Quote »JUN AKIRA SUPRA participated in the BONNEVILLE NATIONAL SPEED TRIALS which is held at the Salt Lake City in USA. We have challenged the BONNEVILLE SPEED TRIALS 4times since 1997. JUN AKIRA SUPRA recorded top speed and exceeded 400km/h of the first target. Top speed was 249.292mph(401.20km/h, average speed was 240.192mph:386.55km/h). [/quote]. Think before you speak :D

Team503
Car: '92 S13, '02 CBR600F4i

lucky is right on the dot. There's a guy (Jim LaBrae, jimlab on rx7club.com) swapping a built 350 into his FD, and he's not destroying the weight balance. While the beauty of an FD lies in it's unique engine, I would point something out to you.

While you see tons of high horsepower Supras (700-900hp, even a few in the 1000hp range, and all WHEEL hp), how many do you see racing? If the car is so superior, why doesn't it win more races?

Ari Yallon DOMINATES the Street Class in IDRC and IHRA (pre-merger) - his competitions is DSMs for the most part. If Supras are so great, then why aren't they winning?

I've seen lots of 900hp Supras run 11s and 12s at the track all day long. I couldn't speak about top speed, there's not much of that in the US except at Bonneville, which has really only recently become of interest to the import community as a whole.

Ari's FD, when running 650hp, ran 9s on street tires and stock transmission. The only MkIV I have ever seen run 9s was on slicks, and was tubbed. 'Course, it runs eights and is breaking sevens, but it's a tube frame now.

The 2JZ in an FD was an excercize in engineering to show off what SPE could do. And it was well done, though a tragic waste of an FD.

The RB I really can't comment on - I'm too new to Nissans to have an informed opinion (what I know mostly came from this forum and a few Options videos I can't understand :D ).

I will say this - don't just judge an engine on dyno numbers - judge a total package. Look at built examples, show cars, and race cars to see what the REAL-LIFE potential (which dynos, for all their accuracy, aren't) of the setup is.

You can buy an FD for $16,000, do some mild work, and for less than $30,000 total have an 11 second car that will outhandle 99% of racecars out there.

I bought the S13 for a budget project - my money is going other places, and I'm leaning towards the CA18DET for revability and cost-efficiency. I only want to break into low 13s or so in the car. The next FD is the God Car. :D

pampadori

actually titan motorsports has won the last like 5 races beating ari. they are running 9.01 with street tires and its got tags too. i'm not going to explain the physics, but an extra 400hp will overcome the extra 175lbs. even if its 400lbs, its still not even a question....the rotary simply isn't making the power anymore. 650hp is chicken ****. ultimately, the 2jz can make a lot more power, and hense could be faster. i won't even go into reliability... rotary motors have none. and 20,000 miles doesn't make it reliable.just my opinion...and the truth!shaun:)

Blueorb

How is handling affected by the swap since the engine is a lot heavier then the sr20det / ka24de engines. I have read some articles where they put resin over the rear to even out the weight and to keep it low.

Also I read on one of these forums that unstable-hybrid installed an all wheel drive system on the 240sx. Is this true? if so what does it entail and cost.

pampadori

Blueorb wrote:How is handling affected by the swap since the engine is a lot heavier then the sr20det / ka24de engines. I have read some articles where they put resin over the rear to even out the weight and to keep it low.

Also I read on one of these forums that unstable-hybrid installed an all wheel drive system on the 240sx. Is this true? if so what does it entail and cost.

the all-wheel drive i haven't heard of before. i think it would be tuff as its electronic awd on the newer ones. i don't think you would do an rb swap if you were that into the handling anyhow. the ka isn't light, i wouldn't think the rb is much heavier then it.shaun

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”