RB25DET S13 With Silvia front Ends --- Which FMIC Intercooler?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
johnny butt
Car: 1993 240sx Convertible

Just wondering what FMIC intercooler you guys with Silvia front ends on your S13s?

I don't have a greddy intake manifold, it's still the stock one.

My intercooler is too big (meant for S13 with popups) and we had to mount it up temporarily to the silvia headlight brackets for now.

I need a smaller one to clear the headlight mounts.

If anyone could point me in a better direction (other than search function, I've used it), I'd like to find one fairly cheap but effective; my pockets are damn near empty after this swap, heh.

I'll post up BRM 3" RB25det exhaust clips in a bit.

Kalypso

make it fit.

johnny butt

It works for now, it's just too tall.

I would have to cut and have it rewelded together to have it be able to fit.

The bottom of it is where the bottom of the bumper will be.The top of it is half way into the headlights (situated right on the mounting bolts for the Silvia grill and headlights.)

moso240
Car: Ferrari V12 Powered S13

im having the same problem!! what a big disapointment when i thought they wouldnt fit...what i ended up dooing tho is pushing the intercooler further down put two silicone adapters to connect the piping and on that center support where the hinge sits to lock your hod i drilled a hole threw that stuck a bolt threw the I/C bracket and tightend it onto there along with to support bars on the bottom of the I/C for extra support....hopefully it'll be fine when i throw on the bumper...

Kalypso

I see your still using the popups,

what are the dimensions?

you just need custom brackets, then you can hold it anywhere. at any angle.

mine is big but it fit nicely, you can see the tabs I made at the bottom to support it from underneath.

get creative bro.

moso240

how mine currently sits till i et my fenders in the mail...

johnny butt

moso240 wrote:how mine currently sits till i et my fenders in the mail...
What are the dimensions?

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Pfft.

Here is mine. the picture is old. It is fitted properly and lightly fogged black. (I just threw it on to get an idea how flipping massive the core was. I had no idea how big it was when I ordered it. I should have gotten something easily half the height, and a few inches shorter on width. I have no crash-bar anymore.

The FMIC almost rubs on the 180 nose. I had to cut a bit of the bottom out. I also made a set of lower brackets. I need to take a new picture of it. Honestly, I'm rather embarrassed to post this, but it is for reference. I may just pull my nose off this weekend and take some updated pics...

Kalypso speaketh the truth. Think about it. build it! You can do anything if you put your mind to it! You will go far in the RB world, young padawan!

johnny butt

l0nestar wrote:Pfft.

Here is mine. the picture is old. It is fitted properly and lightly fogged black. (I just threw it on to get an idea how flipping massive the core was. I had no idea how big it was when I ordered it. I should have gotten something easily half the height, and a few inches shorter on width. I have no crash-bar anymore.

The FMIC almost rubs on the 180 nose. I had to cut a bit of the bottom out. I also made a set of lower brackets. I need to take a new picture of it. Honestly, I'm rather embarrassed to post this, but it is for reference. I may just pull my nose off this weekend and take some updated pics...

Kalypso speaketh the truth. Think about it. build it! You can do anything if you put your mind to it! You will go far in the RB world, young padawan!
Thanks for the input and advice but I don't have popups, I have a silvia front end.

I can barely get away with an intercooler 8" tall, this 11" tall one cuts into my mounting brackets for the headlights meaning I cannot mount my headlights or grille.

Was just trying to find dimensions for people running a FMIC with a silvia front end and whether or not they were using the bumper support bar?

By the way, how wide is your intercooler? More specifically (to avoid more Qs), what are the dimensions? I have a 3.5 right now, and the one I am looking at is 3.5.

I am not necessarily trying to keep the crash (support) bar, but it would be nice if I were able to.

I am looking at possibly getting this intercooler: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...00991

johnny butt

Kalypso123 wrote:get creative bro.
Got any pictures with a bumper on?Dimensions?

moso240

yours isn't that bad at all make mounting brackets to support the intercooler from the bottom and push the intercooler down an inch or so...im sure ground clearance isnt an issue doesnt look like you slammed from that picture...why spend money that doesnt need to be spent

EDIT: If you do go ahead and buy another intercooler ill give you the dimensions on mine..im prty sure my sizes are the biggest you can get if you dont want it sagging under the bumper that is...

Kalypso

johnny butt wrote:
Got any pictures with a bumper on?Dimensions?
No i dont... its bumper-less as of now

Core Size 24"X12"X4"Overall Size 31"x12"x4"

I might keep or remove the bumper support. thats in the air.

if you fabricate a greddy style intake you have a world of new options available to you with regards to your front mount.

it doesnt make sense to have the inlet and outlet right above each other.the air doesnt have time to cool.

Modified by Kalypso123 at 1:29 AM 10/22/2008

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

My FMIC core dimensions:

600 mm x 300 mm x 76 mm or

24" x 12" x 3" roughly.

You may want to go to the 240 / Silvia Gen Chat for suggestions on which FMIC they are running w/ a Silvia nose. My core is 3.0" and it nearly rubs on the nose. I would not go any thicker than 3.0". Most of the guys I know with Silvia fronts have either SR's or CA's and run much smaller FMIC's (like 3 to 5" tall compared to my 12") they fit much easier. I didn't realize how completely massive my FMIC was when I ordered it. I probably should have gotten a smaller one.. oh well.

johnny butt

Kalypso123 wrote:it doesnt make sense to have the inlet and outlet right above each other.the air doesnt have time to cool.

Modified by Kalypso123 at 1:29 AM 10/22/2008
Don't want to sound like an ******* or an idiot with this question, because I am sure air and liquids cool at different paces, but I've noticed that with the RB radiators the inlet and outlet are also on the same side? Granted, it is storing and cooling a liquid, but wouldn't the core size of the intercooler affect how much air it could store and cool anyway, similar to the radiator arrangement??

So if it was longer/more volume, the intercooler could hold more air and cool it down rather than have about the same temperature air moving through the inlet and outlet side horizontally?

Somewhat new to this whole turbo game and for the record I do plan on switching to inlet/outlet on opposite sides for the intercooler mostly because I plan on going to the Greddy intake manifold in the future, but I have seen many intercoolers come from the factory with the inlet and outlet on the same side.

Hell, the RB even came with a terribly inefficient side mount.
Modified by johnny butt at 8:26 PM 10/22/2008

Kalypso

yeah overall having the inlets on opposites sides is better.

but, back to your question.... Im having trouble understanding what you just wrote.

but I dont know how the fins inside the intercooler are arranged.

unless the air is forced to travel all the way across the IC and then move up into the the top half and travel back. its not as effective.

johnny butt

Kalypso123 wrote:yeah overall having the inlets on opposites sides is better.

but, back to your question.... Im having trouble understanding what you just wrote.

but I dont know how the fins inside the intercooler are arranged.

unless the air is forced to travel all the way across the IC and then move up into the the top half and travel back. its not as effective.
I edited the post a bit and cleared some things up.

Re-reading it a third time I got confused as well.

But basically what I am also trying to ask is that even with an inlet and outlet size of 2.5 on opposite sides, wouldn't a 4" tall intercooler be just as effective as a 8" or 11" tall intercooler?

Doubtful, because the bigger the core, the more air it can hold/move. I don't really think length/distance it is having to travel is going to affect it much since the objective of a FMIC is usually to take in moving air you are coming across when you are driving anyway, cooling the hot air it is passing through it, and releasing it back through the intake after meeting colder air from driving...

Again, not that I am trying to defend having the inlet/outlet on the same side, like I said, I do plan on switching to a greddy intake manifold later so I am just going to get an intercooler with inlet/outlet on opposite sides. Just trying to figure out airflow for most FMICs.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”