RB26 Single turbo swap

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

I'm wondering what size turbos are being used on the RB26 when switching from twin to single turbo? I believe that the stock turbos are T28's, so would a T4 or T6 be enough or too much? My goal is around 600rwhp but i won't be changing internals for a while. I don't have the engine yet, and i was planning to use the stock twins, but it doesn't seem like its been done before. So i figure why not just save myself the headaches and go single right away. So i'm looking for suggestions on what turbo to get, i'm not gonna bother calling shops since i'm not planning the swap until the fall. But i do want to plan it out, and get an idea of cost, etc. Also i'm curious as to who makes SS manifolds for the RB26? Thanks for any help...

And don't tell me to search, i've done that and have been reading on this board for months. There is very little info on the RB26. I know that Accelerated Concepts is doing a single turbo RB26 so i'm hoping they'll be able to help.

Redline...

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

T78, T88, and T51R kai are the most common I see.

Redline240

Really? That big? Wow, i didn't expect that.....well thats gonna kill my budget, ah well....

themadscientist

well not to be the voice of reason(the irony is lost on someone who doesn't know me)but, speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go? I see a lot of guys here that want 1000hp on a 200hp budget and don't seem to get that building power is expensive. The reason I don't have a GT-R is not because i can't buy one, i can but when the oil pump walks and I blow the RB26 I can't afford to build another one. If the price of a basic large frame turbo shocks you maybe you are aiming for a goal you cannot reach?:confused: You know better than anybody what you can swing don't overextend yourself or your car will become a garage queen and you won't have much fun. I have had some really fun shoestring beaters that barely eeked out 200hp but I wasn't afraid to run the crap out of them and try weird ideas because I had $1000.00 wrapped up in the whole car, the motors were common and cheap and I had very simple setups that were easy to troubleshoot and maintain.

Redline240

No no, you got me wrong...money isn't really an issue, if it was i wouldn't go near a RB26, or an SR for that matter...i plan to build the motor, but figured i'd take my time cause it's more fun that way. Anyone can just sink a ton of money into a engine and start with 1000hp, well not anyone but you know. There was no doubt that i was gonna eventually go with a big turbo, i just didn't realize i'd need a T88 for 600hp. I get what your saying though with people planning to build a 10sec car, but gotta save up for a CAI...

as for how fast i wanna go, when i'm too afraid to drive it on high boost then i'll stop....

themadscientist

no, you don't need a T88, a T78 would do you. turbonetics can size up a nice one for you as well.

Redline240

What kinda a/r should i get? And what kinda lag are we talking about on a T78? 4500-5000rpm?

93semax

Ray Hall has few a nice little apps to figure out turbo size. I don't know how accurate it is.

themadscientist

Trust has kits for it, whatever they reccomend, I would just be guessing.

NismoRb25deT

redline240...dude, u sound so much like me, i am also getting a rb26 clip pretty soon (month or so) and i really wouldnt mind having the engine sit in an engine stand in my garage. I read these forums alot along with many others to get as much info on the rb26 swapped into the s14. I am also planning on going single turbo right off, bcs like u said, i find it hard to beleive the twins will fit in the engine bay. So having said that, i am also looking for more and more info as it becomes available. Ultimately, i would love to cream a 600whp supra on the highway with a 450-500hp not-so-huge-***-turbo rb26 in my 240. I recently got me a digi camcorder so i could record all the progress from the rb26 swap. I just wish that people who have done the swap would be more helpful and share info, after all, we are all after ripping some ferrari a new italian a-hole. Jimmy98 240sx 5spd Pearl White LESpec Stage II ClutchB&M short shifterInjen CAIEibach Pro-KitHKS Super Dragger (Got an extra full catback if anyone is interested)Venom 400KYB Gr-2 shocks/strutsStrut Barsoon to sell it all for my rb26

Redline240

NismoRB, I hear ya. I've been reading skylines-downunder lately, there's a lot of useful info there. Just look out for GTR's with single turbos, its very helpful. I'm wondering the strenth of the internals on the RB26, i've read that they're forged but i dunno their limits. It doesn't seem like many on this board can tell me, with the exception of a few like WDracing, which lead me to the skyline board. Keep us up to date on your swap.

Redline

NismoRb25deT

i have also been reading skylinesdownunder.com site and yes its helpfull,ive heard from diff people that the rb26 can take 550hp on stock internals. My main goal right now is just to have the rb, then get a single turbo (that isnt too big, just replace the stock twins), t-manifold, dp, test pipe, exhaust, intake and boost controller, im going for around 350 hp with that setup, which shouldnt be hard to do considering that the rb26 has close to 300hp, it may be rated at lower hp, but actually has more. I dont plan on having a crapload of hp right off, ill start saving for the bigger turbo later, maybe 6 months after i get used to the power. I just simply want to use the stock ecu, injectors, fuel pump(might replace just to be on the safe side) and fmic. I've heard alot about the t04R turbo from supra guys, would this be a good single turbo for say 650-700hp?on the Rb26?

Redline240

Well i've been reading like mad, and i've narrowed it down to a few. T51R, T66, T78, T88.

But if i can find a smaller turbo with a T4 flange for cheap i may go for it, then i won't need to switch manifolds when i get the larger turbo. If i get the big one i'll have to keep it on low boost so i can still use the stock injectors, i've read they're good to almost 400hp. The other reason for low boost is so that i can used to it like you said, cause i'm in no way ready to handle a 500rwhp beast.

Have you found a good manifold yet? What about a FMIC, have you found one to fit a 240 that can handle that kinda power?

what have you got planned for fuel/boost managment? I was thinking AEM's race ECU if its out in time, but with the purchase of the larger turbo i may have to save a little for that....the money has got to stop sometime.

How are you gonna put it to the ground? Have you picked out a LSD yet? I was thinking R33 GT-S LSD, but not sure yet...

And who are you getting the engine from?

Redline...

Vkoslak
Car: 1992 240SX SE rb26dett, 2004 Subaru Forester

Hi guys, I see youre talking about putting rb motor in an s14 in here, something im considering for the future. I was wondering whether you were going to keep the stock fascia, or if a nice big fmic would even fit with the stock fascia. I really like the front on the 98se I have, and I prefer to have my car be more of a sleeper. Also is anyone looking into putting the racelogic traction control system on their rb powered 240? I was planning on doing that just so my girlfriend could continue to drive the car :)

Redline240

I can't help ya with the FMIC under the stock bumper, i'm planning to install a R33 front bumper/lights/hood/fenders if Night can get them for a decent price.....i havn't asked him yet though, i keep forgeting to get his e-mail.....but i'm sure there is someone here with a FMIC on a S14 that can help ya.

But whats this Racelogic TCS you talk about?

Vkoslak
Car: 1992 240SX SE rb26dett, 2004 Subaru Forester

Its mentioned quite a bit on twinturbo.net, I also own a 300zx. You can get info here http://www.racelogic.co.uk/There is a place in the US you can order these from.

Redline240

Seems like a lot of hassel if you don't have ABS. The V-BOX looks pretty interesting, probaly really expensive though so not worth it unless your buliding a full blown race car...

Redline240

Rather then start another thread i figured i'd just add to this one.

Can someone tell me the exact specs on the stock twin turbos on the RB26DETT? And is there much demand for them, i mean would they sell? When i get the 26 i'm not gonna need them so i'm wondering how hard they would be to sell and for how much...any info would help...thanks

Redline

XtremeHKS

Well I'll have to say the Skyline R33 GTR RB26 can handle more than 550 I'd say around 700 reason i say that is because The R33 we did has a Single-T66 with a bone stock motor cranking 32psi lol Im no dyno but i can tell you that 32 psi on a T66 has got to be well over 550 hp

Nismo Sr22GT
Car: College, taking care of my GF and Son, street racing, tuning cars, anything car related.

Xtreme HKS,what do u drive? what are the specs of your car? Jim98 240sx soon to be rb26 powered...

Nismo Sr22GT
Car: College, taking care of my GF and Son, street racing, tuning cars, anything car related.

Well i've been reading like mad, and i've narrowed it down to a few. T51R, T66, T78, T88.

But if i can find a smaller turbo with a T4 flange for cheap i may go for it, then i won't need to switch manifolds when i get the larger turbo. If i get the big one i'll have to keep it on low boost so i can still use the stock injectors, i've read they're good to almost 400hp. The other reason for low boost is so that i can used to it like you said, cause i'm in no way ready to handle a 500rwhp beast.

Have you found a good manifold yet? What about a FMIC, have you found one to fit a 240 that can handle that kinda power?

what have you got planned for fuel/boost managment? I was thinking AEM's race ECU if its out in time, but with the purchase of the larger turbo i may have to save a little for that....the money has got to stop sometime.

How are you gonna put it to the ground? Have you picked out a LSD yet? I was thinking R33 GT-S LSD, but not sure yet...

And who are you getting the engine from?

Redline...

Hey Redline, sorry, ive been away for a couple of days...ive just been told that i can get one from trust in japan for about 1300, for the single t-manifold.id be using the stock r33 gtR fmic for now, oh and id be taking the stock ecu to SGP (in houston) and have it tuned.I'm getting either the r33 gt-s lsd like you or just get a cheap one from an infinity j30 from a junk yard.Im probably getting the engine from Night or another seller in houston.

email me and ill email you a list of what i have planned for my project.

Nurv
Car: performance engineering, rc cars, beer, tits

all this progreession of the RB swap is great for the 240 community. But use some logic in your HP. all that power is great but be sure you can get it down. power to weight ratio. remember skylines weigh about 3300lbs, a s14 is around 2800lbs (adjust for individual setups), having 400hp all to the ground would enable you to run with cars with more power than you.. does this make sense?

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

The TO4R is an excellent turbo. I'm not sure exactly what kind of drving you guys want to do. Are you looking for drag only?? Do you want to use the car as a daily? The T78 and up will have considearble lag. Depending on your head and cam setup we're talking 4300 and higher. The best thing I can tell you is this, give turbonetics your engine specs and hp goals. They should be to assist you in the best turbine for your car.

Here's what Turbonetics has to say in general reguards to turbin selection compared to displacement.

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT COMPRESSOR TRIM TURBINE TRIM TURBINE HSG 60-100 CID T3-50 Trim T3 Standard .36/.48 100-150 CID T3-Super 60 T3 Standard .48/.63 150-200 CID T3-Super 60 T3 Standard .63/.82 200-250 CID T4-S3 Trim T4 “O” Trim .58/.69 250-300 CID T4-V1 Trim T4 “P” Trim .69/.81 300-350 CID T4-V1 Trim T4 “P” Trim .81/.96 350-400 CID T4-H3 Trim T4 ”P” Trim .96/1.30 400-450 CID T4-H3 Trim T4 “P” Trim 1.30

Go here for further details...http://www.turboneticsinc.com/guidelines.html

WD

Nismo Sr22GT

Thanks for the info WD. I myself mostly plan on freeway/highway racing, i love the way supra/vette/viper/all exotic cars race from a roll to about 170+. But also id like to use my handling at the local track (blimp base in houston). I do understand that i will need less hp to beat a heavier car. I think most of us have that common sense, but thanks for pointing that out. Im not too interested in drag racing, after a while, it gets boring, sure its good for bragging rights and to work on your reaction time, but its just not too exciting to me. Jim98 240sx soon to be rb26 powered

Redline240

Yeah mine will be seasonaly daily driven ride. A little auto x, a little drag, and a lot of bragging rights....i'm thinking a T66, because i want the power but i'd like to at least have it spool up by 4000rpm....

And lucky for me the fastest import around here is a low 13sec talon. No supras, rx7's...just a few SR-S13's, 3000gt, turbo'd hondas....shouldn't be too hard to have the fastest import, :)

andrave
Car: assorted

I don't know if you have the engine already but davies2k on zilvia.net did have an R33 front clip with a greddy T66 already installed for sale.Another thing that I have heard mentioned in regard to big turbos on the silvia chassis is that the skylne is AWD so its more able to cope with really high HP numbers. If you have a laggy *** turbo that comes onto boost while you are going around a corner... well, it might make for an "interesting" street car, to say the least.

Redline240

andrave wrote:I don't know if you have the engine already but davies2k on zilvia.net did have an R33 front clip with a greddy T66 already installed for sale.Another thing that I have heard mentioned in regard to big turbos on the silvia chassis is that the skylne is AWD so its more able to cope with really high HP numbers. If you have a laggy *** turbo that comes onto boost while you are going around a corner... well, it might make for an "interesting" street car, to say the least.

Well thanks, but anyone with deep pockets can buy one, the fun is in building it. And as for the AWD thingy, i don't see the supra guys complaining! With a good lsd, and a mild dose of boost for the streets i don't see it being a huge problem but rather something to get used to thats all...

Redline

andrave
Car: assorted

I've heard some of the supra guys complain. Esepcially after they bought skylines.

paul

Does anyone know where you can find a top mount exhaust manifold? Are the exhaust manifolds interchangeable between the rb25 and 26?

dan240
Car: killing stealth R/T and camaros

Redline240, what city are you in? it sounds tragic wherever you are! sorta like the situation in vancouver over here :o hehehehe

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”