Rb25DETT swap into 92 Q45

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
PoorManQ45

Has anyone ever attempted to swap a Rb25DETT into a Q45? I was thinking about it, and that would be an awesome engine for the Q.

Does anyone have any idea how easy or hard it would be to do this swap? And would it be worth the trouble?

Would it be easier to turbo/supercharge the VH45de, then to do the swap?

Any idea how much it would cost?

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

well, the turbo/supercharging route would be infintely easier and less expensive though the swap would be cooler :)

PoorManQ45

isn't the RB25DETT a more dependable motor than the VH45DE? If so, in the long run it would be cheaper to maintain the Rb, right. And, parts can be found a little easier for the Rb than te VH. Has anybody ever tried a swap like this before? How much would a Rb25DETT cost me?

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I don't know if I agree on either of those counts. An inline 6 TT is inherently less robust than a V-8 of the same power as far as longevity goes. I don't know RB statistics, but there are quite a few members here with 200k+ on their Qs. As for parts, you can order parts for a VH from any Infiniti dealer in the country. The RB25 was only used in the Skyline and Cefiro AFAIK.

Rex
Car: None

PoorManQ45 wrote:isn't the RB25DETT a more dependable motor than the VH45DE? If so, in the long run it would be cheaper to maintain the Rb, right. And, parts can be found a little easier for the Rb than te VH. Has anybody ever tried a swap like this before? How much would a Rb25DETT cost me?

There are 4 RB25DET's on ebay right now with Buy It Now's that vary from $2450 to $3000, not including shipping.

There is 1 RB26DETT on ebay right now with a Buy It Now of $5850, including shipping.

All "appear" to include a tranny and some harness, but for that $$ you could SuperCharge your Q and not have the wiring/ECU nightmares. of course in the end, it's your decision.

PoorManQ45

When I said parts, I meant performance parts. I know I can get OEM parts for the Q easily, but I want more performance. DAEDALUS: your right about the V8 lasting longer than an I6 of the same HP, but i'm think of shooting for between 450-600 from the engine. Even with a supercharger, this can't be done vary easiy with the VH45DE, can it? Besides that, nobody even makes a turbo or supercharger kit for the Q. Meaning I would have to do the fabrication myself, and this could get pretty expensive.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

No, not much aftermarket support for the VH. But the B.A.D. Q supposedly made 380 WHP, which backs out to nearly 500HP crank. I think that was without the nitrous, but I'm not certain. You might want to email AZhitman to get more details, and definitely check out the supercharger threads in Infiniti General.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

i had my heart set on an rb26dett swap into a J30.

after months of planning out a setup, ive come to the conclusion that a VH is a much better route.

the price of a stock rb26 motor is roughly equvalent to the cost of a VH45 and custom pistons and rods. [must add $$ if you cant build a motor]

comparing a 6 to an 8 of similar power, the 8 will have lower stress per cylinder, which adds to its longevity. on top of that, with two properly matched turbos on the VH [twin GT28RS] you will have much more low end torque to help with normal driving.

ive been thinking about this for almost a year now, and the VH is a better choice. i think people are turned off by the fact that not too many people have heavily modded these motors.

personally, i think with the right turbos, dual 3" exhaust, JWT ECU with an Emanage and profec E-01, pistons, rods, oil squirters, strategic ceramic and moly coatings [pistons, heads, bearings], that this motor could more than tolerate bursts of 600 WHP.

if you keep the normal street trim to the 350-400 WHP level, the motor would last for quite some time.

IvoryJ30t

and forget about the auto trans. the Z32TT trans is almost mandatory. at least the TT flywheel is a direct bolt on.

PoorManQ45

Will the Z32TT rans fit on the VH? Is there any modifing that has to be done to it?

I would love to have a manual tranny in the Q.

What would I need to get or do to make this setup work?

And how much would it cost?

PoorManQ45

Is the TT flywheel lighter than stock Q flywheel?

IvoryJ30t

well, i wouldnt be using a stock TT flywheel.

the price is subjective, i can do all of it myself.

i have no idea how much a shop would charge to convert the Q to manual.

parts/work needed-the auto would need to be removed.

you need to aquire an adapter plate for the trans to bolt up. you need a flywheel spacer to put the fly back in alaignment with the trans. you need a manual brake pedal, a clutch pedal bracket, the pedal, clutch master cylinder, the line needs to be run for the clutch hydraulics.

you need to cut a hole in the car under the center console for the shifter to come up. you need to modify the center console for the shifter, and you need to make a shift boot.

IvoryJ30t

if your gonna have a shop do it, i would figure in at least $2,000

PoorManQ45

Is that including the tranny?

IvoryJ30t

if you can get it for a good price [used for a few hundred]

if you buy it new, the tranny is 1600 alone.

PoorManQ45

Any idea where I could get the Auto to manual conversion done. I could do it myself,but I want a clean look.

What about a driveshaft? New one?price?

IvoryJ30t

#1- no#2- driveshaft will need to be modified most likely.

but back to the subject. the RB is not going to be easy.

its gonna need custom motor mounts, tranny mounts [probably], wiring, plumbing, a custom exhaust system, ect ect..

expect to pay around $10,000-$13,000 for parts and labor when its all said and done.

this requires massive fabrication, and is in no way shape or form a "bolt-in" procedure.

IvoryJ30t

you have ALOT of research to do.

start digging in the RB forums...

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Cant be too hard. Someone can make you custom mounts, and a custom driveshaft and not to mention exhaust. Wire up the harness to the ecu and itll fire right up. Then find a way to get the gauge cluster to work and you're rollin. Anything can be done with the right amount of money. And I also think this would bea good idea.

IvoryJ30t

i think a large majority of the installation costs will be due to the complex electrical system in the Q.

a mechanic is gonna take one look at the car, and what your asking him to do, and jack the price up.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”