RB25,which turbo to upgrade too.

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
TIM996
Car: cars,motorcycles,wakeboarding,women

ok I want to get a rb 25,instead of a sr,because of 2 extra cylinder's and more torque. I've read that the stock turbo is not very good for more than 9 psi, is this the same for all rb25 or just early ones.if it is the case which turbo is the one to go with. I would like fast spool up and good power 400+rwhp, with of course all the bolt ons( fuel,IC,Tuning). is there a "tried and true " turbo. thanks for taking the time to read this.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

The stock turbine is good for 1bar (14.7 psi). Some people have pushed more. But I wouldn't recommend anymore then that. Any T3 sized turbine will be a good choice. It really depends on the trim of each turbine.

How much boost are you wanting to push?

meggala

hahaha who has been telling you stories. the rb 25 turbo is good for 1 bar of boost or 14 psi.. its not suitable for your power goal consider something liek a 2835, 3037,3040,td06 these are all good turbo's you should get full boost from a round 4-4500 rpm and make your 400 rwhp you might also need bigger injectors afm and adjustable ecu liek the power fc.in australia a number of peopel are getitng there stock rb 25 turbos rebuilt and hi flowed but these might make jsut under your power goal .meggala

btw how do I know I have an rb 25 turbo on my rb20 and it has been running 12-13 psi for 6 months+

TIM996
Car: cars,motorcycles,wakeboarding,women

I thought I remember reading some where that the material used for the exh wheel on the stock turbo isn't up to higher than 9psi.how much rwhp would the stock turbo make a 14psi with a nice front mount intercooler,fuel pump and full exh ,downpipe etc. how much are those turbo's your talking about meggala,and could I get one to spool at like 2500 and still make good power. where can I look for info on rb25 upgrade turbo's. night what kind of turbo's can you get and how much power can you make with them. email me at [email protected] if you want . thanks for your info

Imissmyturbo
Car: Car's, Turbo's, sking

I really like the Big28 from forcedperformance.

http://www.forcedperformance.n...8.htm

I think it would make a really kickass street turbo on the RB. I know there is an SR guy running one with awsome resaults.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

T4 series are excellent turbo's, I've used a TO4E for the last 2 years. No problems and tons of fun. My car was set up for drag only by the way, so having a 4500 rpm lag didn't bother me. But she sure did pull your teeth out once she got spooled up. But there are a ton of trims to choose from.

WD

meggala

yeah I like the t4's if you want a turbo to spool early which I personally dont think is a good Idea then a t3 / 4 with a 52 54 mm exhjaust wheel and and a t4 front wheel a turbo shop are the people to talk to. but dotn expect massiv power to get massive powe rthe trade off is lagg cost wise try 1k upwards some times less but dont make the mistake of gettign a rotary turbo and they are use less.cheers

meggala

btw a fairly good and cheap up grade is to get the turbo off a vg 30 det single turbo high flowed or your stock one. I believe they use a series 5 rx 7 rear wheel diiferent core and t4 front wheelgood for around 400 hp @ 1 bar

meggala

night that would be great just make sure you get the bigger injecotrs and a z32 afm

93semax

NightXCZ77 wrote:I am getting a Turbonetics 62-1 Ball Bearing for mine. I have priced this turbo....retails around $1500, but an excellent turbo. Good for a decent amount of power (600HP) and good spool time.

Night

Are you planing to upgrade the internals?I'm thinking of going with rb26 internal (crank,rods,pistons) and thicker head gasket to hold 550-600 rwhp.

Nif

How about a garret gt35/40 spooling by 2500 boosted by 3500 and able to flow enough air for 700 horse. When I go single thats what I'll be using.

Dan Rushing Sub-Zero Performance

gmckey
Car: 1998 Nissan HB KC 4cyl 5spd

http://66.216.67.51/product.asp?0=220&1=340&3=733ball bearing turbo that can flow enough air for up to 700 horses... but the pricing is very harsh...

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

NightXCZ77 wrote:
As for upgrading internals....I'll do that later. I was thinking of going with Apexi forged pistons, RB26 shot peened rods and a knifed and balanced RB25 crank....thicker head gasket a must. Even with stock internals on the RB25 (MEGGALA - correct me if I am wrong) can hold 20 psi at the track providing you don't run it for a long time....as long as you have the proper fuel management.

Night

Night

You are definitely flirting with disaster if you are going to boost that high on stock compression. Granted this is my personal opinion, but it is also the common opinion of HCR (GTST) RB25 owners... so I hear on their forums. I watched a 97 Cobra that was supercharged (pushing 10psi) blow his motor... just because he was really flirting with disaster with the car's 10.4/1 comp ratio. Granted he is powered by a less superior engine and the car did run fine for about 6 months... but it still blew. This is why I started with the RB20 and it's lower comp ratio (i am not saying you are wrong for going with the RB25 by any means!).

I am planning on a TO4R from HKS more than likely... or maybe one of apexi's RX6 turbo kits. Since I will be using the car for rec. autocrossing... i might even have to go smaller... but we'll see.

Good luck!

rbsileighty

Dude... calm down. Well, hopefully here soon I am going to be working for Nissan at their tech center (my application is pending). I have done a lot of research myself. You never said anything about running a better head gasket before upping the boost to above 1bar. It sounded like you were going to do a headgasket upgrade after you started running high boost. Sounds like you are running a great car... I just don't want to see it blow up. Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. I am not a god on RB engines... just trying to help.

FAST-DATSUN

WE adding a HKS 2535 turbo, Apexi 550cc injectors and a JDM EF-Sports tuned computer to ours right now will add Dyno chart for them soon... Mack@ Mckinney Motorsports

jmillheiser

will a thicker head gasket drop the compression enough on a 25?

i know 8.5:1 is a pretty good CR for a turbo motor. 9:1 does seem a tad high

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Just an FYI about the new line of Garrett GT turbochargers...they are supposed to be much more efficient due to:1) lack of on-center turbine housings2) lack of clipped turbine wheels3) increased boost capacity4) 'true ball bearing turbos' which feature single cartridge ball bearing technology (HKS uses this in their GT line which shares no naming similarities to Garrett)5) better aerodynamics

The lineup goes like this; GT32 GT35 GT37 GT40 ect

Dori Dori

A GT35/40 is a hybrid in the GT series like the T3/T4 was to the T series (although a little larger...I'm suspecting a GT32/40 will spool even faster and hit almost as hard). It's characteristics are similar to the T3/T4 but much faster spooling and much harder hitting. The proof is in the pudding as they say, so check out this SR20det running a GT35/40 with a .70a/r (they are going to move to a smaller a/r soon for even faster spooling).

Mods are: Mild HKS 264 camsJUN valve springs and retainers with RAS on an otherwise stock head Apexi head gasket .. stock thicknessGReddy intake manifoldAeromotive FP regulator, top feed fuel rail (custom), 72lb Accel injectors, Walbro pumpPrototype Hotshot equal length stainless manifold Haltech E11s and AVCR boost controller

I had to resize to post the pic, so if you can't read it, check it out here http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ent...i.jpg (the link works, just hit refresh if it fails)

Dori Dori

For comparison sake (spool characteristics), here is a dyno of the enjuku car with a T3/T4 .69 a/r @ 21psi.

Here's a link: http://www.enjukuracing.com/images/393hpkit.jpg

nomore_mr2

dori dori dori are you ever gonna learn anything. yeah that gt turbo will flow more air then the t3/t4 you posted. got any trim specs on the t3/t4. also notice that the t3/t4 makes 250 ft lbs of torque at 4k rom and teh gt turbo doesnt even make 250 at 4500 rpm. yeah the gt has a high peak horse power but the t3/t4 out spools it and depending on teh size of teh t3/t4 could have just as easily made the same. i am not impressed at all with the new gt series turbos. they are over rated pieces of **** that are way to hyped up.

Dori Dori

The a/r is higher on the GT turbo and it's larger. It's also running less boost, hence the 'low' torque numbers. You should know, low boost on bigger turbos = low torque....

Yeah, GT turbos are crap, that's why Garrett (who knows nothing BTW) is changing to them. Man, they should fire their engineers and hire you... Clipped turbine blades 4eva!:rolleyes

nomore_mr2

gt turbos are not crap but they are not what they are all hyped up to be. people think these things are a god send and the ultimate spooling turbo. i have not seen any claims to there amazing spool characteristics yet to back up anyones claim. you still havent given me teh full specs on the t3/t4. you cant just list the a/r on the turbine housing for each turbo and think you have got your numbers. whats the a/r on the compressor housing what trims what wheels? that makes a huge difference. and yes a gt turbo that size is large and will flow alot more lbs/min then a t3/t4 thats why more power was achieved at a lower boost. thet are more efficient and have better wheels design not arguing with you there. but i pointed out that the aera under teh curve is better on the t3/t4 had better torque numbers and only lacked a 20rwhp difference. any i bet they werent dynoed on the same dyno in teh same conditions so they should be taken in accounted for. basically your point to prove that the gt turbo was better then the t3/t4 has failed.

Dori Dori

Actually, they were dyno'd on the same dyno...and since it's Florida, you can rest assured that while the weather conditions couldn't have been exactly the same, they would have been pretty damned close.

As for the T3/T4 specs, you could call Enjuku and find out for yourself. For the specs on the GT turbo, I don't have the number of the shop off hand...search your MR2 forum for it...that's where I found the link.

Dori Dori

Quote »they are over rated pieces of **** [/quote]Quote »gt turbos are not crap [/quote]:rolleyes

CoolBlue
Car: Cars

Another post from the dead. Sorry, just reading through this forum and wanted to bring something else up. The enjuku car was running stock cams and intake manifold. That would probably explain why the other car has less torque and higher horsepower at a lower boost level. In that case, if the enjuku car had the same components, it would be very similar if not making more power then the secret services car at the same boost.

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

Dori Dori wrote: ...and since it's Florida, you can rest assured that while the weather conditions couldn't have been exactly the same, they would have been pretty damned close.

Damned straight. We get rain every day at 3pm. You can set your watch by it. Where you at, Dori?

alan-n
Car: 95 240sx

Let me just chime and likely toss more fuel to the fire j/k.

Regarding New designed thrust bearing turbosvsBall Bearing TurbosvsGT Wheels.

....... I have yet to see any of these new "ball bearing" or GT wheels out perform the trusty regular T-Series on the street or at the track. Yes I've seen dyno numbers which go up here and there but that could be attributed to other factors at the time also.... but once thats over with and the real racing begins, neither have put down the times/performed to the numbers they were supposed to (which is outperforming the old T-series), I'm sure they are better.... but are they that much better to justify the premium price (just like buying the latest computer) which brings me back to the questions I always ask myself....

Is that additional dyno queen horsepower worth me forking out the additional money for it? Am I better off spending that money and time in electronics to help me keep my engine tuned at all times... money spent for traction (such as tires/proper alignment or a racelogic TCS). Or is the last option even better, which is just keep learning how to keep these things running in tip top shape?

Most guys I know have been running the T66 on their 2JZ-GTEs forever... When the ball bearing ones came out and after the hype settled down, guys who upgraded to them DID NOT run better times nor traps, nor did they pull on T66 cars like they were supposed to, but they did a heck of justifying it with dyno numbers..... who knows what their A/F ratio was, couldha just run the thing lean for that number...... and now that the magic T66/67 GT turbos came out, same thing has happened... sure there were some marginally better dyno numbers here and there but not the performance as expected nor out performing the old T66 where it matters on the street and at the tracks. There is simply just so much more to engines and cars than just the turbo. Going back to the classic saying "a chain is only as strong as....."

Alan C N

Dori Dori

They actually just made 450whp...still at 18psi...better tuning.:)

rbsileighty

HKS did say that their GT-RS turbo (which i think is based off of the new GT series) is spooling around 500rpm faster than the comparable GT2835... but i still want the GT2835... just letting you know what they said.

Projekt

well the 1300hp vielside skyline runs BB turbos...

putting BB sections into a turbo is like puting a water jacket on them, it's not about making mAd PoWeR! it's about longevity and drivability.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”