RB25DET Swap

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Amature240
Car: Cars, Computers

Does anyone know who actualy has done one of these swaps? If so do they have a website or any information up.. Basicly im curious if its goign to bolt in more or less or if im going to need to be doing alot of welding.Pyf

Daunttless

It won't bolt in.

No one has any information listed, nor do they have any walk-thru's up.

It will be more work than a SR20. : )

BenTaylor200

A friend of mine has recently finished this swap in his S13. The fitment of the engine is actually a lot more straight forward than you would think, it only took about 5 hours to bolt in...

This is what he found out:

According to Mick Stanik at Sub Zero Performance the R31 X-member is the best to use, but these are a bit hard to come by, and a bit heavy to ship from Australia or Japan...

He used the R33 GTS x-member too. It bolts straight on. You then swap you lower links over from the S13 to the GTS X-member. This enables you top maintain the std suspension geometery. (If you lower the x-member with spacers, you change it!)

You will need at least, the wiring loom from ECU to engine. Just to be on the safe side, we took the whole loom from the GTS - front to back!

Also:

Custom propshaft (front half) is required Custom front pipe(s) also required Custom AFM and filter supports Custom IC piping Battery in boot Custom rad pipingCustom wiring

It is actually easier to do the wiring if you use an aftermarket system such as a DTA or Motec...

Hope this helps a bit, oh yeah, got a pic of the engine in here:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attach...93123

Since then the car has had a silvia front end fitted, 180sx kouki lights and a full bare metal respray in Midnight Purple, it looks awesome!

Daunttless

Hehe, unfortunately that isn't as easy here either Ben. : ) Did he just have a whole new propshaft made as a single element? Excellent swap, I know a couple guys with it as well, I'm aiming to throw a RB26 into my ride.

BenTaylor200

Ok, you got me on the brakes ;) but I don't see how it would be any more difficult to do the swap over there, If you got a complete R33 GTS front clip you'd have pretty much everything he needed...

Anyway, on my mate's car the back half of the prop is standard s13, the front half is custom made. Also the forward facing inlet plenum from Sub Zero Performance made things a bit easier as far as pipe work was concerned...

Are you serious about the RB26DETT swap? I only know of one place over here that has done it in an S14. Apparently they used the standard SR20 gearbox and had the RB26 sump plated, rather than swapping it for the RB25 bits... Haven't seen it yet unfortunately :(

Daunttless

Yeah, I'm serious about the RB26, my engine gets here in October. I'm using the RB25 tranny, oil pan and lines to make it easier and keep it RWD. Everything else for the original swap will be 100% complete, including bottom mounted turbos. We're going to have to modify the entire steering linkage among other things. After the 100% swap is completed I'm going to tear it all back out and build the engine up. : )

Well, thats the point, you can go out and get a R33 front clip, we can't. : ) Hehe, first you have to find an importer who will bring you the components you need ( I will, but most importers won't ) then you have to pay for the cost to get it over here and everything, the swap probably costs half as much over in Britain because you don't have to cross an ocean to get your bits and pieces. : )

My buddy is converting to a single shorter length driveshaft rather than keeping the half shafts, why did you guys decide to keep two?

BenTaylor200

Yeah, my mate was lucky, and got everything for £1500. It all came from a mint '96 R33 that had a smashed up side. We had to remove the engine, gearbox, loom, etc ourselves - but its a pretty easy job when you don't care about damaging the bodywork...

With the prop, well, it just seemed like the most obvious (and cheapest) way to do it...

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

Are you going to use the RB25 crossmember and engine mounts? Are you going to fit the standard GTR ECU? What are you going to do about the tacho and speedo as they still don't read correctly on my mate's car?

Daunttless

Currently, we're pursuing the idea of the RB25 crossmember and engine mounts, however, when the engine gets here we might be looking at different options ranging from modification to complete custom.

We will be using the standard GT-R ECU for the first installation, including the stock loom, after we do a 100% stock swap we'll be tearing it out and switching to standalone and building the motor to bulletproof status. : )

Currently, I have the gauge cluster with it, I haven't decided on that but I will be using the GT-R speedo with my own MPH markings on it : ) and the GT-R tach. When I switch to the standalone I'll probably go aftermarket gauges. The GT-R cluster doesn't fit into the 240, so I think either I"ll use the tach and speedo gauges and put them in my stock cluster with a bit of modification, or I'll modify the GT-R to fit.

: )

Nizmotastik

i read in another forum that theres a few things that are a problem for the rb25 swap. is there any problems that your friend ran into?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Daunttless wrote:Currently, we're pursuing the idea of the RB25 crossmember and engine mounts, however, when the engine gets here we might be looking at different options ranging from modification to complete custom.

We will be using the standard GT-R ECU for the first installation, including the stock loom, after we do a 100% stock swap we'll be tearing it out and switching to standalone and building the motor to bulletproof status. : )

Currently, I have the gauge cluster with it, I haven't decided on that but I will be using the GT-R speedo with my own MPH markings on it : ) and the GT-R tach. When I switch to the standalone I'll probably go aftermarket gauges. The GT-R cluster doesn't fit into the 240, so I think either I"ll use the tach and speedo gauges and put them in my stock cluster with a bit of modification, or I'll modify the GT-R to fit.

: )

Hey Daunt, you should get a GTR gauge cluster from Motorex, that way it's still the GTR gauges but it's in MPH.

BenTaylor200

Nizmotastik wrote:i read in another forum that theres a few things that are a problem for the rb25 swap. is there any problems that your friend ran into?

The mechanicals were pretty straight forward (remember this was into a RHD car, so no hassle with steering components), the major headache was the electrical side...

Oh and the bonnet (hood) wouldn't close so he had to cut a few holes in the bracing so it would clear the plenum and the cam cover.

Daunttless

Thats true easy, maybe I"ll do that. : )

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

its about time dauntless!we're the only board where our primary moderator doesnt drive an amazing carsoon enough tho, soon enough!

Daunttless

Hehe, well, I like to think that I"m amazing enough to make up for my lacking 240. : )

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Hey, and even though I'm not a post whore like Daunt, I'm *a* primary moderator. And I drive this really cool kick *** FWD sentra :) LOL

Daunttless

Dude, you're such a loser, just get over it.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

haha, well, since it IS a spec-v it'll do just fine.as far as your RB motor dreams Dauntless, i already cant wait to tell my friends what some guy in my car club did!

s14=pimpin'

October is next week, we are all awaiting Dauntt's kick *** 240! How is your current 240 beater coming along BTW?

Ellwood
Car: speed

Thank goodness!!!! I have finally found information I can use. I will be purchasing an RB25DET or SR20DET clip in the near future. Yesterday I was leaning towards the SR but now I am an RB fan. I have gotten infornation from a few New Zealanders but I think they bought their car with the RB installed.(imagine that) I am an aircraft mechanic and the only part of this swap that will take time is the wiring. Meggala has an R33 engine schematic on his website. I guess I will need to configure the wires correctly at the connectors. I plan to run it in stock configuration unless I add a thicker head gasket and all of that stuff that goes with it. I have seen RB25DET powered R33s making 400 hp with four mods. I am sure that I am in the double digits in Hp right now. I had a WRX with four people in it pull away from me on the highway today.This has to stop. I am glad to hear about the different mounts/crossmembers but I am puzzled as to with one is best. Getting a drive shaft made up is no big deal but I would prefer not to cut or weld on my car.I love my 201,000 mile 240. My address is [email protected] and I would be happy to talk to anyone considering this projest. And what is up with all of these SR20DETs on ebay sitting on their oilpans? No thanks. A Nismo pan is $300 dollars and you know oil pump pick-ups are critical.R33 clips for me.

Blueorb

With the RB or even a SR20DET engine how does the ECU's that come with the engine affect the the ABS and Air bag systems? thanks for your imput

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Blueorb wrote:With the RB or even a SR20DET engine how does the ECU's that come with the engine affect the the ABS and Air bag systems? thanks for your imput

Both the ABS and Air bag control units are separate from the ECU. They are unlrelated.

Vrtgrumpy

Mckinney Motorsports has and is doing the RB series was in the 240sx. they all will work, but we feel that the RB25DET iiiiiiis the best bang for your bucks. We will have 2 levels of kits for the DIY guys in 1/1/03 using the stock wiring and computer, with electronics adapter to make the 240 dash work with the RB motors. Our current shop 240 with the RB is sporting the stage 2 up grades with stage 3 comming with the dyno charts soon. see pic's or visit http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com for pictures and info.

Sorry!!

Link wasn't working...........

Should work now...

http://www.eframes.com/default....3093

Ryan of Velocity
Car: Tuning, webstuff, etc.. blah blah

First off, Grumpy, you couldn't swap an RB25 into an S13 if I helped you! lol. Just kidding man. Santeca should be giving you a call here after SEMA about the subject regarding the gauge cluster.

Anyways the RB25 is definantly the RB series motor of choice imho. It's less expenisve easily than the RB26 and honestly I think swapping an RB20DET into a S13/S14 is just a waste of money. The SR is definantly a better swap over the RB20 logically speaking unless you are just trying to "show off" and want everyone to think you are cool.

The RB25 is the best choice, money wise, etc.. It's not diffucult to get an RB25 to outperform and RB26 especially with the money you save:)

ash1y1
Car: Cars, Gadgets & Gizmos, Computers, Health, Travel

Hey Dauntt,

How much can you get a RB26DETT for? And how much to ship it to Chicago area?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”