RB20 turns over, but won't start...what am I missing?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
tylerdunigan
Car: 89 240 coupe, 89 240 SR powered hatch, 97 S10 --- SOLD

89 240 Hatch with RB20DET

I pulled into the garage Thursday night, with everything running great. Thursday morning, I go out to go to work, and my car just turns over, but never acts like it wants to start. I can hear the fuel pump come on, and I can pinch the fuel line after the filter, and feel the fuel rush in when the key is turned. I've pulled out one of the coilpacks, put a plug in it, and could see it arcing over to the valve cover. I've completely charged the battery, checked the grounds, looked for disconnected plugs, changed fuses/relays, changed the MAF, replaced a dead injector, and fixed 2 vacuum leaks that I found. I'm installing a fuel pressure gauge as soon as I get home from work tonight, to see if the fuel pump is just weak. I may be wrong, but I don't see how the CAS or the ignitor chip could be bad, since I am getting spark and fuel. I tested the ECU, and I am getting code 55 from it, so that should be fine as well. I've spent roughly 18 hours over the weekend, pulling stuff off and checking it out, and have basically accomplished nothing. What am I overlooking? Thanks in advance for any help!

tylerdunigan

So last night, I installed a fuel pressure gauge right after the fuel filter, and found that I am getting 43-44 psi. So I know the pump is good. I talked to a buddy of mine that works at a local Toyota dealership, and he told me he has seen 3-4 vehicles this past week, that wouldn't run because water was in the gas. I drained some of it out into a clear container to see if it would separate, and of course it didn't. Gas is good too. After trying to start it quite a few times, I pulled a couple of plugs out, and they were bone dry. I know fuel is not getting to the cylinder for sure, so I'm renting a noid light from NAPA today, and will test the injectors to make sure the wiring is good. I tested the Injector Grounds on the ECU, and all 3 of them showed ok. The resistance was a little high on them (around 1.5 ohms), but I noticed the battery is only grounded to the engine, and not to the chassis as well. I'm gonna hook that up tonight as well, and hopefully bring the resistance down a little. I'll keep everyone updated as I progress. I hate it when people make these threads, and never reply back what their problem was. Makes it GREAT for other people searching for solutions.

tylerdunigan

I found the problem! There was a ground wire that was overlooked, and comes out from under the fuse box by the battery. It was completely corroded into 2 pieces. Cleaned off the corrosion, and put a butt connector on it, and fired right up. Hope this helps someone in the future

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”