RB25,which turbo to upgrade too.

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
alan-n
Car: 95 240sx

No problem guys, I'm not trying to demean anyone here. Just be aware that vendors are in the business of selling turbos.... Just chiming in my experience of these "new" turbos vs the old ones and the numbers and performance for the $$$ have never added up to what was said.

Thanks.

Projekt

but you're not listening, getting BBs isn't always about numbers.

alan-n
Car: 95 240sx

Hehe, yeah its about the "quicker" spool.... again I'm still skeptical :)

Projekt

lower threshold, less lag, turbo longevity.....

ka24de_510

I hate to dredge this up too, and no offense, but anyone who says 9:1 CR is living dangerously and an 8.5 is safe is an uninformed moron. A .5 difference is not huge by any margin. 10.4 compression, however is a different monster. Anything lower than 8.5 or 8 would have terrible off-boost driveability.Personally I think the technology innovations in turbos are similar to organic vs synthetic oil. One of them just sort of exists (ok, I know turbos were created, bear with me) and serves the purpose decently enough, while the other one is specifically designed, tested, and re-tested for that very purpose.Sure, BB turbos are expensive since the technology is new. If they weren't on every decent turbocharged race car in the world I might wonder why.

jeffk

I'd hate to bring up an old beaten topic but hey i' mdoing my searching damnit ;). Anyway i'm thinking of building an rb25 to drop into a 240. I'm used to working on dsms. Now if a stroked 2.4l 4g63 and run a t3/t4 60-1 with a stage III wheel in a .63 housing and spool it by 4000rpms I would think the rb25 would spool it even quicker then that. Is anyone here running a large turbo with their rb25 possibly a 61 in a ptrim. Or is everyone mainly running the pricey kits from hks. From my little bit of research on rb's I would think a 60-1 with a stage III wheel in an .82 housing would probably spool around 4k somewhere add plenty of fuel, internals and a standalone and you would probably be in the 550+ hp range. Does anyone have any experience with these size turbos on the rb.

DSSA

So you guys are saying that the RB25DET motors are only able to handle 20 psi? And will only spool a regular T04E at around 4300 rpms?

This is kinda depressing. I was hoping this motor would be a little more stout.

Off to look for RB26DETTs....

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

one thing ive noticed is that nobody ever mentions reliability. yes power and boost are important, but if you cant drive your car much whats the point of upgrading? would somebody mind filling me in on the reliability of some of these turbos? thanks alot. btw, most people have daily drivers.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”