RB20 - S13 Clearance Issues

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
FawkesThat
Car: RB20 swapped S13

Hello, just had a few quick questions, that I could not seem to get a definite answer from after searching the forums. I recently stumbled upon an RB20 swap for my S13 for dirty cheap. I picked up motorset and threw it in my car using Zerolift mounts this weekend, but ran into a few problems when it came to clearance issues, mainly dealing with my turbo manifold. The motor has a no-name top mount turbo manifold, with a T04E. My first issue was that I couldnt not fit a down pipe/ turbo elbo, of any shape or size, due to the location of the brake MC. The brake lines dont allow any room for anyting to be attached to the turbo. The second issue is the wastegate location. Everything I have read is basically to cut and re-weld, but I would still have clearance issues when it comes to the steering column. I've looked for other turbo manifolds, but I haven't seen anything that looks it will solve my issues. I'm wondering if there is a certain brand known to work/alleviate fitment issues, or if it is just common practice to cut / weld wastegate flange, and maybe just delete brake booster? Thanks in advance for help.

-Curtis

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Stock manifold.

FawkesThat

Yellow4g63 wrote:Stock manifold.
So there is no other option? I would like to find another option, whether it comes to me deleting the brake booster, or modifying the manifold that I have. I haven't seen very many topics, though I could just be missing this.

Yellow4g63

Make the car RHD because it looks like the manifold was made for that car. Put the stock manifold on it has a T3 flange already. Just add the external gate to that manifold and you should have better clearance. Or get a different manifold that put the turbo in the middle of the motor or towards the front.

FawkesThat

Yellow4g63 wrote:Make the car RHD because it looks like the manifold was made for that car. Put the stock manifold on it has a T3 flange already. Just add the external gate to that manifold and you should have better clearance. Or get a different manifold that put the turbo in the middle of the motor or towards the front.
When I bought the motorset, this is the manifold that was on it. I would swap to a stock manifold if I still had it. I've tried looking into other aftermarket manifolds, the problem that I'm running into is that most of the ones that I have found set the turbo farther back. I've seen a few, like the 6boost or RAW brokerage one that place it farther forward on the motor, but those are both pretty pricey. I understand that you get what you pay for, but at the same time I can't justify paying big money for a manifold, when I picked up the motor/2 trannys/ecu/harness/ls coils/etc for under a grand. I guess it looks like it will come down to trying to modify this, or moving around MBC.

Yellow4g63

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Turbo- ... 06&vxp=mtr

That one is cheap. Find someone with a rhd car and sell that manifold. And if your on stock S13 brakes don't even bother driving the car till u upgrade to Q45's or Z32's.

Sl1pAndSlid3
Car: in a junkyard somewhere RIP

Yellow4g63 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Turbo- ... 06&vxp=mtr

That one is cheap. Find someone with a rhd car and sell that manifold. And if your on stock S13 brakes don't even bother driving the car till u upgrade to Q45's or Z32's.

Do you know of any other turbo manifolds like this one with more clearance from the Engine itself? this one said in the description that using a bigger turbo such as a T3 or T4 might run into problems with the compressor housing being to large to fit.

Yellow4g63

Honestly no, I never trusted those thin walled manifolds. I had my turbo manifold made by a fabricator and it cost more than that eBay manifold. That eBay manifold has a T3 flange on it. T3/T4 is a style of turbo.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”