RB25DET in a 240???

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
AznRide
Car: Cars, hondas, import cars, girls, cars, girls, girls, and more beautiful girls.

Now, i know that everyone swapping the SR20DET motor. I just want to be something different. I was thinking a R32 RB25DET in my 91 240sx. I heard that it would fit right in, just like the SR swap. I can get a front clip for like 2250+shipping. Would it be worth it or just get daunt's SR?

Redline240
Car: 95 240sx

It won't fit right in like the SR, but it'll fit....

AznRide
Car: Cars, hondas, import cars, girls, cars, girls, girls, and more beautiful girls.

http://240skyline.nissanpower.com/

this guy said it fits right in. I have a friend that's gonna go look at his 240 and taking pictures and info this saturday so I'll decide if I should do SR or RB.

AznRide

sorry, i spoke to soon. Should have used the Search button first. Mods, delete this post for me if you want.

Snarlynx

It may fit but I'm pretty sure it's not a bolt up afair. Although anyone I've read about that actually did it say's it's easier then everyone makes it out to be.

P.S. I thought you were picking up an s14? Well, do to a person that sold my ride out from underneath me I think I may be going that route too. Cheaper, but still..... sigh.....

AznRide

yea man, If i was going to get the S14, i can't supe it up for a long time though. If i just supe up this S13, it will be faster, looks better than the stock s14. Sometimes, i just wish i was rich...I'm in college right now so I don't have a lot of money saving up. 2 more years and i'm free...then the real fun begins. This sr20det swap is just the begining to a whole new world. I'm trying to trade in my B16 for a SR20DET....my friend's gonna call me tomorrow. The only thing is taht the SR only comes with the engine. No turbo, harness though...but he's gonna find it for me. Complete swap for complete swap.

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

Firstly, this should be in the RB section, not the SR. Secondly, the swap is more straight forward then what most people think. The crossmember of the skyline will bolt up to the 240sx chassis. If you use the skyline crossmember, then the engine will be aligned perfecltly where the engine mount will also be in the perfect spot to BOLT RIGHT ON. No moving the engine/tranny around to get the shifter right if you use the crossmember. Everything about the RB swap is bolt on except power steering and a/c. These two require custom line fabrication. That's it. The only other thing is wiring, but like both engine swaps, you gotta get the wiring done.

AznRide

sorry, I didn't even noticed that i clicked on sr instead of RB. Also, i heard taht you have to move the shift linkage...right?

bp2ooo

just get the a s13 sr, spend the extra thousands ona turbo, and youll be faster.

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

Thanks Night! Nice to see you in the NICO forums, didn't know. Welcome to the forums :ylsuper .

AznRide

yea, but how fast can you go with a SR, i mean, it's just a turbo 4 banger. Inline 6 is like Whoa, when I pass you, it's like Whoa, Your sister is like Whoa, Your mama is like Whoa...lol, j/k. If the RB is straight forward, i'll do that then.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

warning warning blanket statements! The owners of 700+hp fours would take issue with a statement like that. The RB26 would generate more power than the SR step for step but it is a big heavy mill and is sure to throw the weight off in a 240. The SR is the better choice IMO for a guy on a budget who has an expectation under 400hp than any RB. If you are sponsored or rich and want four digit power figures than go RB.Don't get caught up in the benchracing and number swapping, be real. Do you really need over 400hp?

AznRide

do i need to go over 400 or you are tlaking to someone else? I want to go as fast as I can. Once you're on the fast lane, you can't stop...that's from my point of view. I thought my old civic that ran 17's was fast, until i did motor swap, hit 16, some work, hit 15, and nitrous, hit 13.5...still, i wish i could have gone faster.

pampadori

sr20 takes 20psi on stock bottom end. reliably at what hp level do you need to build the rb 25 and 26 engines generally?shaun

Snarlynx

P.S. AZNRDE - rb25det clip for roughly $2500 shiped? I wish I had a conection like that. :(

AznRide

actually, rb20det is around 2500 shipped...not the rb25det, it's about a grand more i think....sorry for the mistake.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Everyone has 1000hp dreams and 200hp budgets. My freind blew his whole re-enlistment bonus on a RB26-powered 180 and proceded to get walked by a second gen RX7.A local shop car takes their RB26-powered Silvia up to mainland and gets edged out by a CA18-powered Silvia.Whatever man, no engine magically guarantees speed. If I were stateside I would go CA, I see RBs all day, the dream has faded, just another engine THAT IS VERY ****ING EXPENSIVE. Each to his own.

bp2ooo

not saying this is the best price i have ever found, but enjuku sells the rb25det. And they are selling them for 4599 with shipping being between 550-600. Thats about 2500 more then the sr20det. Damn with 2500 you could get a bigger turbo, front mount, and injectors. 500 more bucks youd have a 400 hp sr20det powered 240.

What ever you end up doing, do it because you want it. Because you will like it, and you will have fun with it. Build what suits your lifestyle, after its your hard earned money.

pampadori

reccomended by who? not me. i have had a sr20 for almost three years. i still have the first sr i bought in my street car. the guys that say not to go above 15psi are the guys that have never tried it. 20psi for the past 6months and the past 6,000 miles on 93 octane and stock gasket. detonation blows headgaskets i think. what do you sell ca and sr for? i want a ca drift car, a sr street/drag car and a ka25de all motor street car with 4 throttles!shaunbtw, i have the sr dragcar. just waiting on funds!

nnkfws333
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 and a 1989 Nissan 240SX

I was just wondering that if you put a monster engine like that, isn't it hard to launch and drive? Got so much power that it doesn't go anywhere?

Snarlynx

The new corvette I drove recently didn't drive any different in relation to that then my civic does. Only difference was that the pedal was harder to depress and obviosly there was a lot more grunt. but launching it and just cruising was about the same as far as effort goes.

So if 127hp and 350 is comparable in drivablity then those would be too I'd assume but then again it's not turbo'd so I don't know how lag comes into play in this situation.....

AznRide

lol, why would you even compare the civic to a corvette? It's like comparing a Cavalier to the new V8 NSX...Anyways, I might just go with the SR because Night said he can get me the s15 conversion for cheap.

Top Speed Coupe
Car: Cars

GO RB! Don't let these people talk you down! Do you want to goto the races and say I beat you cuz I got a SR or o you want to say I RAPED YOU PUNK BUTT with my RB! I don't know about you but I Like to rape the competition.

As far as the swap. Motor bolts directly up. The tranny mount needs to be fitted a little. The RB mount is farther back then to KA tranny. Good Luck.

AznRide

how can i fit the mount? Anyways, I know i will have some headache if i do RB. I remember when I stuffed the b16 in my civic. It was an easy swap overall, but it took me 3 months to get it running properly. Things kept going wrong, waiting for parts, broke 1 motor mount, a new timing belt was ate up...those extra sh*t giving me headaches. Now, stuffing a totally different motor in will my my biggest task. Plus, with that 1000, i can just get a new FMIC and my sr will be up to 250hp in no time. If I had the time, i would do a RB swap, but i really need a reliable car right now. Currently, I'm driving an embarrass 91 toyota corolla. I was scared to change my oil because I might see unexpected things comming out of it. But it's a winner, for now. Thanks for the info. Unless I change my mind again...hehe

Snarlynx

Aznride - I was saying it was no harder to drive, that's all. and the NSX is probably not gonna be a v-8, more likely a v-6 with an electric sumpliment. :)

AznRide

uh, they already made an V-8 NSX with 350 hp and cost around 135G.

Snarlynx

Really? link it. Not saying you're lying but if google can't find it.... Will you please?

AznRide

Oh, sorry, it hasn't come out yet. I think they will release it in 2004 or 2005. I read it in SCC mag or Importtuner. It was at the Japan Auto selon car show. My bad for not making the point clear.

Snarlynx

Yeah the New SCC says it'll have a V-6 and use that talked about and battery engine as "electric nitrous" ;)

AznRide

not the new SCC, i've read it for probably at least 2-3 or more months now. If you don't think there is a v8 nsx that cost around 135,000 then it's up to you. I'll ask around for proof, i'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”