Rb20Det in a 240sx

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
EyeStabPeople

just wondering what you guys thought of this motor being in a 240sx, i know whats involved in installing it, just wondering how much power the stock bottom end and head will support before grenading throught he firewall, yeah i know this is the SR thing but i didnt see a RB one, so i posted it in here, im not looking for a car thatll outhandle a ferrari, i think the 240 handles plenty well for me stock so im not worried about the extra weight of the RB in the front of the car, i just want torque and big HP numbers, gotta pay this project off at the strip if ya know what i mean :P

Daunttless

I think if you're going to put in a RB at least do a RB25. The RB20 is pathetically underpowered and doesn't have a huge amount of potential. Really its no better than a SR swap only it costs a lot more. If you want more strip power go for the 25, just as easy to put in as the 20 and way more power and power potential. : )

EyeStabPeople

know how much a rb25det front clip would go for?

midnight brother

Daunttless, I remember reading a post somewhere about your shop soon doing RB20 swaps. Were you just joking or being serious? If you were being serious does this mean you would also be doing RB25 swaps?

Daunttless

I will be doing 25 and 26 swaps. : ) I plan to put a 26 in my personal car. I don't really want to do 20 swaps, i'd rather put in a 25 if I'm gonna do the work. : )

Also, not 100% sure on the 25 price, around 4000. : )

midnight brother

OH MY GOD WE CAN ALL BE T. KAWASAKI!!!!!!! I don't know anything about the RB26 so I would like to know if they are problematic. If they are as reliable as an SR20 then hell yeah i'm going for that. You kind sir are USA'S 240SX god. I think going with the RB26 swap will not be a swap for the highschool or college peopleas you'd have to import alot of parts right?

Daunttless

you have to import everything, and its all very expensive. : ) But at least you know people won't have your ****. : )

As far as the 25, thats complete engine setup only, not installation. : )

Also, I most definitely will be America's 240SX god sometime int he not to distant future. I'm putting in my request for status as a minor deity tomorrow. : ) Hopefully it will be approved by the end of the year.

midnight brother

any plans to carry 25/26 parts and totally own everyone in the states? what are motorwrecks skylines using for an engine? have you thought of what the 25 install price would be or an estimate?

RB20DET R32 215ps $1700 $2200 $595 RB25DE R32 170ps $1350 $2250 $595 RB25DET R33 250ps $2800 $4500 $1500

whats the R33 & R32 after the engine name..should we be worried about that? I pasted that from http://www.japanesemotorsport....s.htm

Daunttless

I will be carrying 25 and 26 parts, my inventory will be filling out as we get closer to December. : )

The R designates the Skyline series, much like the S does the Silvia. R32, R33, and R34 are today's skylines.

The Motorex skylines all use different engines dependant upon which one you buy. The most common engines are.

R32 GTs-T = RB20DETR32 GT-R = RB26DETTR33 GTs-T = RB25DETR33 GT-R = RB26DETTR34 GTs-T = RB25DETR34 GT-R = RB26DETT

There are other incarnations, those are the only motors that matter too much though.

The RB25 install price will be several thousand, haven't got it completely worked out, I'm not at my home right now so I can't give you an exact estimate, but expect a couple thousand dollars in installation charge. : )

Anything else? : )

EyeStabPeople

hot damn i got you to make a new forum thing! sweet!

theres an r33 front clip on ebay right now, last i looked it was 1300 i think, dont remember how much time it had left tho.

ill be doing the swap in my backyard or in a friends garage, no need for installation charges :-) just need to find a cheap front clip! im just kinda afraid of massive traction problems with the torque of that motor! lol oh ****! i wont even have the money for wide rubber, damn, cruisin with 215s int he back should be fun for awhile.

where are you at BTW dauntless?

EyeStabPeople

Iowa, heh, im retarded

i wanna see some pics of your car! you should have a photo album forum thing :p

Daunttless

This swap is not exactly for the inexperienced, no offense : ), unless you're willing to take a lot of time on it. : ) If you don't expect it to be done in a weekend then you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck with everything!

Also, I will have a host of pictures on my website of my car, but that won't be for a little bit. : )

Also, I'm originally from Kalamazoo, how do you like your township? : )

EyeStabPeople

dont worry abotu the experience thing, i have a ****load of nissan experience at my finger tips :D

Shelby twp, is boring as hell lol, but travel out in either direction 10 miles and it gets better, so its cool. you shoudl have stayed in Kazoo, its alot better for me then to drive to iowa to get RB engine parts

okisil80

I don't know if this is the clip you were talking about, but I thought I'd post it just in case it helps you out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...22346

Just remember RB25 + 1bar = melted pistons. If you do build it, get ahold of some GTR pistons. They're the same diameter.

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

OH MY LORD I WANT THAT MOTOR. (ebay's rb25)

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

That motor needs to go into a silvia . . . my silvia, preferably, but if not mine, definitely a silvia . . . I'd love to see that swap in person, and maybe testdrive, cause I've wanted that swap forever . . .

Daunttless

Come to Iowa in November. : )

240sxTurbo

Lord help us all if you are NICO's RB savior.........LOL

joel

Daunttless

LMAO!

JOEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed you!!! Are you still going to bear my children for me??

Long time no see buddy!! : )

I've been sending Georgia people your way for your 2300 SRs. : ) Now we're competitors. =P

So how's life treatin you?

Also, you should come work for me. : )

240sxTurbo

Life is good, just bought a R33 clip for my own car, just trying to make the ends meet.

I don't work for anybody, did that gig, got messed up, moved on.

Live and learn, hit me up when you start swapping, I can probably give you pointers on the RB stuff if I ever get mine started......

Daunttless

Yeah, I still remember the day we were cracking up about DA Performance, its good and bad that things didn't work out with Unstable. Now we can still be friends. =P

I'll hit ya up about the RB, you should come up here we're going to figure out how to make the steering linkage work with a stock mount twin turbo setup on a 26. : ) It will be hella fun, I'll give ya a place to stay and you can swap it with us. : )

We should be opening in the beginning of October, the swap will start shortly after that, if you aren't busy, seriously, get your a** up here. We can head down to DA while we're breakin the motor in. : )

Good luck with everything!!

You doing the 26 or the 25? You better be doing the 25 : ) Otherwise you have to wait till November/December before you start swapping so that I can still be the first. ; )

240sxTurbo

I be the 25, 26 is to much for my wallet, plus its a convertible.

DA, now thats a joke.

Daunttless

hehe, I think they're "out of business" now Joel, if they ever were IN business. : )

Also, I'll be carrying all the parts you need for your 25, so give me a holler if you need anything, my new AIM is Daunttless, my MSN is the same. You should get on and we'll chat. : )

I gotta head out now, enjoy your night!

neurovish

midnight brother wrote:OH MY GOD WE CAN ALL BE T. KAWASAKI!!!!!!! I don't know anything about the RB26 so I would like to know if they are problematic. If they are as reliable as an SR20 then hell yeah i'm going for that. You kind sir are USA'S 240SX god. I think going with the RB26 swap will not be a swap for the highschool or college peopleas you'd have to import alot of parts right?
you underestimate the craftiness with which a college student will acquire expensive/rare parts for a car.

...not me though, all my student loans must go towards pesky things such as rent, tuition, and food.

neurovish

Daunttless wrote:I'll hit ya up about the RB, you should come up here we're going to figure out how to make the steering linkage work with a stock mount twin turbo setup on a 26. : ) It will be hella fun, I'll give ya a place to stay and you can swap it with us. : )
...you're putting an rb26 into a 240...an you're keeping the tt...might as well go all the way and go rhd :)

...and the r33 clip on ebay ended up going for 2500. Good price, but an engine is not something I would buy off ebay unless I knew the guy.

Daunttless

I don't want RHD, thats the point. : )

Neishlin is respectable though, I'm surprised their reserve was so low if it actually sold, they must have been trying to dump that engine.

neurovish

Daunttless wrote:I don't want RHD, thats the point. : )

Neishlin is respectable though, I'm surprised their reserve was so low if it actually sold, they must have been trying to dump that engine.
you "don't want RHD"?I do not understand those words when used in such a combination. I'd do the rhd thing if I wasn't afraid of making my car that much more recognizeable to authorities...since I think technically putting an rb into a 240 is enough for a $30000 fine or something like that for 'circumvention of emissions devices' or the like. I'm curious as to how jdm motor swaps are treated in the legal system actually, though I've never heard of anybody ever being ticketed/charged for having one.

I've never heard of Neishlin, got any background info on them?Seems like that motor went uber cheap, that's barely more than most people charge for an sr these days.

1991240xs

Hey Joel...I've looked at unstables page..needless to say it hasn't been updated in forever...have they even done a ca swap yet? I'm probably going to get mine done by them just because they're so close to me...any pointers?..and when are they the least busy..the winter?

Daunttless

Joel doesn't work for Unstable anymore, nor does he suggest them for any work. Why don't you have Joel do the work for you?

R240NA

Daunttless wrote:I think if you're going to put in a RB at least do a RB25. The RB20 is pathetically underpowered and doesn't have a huge amount of potential. Really its no better than a SR swap only it costs a lot more. If you want more strip power go for the 25, just as easy to put in as the 20 and way more power and power potential. : )

I disagree. With the influx of newbie pissants going for SRs, they have become much more expensive through "most" importers. The RB20 can be had for cheaper, and the install isn't any harder for someone knowledgeable. I've seen Unstable do 2 swaps, they're doing 2 more now, and they've found shortcuts to make it easier. Most average buyers don't know or care about the RB20, they only have notion of the SR.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”