RB in Montana!

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
LSDrift
Car: 1990 RS13 RB25

So, now that my RB25 is running great and driving I thought I should give it a thread!

Specs:

1994 RB25DET S2 - rawbrokerage
Greddy Intake Mani
Greddy TB Adapter - RB25 TB
Maxima MAF
Wiringspecialties.com premade harness
Stock bypass valve recirculated
3in Cold/2.75in Hot side IC piping
Raw6 Universal Intercooler
Fully custom 3in exhaust - no cat - magnaflow turbo resonator - Apexi N1 universal rear muffler - custom 3in down pipe
Braille B2317R battery
S14 Radiator
FAL 412 puller e fans
KA24DE PS Pump
Shaftmasters aluminum driveline
ISIS short throw shifter
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch
Damper system deleted
ISIS oil filter relocation kit
NGK BKRE5-11 Spark Plugs (damn near same plugs came out of motor but the had BLITZ logos on them too!)

The Issues:

Hot starts are a little hard but just a few extra cranks and then she runs fine - cold starts are beautiful.

Power steering is a little unpredictable, sometimes is there, sometimes not so much - kinda strange.

Tries to overheat after coming off of the highway or going up hills/passes on the highway but cools down like clockwork with decreased load.

If I mis-shift bad and grind say 4th gear, the shifter likes to try and pop out a little and do some unfortunately crazy s**t but should be solveable after some backyard engineering.

Somehow overlooked needing a Z32 NA Speed sensor... :slap:

Mild vibration under hard 3/4+ pedal acceleration which at this point I'm attributing to my mckinney mounts being much more solid than I'm used to with my stock KA24E setup.

I'm seeing 3900 rpm at 80mph which kinda sucks...but I guess only a different rear end is going to solve that.

The Fun:

Very happy with the power, although I fear it might only hit around 250whp on a dyno if I'm lucky when I get the chance.

Love the sound sooooo much, turbo whistles like crazy, couldn't be happier there.

Occasionally spits a blue fireball on shifts :mike

Now my next step other than ironing out a few of the issues I listed is to try and squeeze my stock injectors as hard as safely possible. I don't have a lot of fundage left now that I've come to this landmark but time will help that problem. So my thoughts for my first real upgrade(s) are a Haltech platinum pro and a boost controller of sorts.

I know I just mentioned funds not being fully available at the moment and so the Haltech seems like a stupid idea maybe but dollar for dollar I feel like a good tune with my current setup would be more than enough to keep me happy until I can afford injectors and a bigger turbo etc. And I don't wanna band-aid it with an SAFC-II or something similar - gonna do it once and do it right!

So, whataya think?
-Here's some pictures(yes there's some cleanup to do in the engine bay and a couple things are a little ghetto rigged...still a work in progress)

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

get an oem clutch fan back in there, you wont regret it

TimTurboZ
Car: 95 S14 w/RBXX... 65' Mustang GT

Get a vid of this "Turbo Whistle" My turbo would squeal when boosting hard...then my turbo blew out both sides and my #3 cylinder blew part of my rings! Be careful, and enjoy your car :dblthumb:

LSDrift

Haha I guess that depends on what you define as "whistle" or "squeal". I just mean it whistles like any other turbo does...sounds like a mini diesel minus the diesel engine noise.

But yeah I plan on having a video up in the next week or so!

Omni

nice car dude...my setup is almost the same...how does ur stock radiator hand the rb?? and are u running E-fans??

LSDrift

Thanks man! Well it's the S14 radiator so for an OE radiator it does ok but I'm probably going to either have to figure out how to squeeze my Koyo radiator in with the puller fans I have or somehow get the clutch fan back in there...for a more detailed description look in the thread I made called "Radiator Options". I just posted in it recently so it should be close to the top of the thread list.

Omni

the reason i asked is because my aluminum one is leaking and i cant find the leak...so i gotta get a stock one to run for now to stop my overheating problem till i can buy a new aluminum one again...and why dont u put ur fans behind the radiator and pullers??

LSDrift

Well if you need to get by for a relatively short period of time, yeah, this radiator will do you just fine. I've got dual FAL 412's which are pullers, mounted on the backside of the radiator between the engine and the radiator. My AC condenser is still in there too so that's why I've got pullers.

Omni

oooo i took out my condenser so my fans are behind the radiator where the condenser usto be

LSDrift

Thought I'd update this post with some lessons learned since it's been quite a few years and I'm in the middle of a revamp of the original project - same car, same engine but essentially a restoration of the car and doing all the little things I couldn't afford to do back in college when I did everything the first time.

1. My lackluster power and "mild vibration under 3/4 throttle" was due to a cylinder not firing at all because of the coil wires on my brand new Wiring Specialties harness were switched on that particular coil/cylinder. I drove it that way embarrassingly long before figuring out the problem.

2. Braided PVC pipe from Home Depot will not hold up to heat...tried using that for my BPV recirc line and learned the hard way. :chuckle:

3. The S14 A/T KA24DE radiator with FAL 412 pullers is not nearly enough to cope with any outside temps above ~ 60-70°F.

I'll link to my build thread later once it's up!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”