rb20det in a 99 sonoma

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
scottymizt
Car: i got alot

hey guys as the title states i put an rb20det in my 99 sonoma, i have been planning this for a while and finally got the funds to do it. I was on hybridz and a buddy of mine that is on both sites told me that there was someone here planning the same swap. I came and checked it out and it got me into wanting to do it again. Here are the pics

first test fit

driveshaft i welded and my buddy dan is holding

fast vid of it running

these last three are basically finished pics

yes those are skyline wheels :D it's almost finished i just gotta get the maf that i got shorted on the swap and i am doing the exhaust today.I did take her for a ride lastnight and it runs pretty good..... well as good as it can with no maf and there are no vibrations at all nice and smooth i love it :D

kevwa
Car: 95 Chevy S10 RB25DET

nice swap man - i also have an RB powered S10

scottymizt

urs was the one i was referring to got me in the mood to do it again, sofar i love the sound i just wish i had my dang maf so i could drive it and rev it higher than 2k lol oh well in due time There are two now we will prolly get more doing the swaps :D I posted on the s10 forum and alot of em wanna do it now. Are your mounts soild or did you put in rubber to dampen the vibrations? I use the stock skyline mounts and the sonoma tranny mount with little mods bolted to the nissan tranny.

scottymizt

oh yea just wanted to add we started on it thursday night last week and i got her finally all dun today :D prolly have about 35hrs in the swap

kevwa
Car: 95 Chevy S10 RB25DET

wow you did it fast - i have that much time in making mounts to get them to sit the motor just how i wanted it lol - they are 1/4" plate steel and are solid

what motor was in your truck stock?how well did your motor mounts line up with where the S10 ones were - I had to put the mounts about 6" forward from factory.

scottymizt

lol yea we busted butt getting her dun, it took me about the same time to do the rb25det swap into my 280z. The mount on the passengers side i used 1/4 inch plate steel and came off the spot where the stock mount was about 3 inches past the edge of the mount. The driver's side i had to build up about 3 inches and out 3 inches so it would sit the way i wanted it. I wanted the turbo to clear the steering shaft as much as i could with the engine still sitting mostly straight. I can get pics of the mounts i think, i used 1/2 plate steel for the tranny mount, i know it was over kill but i didn't wanna add any gussets or anything. I can put the stock 2.2l back in if i want but why in my right mind would i do that I did turbo the stock 2.2l i commented in your other post and sent you an email about your truck.

scottymizt

got a couple vids

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Awesome, Kid!

scottymizt

thanks i got a couple more vids and will hopefully get an outside one soon. I do have a few finished pics of ir now too, been so busy forgot to update this :D

the 20's throw the gearing way off so i am getting a 4.56 rear gear for the truck with a posi carrier.

240cp
Car: 95 240sx

Is that a nissan cluster?

scottymizt

yea it's a gtr cluster i got from a buddy fit in there pretty good and all but the front tq gauge work incl the gas gauge after some mods to the sending unit.

edit

here are some better pics of it and another vid

scottymizt

Well guys i ran her at the track my best was a 15.0@93mph @10psi of boost on the stock turbo. I had major traction problems and the turbo crapped out on my loading the engine up with oil after i let off on each pass. The track guys asked if i was doing a hole shot at the end of the track lol. Well long story short i was somewhat pleased for it being stock so now i changed to a t3/t4e turbo and at 10psi it is a beast!!! the differences are unbeleiveable. I never imagined just the turbo upgrade would make that much more power. The top end pull is way better, before you could push the pedal about 1/4 way and it felt really strong but it didn't gain anything more by pushing the petal all the way. The stock turbo is waayyyy too small i'd suggest to anyone with a stock rb20 to upgrade the turbo cuz the stock one being very responsive is not good for top end pull. I'll get some vids up soon
Modified by scottymizt at 10:27 AM 4/9/2009

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

This is freakin' awesome!!!

scottymizt

dang computer

scottymizt

welli got another update, i had a custom driveshaft made and replaced the clutch with a cheap xtd clutch. People can say what they want the xtd clutch holds good i used one on my rb25 with no probs and the same goes for the rb20. Here is a pic of the driveshaft

and my new steering wheel

i still have to shim the trany up a bit more and get another posi since the one i put in is very bad. But it's coming along great and i drive it every day.

scottymizt

ok got another update see if you can tell the difference

Return to “Hybrids”