RB electric speedo conv

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

I was hoping someone could try this for me since I'm not home (man I miss my car!). Look on your old KA trans and check the speedo sender unit... pull it out and see if it would plug into where the RB's mech sender unit was.

This would be great and possibly increase the chances of us using the 240's cluster (i still want to look into autometer's tach converter to see if it might help make the tach work too for 91+ cars).

Thanks,Sig

93RPS13
Car: Cars, Girls, Cars, Food

Ya someone try it, i want to know too

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

What has everyone else done instead... I really want to use the factory cluster... but I'd like to know what else has been done. This is pretty much a question for anyone who has done the swap themselves or does the swaps as a company.

vududoc
Car: drag drift autox

i contacted a speedo shop today regarding this. one thing they have to know is what are the pulses of the ka electric speedo. other than that there is a mechanical to electric converter that is possible. i should have more info if i get that value.

veilsideS14

There is an adjustment screw on the back of the tachometer (must remove it from the cluster) that can be used to adjust the tachometer to work with the RB engines. You need to have some sort of electronic ECU RPM reading (SAFC, AVCR, Power FC, etc.) so you know how much adjusting is needed.

Try to sync it up to say 3000 RPM. This will be more accurate than trying to sync it up to your idling RPM.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I know it will phisically swap out, I have done it. As long as you are using the sender for the car and the gear ratio is the same with the new sender and the pulses are right it should be fine. If the two senders have the same tooth count stick it in and see if she twitches;)

FAST-DATSUN

We are tryong to get the conveter boxes working for the tack and speedo so you can use the stock KA gsuge cluster. WE expect to have the tack done this week and speedo soon; having some conversion problems but making progress.

Mack at Mckinney Motorsports

93RPS13
Car: Cars, Girls, Cars, Food

sweeet

hashiriya13
Car: Cars, Racing, Cars, Racing

Well Mckinney has done it. They installed the speedo converter box with my rb install. I just got back from driving it and it is AWSOME. I am using my stock 90 ka cluster with thier converter and it works. I am going back out tonight to follow a friend to make sure it is exact but it seemed to be following traffic earlier. But I could not follow to long had to pass and here the turbo spoolin. But it seems so far they have fixed the problem. Now just waiting for them to finish the tach senser so my stock tach works. (dont like the big bulky tachs)

hashiriya13

Oh and I will try and get pics and vid posted by tommorrow night.

hashiriya13

Well the converter is working great. It is almost dead on. My friend has slightly bigger tire wheel setup than stock and I was almost 3-5 mph slower than him at 35,55,65 and 85 so it is really close or perfect. So I would have to say they got that problem fixed. If you want to see pix and a startup/rev vid click the linkMy 240 project

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”