RB20DET vs RB25DET

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
IvanS13
Car: *** & Titties

What are the differences between the RB20 and the RB25? The RB25 is around $1000 more or so, so, I would like the stats and things like that to see if it is worth the extra $$$.

One more thing, are the external dimensions the same on the RB line of motors?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

You are 50hp ahead of the game from the start. It takes more work with the RB20 to catch up and it runs out of steam at 400hp. The RB25 can keep going. While the initial cost is cheaper with the 20, the parts for both cost the same and you will moke more power-per-dollar with the 25.

FAST-DATSUN

If your going for power, the RB25 is the best chioce. He is right more starting power and building cost about the same and the better 25's are lower miles.

Mack at Mckinney's

FAST-DATSUN

You must have a good supplier, as most sellers of the RB20 motors are selling fairly high miles and most RB25 are 97/98 models with very low miles. Sound like you got a good deal with you supplier in Japan..Good swapping.. Mack

themadscientist

NightXCZ77 wrote: As per Japanese law, most cars don't usually go over 60,000 miles. Many don't go over 30,000 miles.

Night
I love that rumor. :rotflmao That is a complete load of crap.

themadscientist

That's because the Japanese treat their cars like disposable lighters. The average Japanese guy will keep a new sports car about 4 years before selling it to get the new model. The second or third owner usually wrecks it and then you get it. Japan is a small place and people don't rack up a lot of distance on their cars that's why you are getting low mile cars. There is no law like you describe that I have ever seen. There are tons of 100000+ kilometer cars on the road in Japan, I own seven of them.;)

meggala

as mad said I have never heard of these laws they have a 2 yearly inspection but after 10 years or so this becomes annnual the inspection is very through so if you by an old car they are generally well maintined and looked after thats why I have bought a 15 year old cefiro I'll find out how good it is next week I cant wait.the reason why so many cars are scrapped is the japanese believe if a car is crashed they are bad luck and on one wants them hence the translation from altavista leprosy when describing damaged cars.they wont bu a single head light if they damage one they buy the pair.interesting stuff meggala

themadscientist

meggala wrote:the reason why so many cars are scrapped is the japanese believe if a car is crashed they are bad luck and on one wants them hence the translation from altavista leprosy when describing damaged cars.they wont bu a single head light if they damage one they buy the pair.interesting stuff meggala
I can't vouch for mainland but in Okinawa people will drive anything. About half the cars are rolling scrap. Inspections are a joke, I can get a kamishaken without even bringing the car to the shop! I crack up when Americans proudly tell me "I got a no accident GT-R for $8000.00". Sure you didn't dummy

VRT Elektrique
Car: drift

News cars go through inspection every 3-4 years depending on what they paid for when buying.Cars over 5 yrs old go through inspection every 2 years.As long as they pass inspection they are fine.Mileage doesn't matter, year doesn't matter.Now some of the road taxes or tonnage taxes may change but thats about it. Like someone else said, the Japanese here keep buying new cars and throing away their old ones. Some guys with hooked up or tuned cars even just get rid of them or junk it or sell all the parts and junk it when it comes time for inspection instead of making it ready to pass. Its easier for most people to just buy new. So there are lots of new cars on the road, atleast in this area.

d240t2

Well...one of the differences is that the cost of driving for people in the states mostly consists of the cost of the car. Because of all the requirements in Japan, especially parking, it is a lot more expensive just to drive/own a car...and the cost of the actual car is a lot lower, relatively.

So the people driving there have a lot more money to spend to start off with.

Dennis

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”