RB26 head on RB25

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Nurv
Car: performance engineering, rc cars, beer, tits

Fitment of a GTR motor would require work, well depending on if you happen to have a RHD car or not. But there are a few that have swapped heads and I know there is modification to get it to work right (i.e. tapping the heads for larger 12mm headbolts, 6 T.B. intake manifold, exhaust). But i guess whats everyone's thoughts on this? im planning on a RB25DET in a s14 chassis for a project car. I would like to go the RB26DETT but seems everyone local wants $4K for a goddamn TT exhaust manifold. so the RB25 seems like a better shot because i evetually want to build the bottom end with end with forged goodies. :D

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Why spend so much for a new manifold, just get some steering work done...it can't possibly cost near as much, and that way you keep the stock manifold and turbos...

Nurv

yeah but every time someone asks to see what that would cost or look like, no one has an answer or changes the subject. i would like to run the TT setup but clearence is the problem.

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

Just go to a local shop and ask them for a quote to completly reroute powersteering lines. Or just ask them how much to replace them all...too my knowledge thats all that needs to be done, but since the swap is so rare it's hard to know for sure...

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

Nurv wrote:Fitment of a GTR motor would require work, well depending on if you happen to have a RHD car or not. But there are a few that have swapped heads and I know there is modification to get it to work right (i.e. tapping the heads for larger 12mm headbolts, 6 T.B. intake manifold, exhaust). But i guess whats everyone's thoughts on this? im planning on a RB25DET in a s14 chassis for a project car. I would like to go the RB26DETT but seems everyone local wants $4K for a goddamn TT exhaust manifold. so the RB25 seems like a better shot because i evetually want to build the bottom end with end with forged goodies. :D

I've asked about head swapping between the RB series at some GTR forums and it seems (from what they say) as though it's not something "to do." If you know of someone who has done it and what's involved, i'd be interested in swapping out my RB20 head for a 25 or 26 head. As far as swapping out the heads on the 25 and 26... i wouldn't bother since the 25 head is suppose to flow very well. If anything, get some head upgrades like valves, springs, and a good ol' pollishing job and it should be just fine.

If you are fighting for the extra .1L displacement... i'd go elsewhere... as in one of the BNR stroker kits.

My .02 on the subject

Nurv

i wasnt after the extra liter of displacement (thats what why a RB26 crank and some JE 82mm pistons come into play) but have heard that the 26 head flows good mainly because of the 6 TB intake but i guess thats some extra fab work i get to do. heh. i only considered such a task due to what i was told.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”