RB...DET vs VG30DETT........

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
midnight brother

whats ford 9 inch rear. i must say you have turned my head matt and will do some googlin tonight for some more info about these engines

LarryStooge

midnight brother wrote:whats ford 9 inch rear. i must say you have turned my head matt and will do some googlin tonight for some more info about these engines

a ford 9 inch rear is for p****** that can't get what they want, so they cheat. It's the easiest way to hack the **** out of a car and swap in american car parts like a moron, it's no better than putting in a chevy big block into a Z. I personally think anyone using a 9 inch rear is a ****ing ***** if it's on an import, and I'd be more than happy to tell them that.

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

:shocked :shocked

FIGHT!! FIGHT!! lol.

Dont you guys love great debates.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

Actually Steph Nic, C16 is racing gasoline. But you didn't know that either. And the cost of an RB swap will be for a stockish RB26. You will reach the limits of its fuel system and turbos very quickly with just that stock motor. A Twinturbo Z with 10k dollars of work done to it will run 11s with 10 second mph's. That is if someone who actually worked wiht the motors like me worked on it. The typical ricer with 10k will not know the proper mods to do and end up making it a 12 second car with high 11 second mph. Which is still very respectable but not fast enough.

WHat's wrong with using a 9inch rear?? It's how you get traction. All the fast rear wheel drive imports such as the toyota solaras by bullish racing and the turbonetics celica are running 9inch rears. is there a problem with them ? what makes them so F***ing dumb ?? It's called using the parts that work.

you know those are American turbochargers on your japanese engines, thats right garrett is part of honeywell and honeywell is in the usa. So they might as well just be pieces of F***king sh*t because theyre using american parts in the first place.

Give me a break kid, how old are you , 18??

Daunttless

a Ford 9 Inch rear is what you find in their trucks and muscle cars, its a much stouter rear end with solid axles, much better for getting power to the ground in a straight line but it destroys a lot of hte handling characteristics of the car.

mattback

i am 21 years old. i've spent the last 4 years workingon and wrenching on imports and more specifically VG30s. there's a reason i work at a tuning garage and not just a rice shop. i am not trying to come across as an *******, just show people that the VG motor can make power also.

DarkParadigm1

one thing ive noticed is that alot of people say the vg tops out at around 600 without major major work, but the only reason i think thats its max is due to limited space in the engine bay....cant fit gargantuan turbos in there like you can on the rb. THATS not the engines fault its the chasis. thats also why there are a lot more supras making 800+. they can fit the turbos in there. but i havent worked on a 300zxtt so thats just what ive read...how much space DOES it have in there?? whats the biggest turbo you can fit??

LarryStooge

mattback wrote:Actually Steph Nic, C16 is racing gasoline. But you didn't know that either. And the cost of an RB swap will be for a stockish RB26. You will reach the limits of its fuel system and turbos very quickly with just that stock motor. A Twinturbo Z with 10k dollars of work done to it will run 11s with 10 second mph's. That is if someone who actually worked wiht the motors like me worked on it. The typical ricer with 10k will not know the proper mods to do and end up making it a 12 second car with high 11 second mph. Which is still very respectable but not fast enough.

WHat's wrong with using a 9inch rear?? It's how you get traction. All the fast rear wheel drive imports such as the toyota solaras by bullish racing and the turbonetics celica are running 9inch rears. is there a problem with them ? what makes them so F***ing dumb ?? It's called using the parts that work.

you know those are American turbochargers on your japanese engines, thats right garrett is part of honeywell and honeywell is in the usa. So they might as well just be pieces of F***king sh*t because theyre using american parts in the first place.

Give me a break kid, how old are you , 18??
im 18 and yes i know what C16 is, if you have a problem iwth my age you should keep it to yourself, bringing the age of a legal adult into a convo against him is a pathetic excuse when your a moron and just trying to help yourself. You act like your some aged knowledge box, yet judging by your pic, you look the same age as me, and your certainly smaller than me. So I'd shut your mouth and not call people kid, when you dont even know them. Prick.

LarryStooge

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:Give me a break kid, how old are you , 18??

Um, mattback? I don't mean to butt in here, but...I've seen pictures of you - aren't you, like, 11?

I mean, this is not the grizzled countenance of a world-weary 35 or 40 year old.

Don't let Stephen get so far under your skin. He's a troll.

thats nice, though most trolls are on forums where they dont belong. Like some 15 year old kid on here, or some guy with a civic on a mustang forum running his mouth. Thats a better description of a troll. I own a 240 and im on a 240 forum, running on about things I know about. When you can prove me wrong, then do so. I ended my problems (or attempted to) with you a while ago, please drop them, I have no plans on attacking you. You accuse me of being a troll because I attack people, but what are you doing? Attacking me.

mattback

mattback wrote:i am 21 years old. i've spent the last 4 years workingon and wrenching on imports and more specifically VG30s. there's a reason i work at a tuning garage and not just a rice shop. i am not trying to come across as an *******, just show people that the VG motor can make power also.

you are absolutely right. to fit a decnet sized large twinturbo setup, like a 2835, you have to hammer the hell out of the fenderwells and side rails. otherwise it just won't fit. the pentroofs help alot, but even with that you have clearance problems.

now if youre building a race car with that motor in some other chassis, that's when the car's get fast.

its not the motor's fault at all. C16 is gasoline by the way.

LarryStooge

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:Check the link, troll:

'2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." '

Sound familiar?

Every conversation in which you're involved quickly degenerates into a profane, name-calling shouting match. Well, at least your side of it does. Even when people try to reason with you, you reply with nothing but ad hominem insults and poorly-worded flames.

No learning, no exchange of information, nothing. Troll.

You're 18 now. Start acting like an adult.

your unintelligent and stupid k-car. If you go look back at any posts I've made (And id like you to quote any one that involves me starting something) youll see that ive never started something, someone has always flung **** first. Hell, you did the same, so I'd rather not sit while you fling **** at me when you've already got some on your shirt. You'r a loser, get a life. I could care less if you'r a moderator either, you'r a waste of my time with you'r pathetic remarks. You don't know what I think, so you can't call me a troll because I purposely start crap, because you don't know that for a fact. I want you to go find where I started ****, don't reply to this with a pathetic comment about me being immature, you go find all the times ive started ****, and make sure, before quoting me, that someone didnt fling **** at me first. If you can't produce this, then maybe you should shut your stupid trap. Thanks loser, have fun playing detective and pulling it together.

LarryStooge

mattback wrote:C16 is gasoline by the way.

yep, i wasnt thinking. I beleive thats a 115 mixture, not 100% sure on that. I know a friend used it at moroso a couple months ago and had to retune his car. I highly doubt any NA car can make that kind of power with just C16, so when you can muster the facts WITH some proof, then I'll beleive it. Until then, try not to tell me to open up a nissan book, you must have the book to be making the claims, so scan the pages and put them up, including the ones where it says it runs on c16. No offense, but I think you'r talking out of you'r ***.

LarryStooge

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:Originally posted by StephNic "]your unintelligent and stupid k-car.

*snort*

If you go look back at any posts I've made (And id like you to quote any one that involves me starting something)

I don't really think that's necessary. You've already shown yourself to be generally angry with the world, and quick to jump down the throats of those who disagree with you.

As far as I can tell, you're incapable of having a reasonable disagreement with anyone. As soon as anyone challenges your position, you leap immediately to attack mode, never considering for a moment that they may have a valid point.

You'r a loser, get a life.

...said the 18 year old boy.

I could care less if you'r a moderator either, you'r a waste of my time with you'r pathetic remarks.

And yet, you continue to waste your time responding to me.

You don't know what I think,

No, but I imagine it's something along the lines of "mmm, donuts".

I purposely start crap

So, you admit that you intentionally fly off the handle with people?

I'm glad we can finally agree on something.

*plonk*

dont make fake quotes ****face, at no point did i say i purposely start crap. Quit making remarks about my age too. You'r pathetic for starting ****, you say I fly off the handle. Who flung **** first between me and you in this post? YOU DID! Go get proof loser, otherwise thats all you are, a ****ing pathetic LOSER. Oh god! Look! I'm speaking my thoughts. Sorry I have the balls to admit what I think, you read, reread, and reread, then contemplate things, then when you'r all done, you reply with something that will please everyone, and do you'r best to hide what you really think. I'll tell everyone strait up what I think, you don't like it? Suck my ****. I think your a *****, thats why you start **** with me when I dont say anything to you. Wanna know what I think of you? I think your a loser, hence the reason your so called "adult" time is spent starting **** with me, what you see as a kid. Why don't you quit running your mouth and saying how I do all this bad ****, with all the other pathetic losers of this board, and quote me exactly and prove it, I want to see quotes when i started **** without having it flung at me first. You say I fly off the handle when people dont agree with me, I fly off the handle when people talk **** to me. You say it isnt needed because you went back and looked, AND REALIZED YOUR A ****ING PRICK MORON! Get a life or prove it, don't reply with a pathetic comment or make up fake quotes loser.

LarryStooge

yep, ive obviously won this one, hence the reason your resorting to such pathetic childish crap, when your supposed to be the "mature adult". I won't forget this one, the post that I proved k-car was nothing but a peice of **** that should be hit by a car and be rid of the world. Have a nice day, go play on the yellow lines *****.

I am Technoman
Car: ???

:rant :moon

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I can't believe this thread is still rolling. I might also add that the last few pages are absolute crap. Although I did get a few laughs in here and there.

My argument is for Mattback, I don't want or need anyone else to help with me with this either.

Somwhere in the last few pages you said RB's use custom intake/exhaust manifolds to make big power. That is actually wrong. You can upgrade, but you definitly do not have to. I've personally seen many 600hp GTR's with the stock breathing apparatus still on.

If we're talking about placing a VG30DETT or a RB26DETT into a 240, then I think the RB26DETT will be a far better choice.

As I already said before, I know the VG will make power. But the RB26 makes it alot more easily.

Personally, If I were going to install a huge V6, then I would install a 3.8 from a GNX and call it a day. That motor will make more power then both the RB and the VG all day. Plus it easier to work on then the VG.

WD

cosmo

i like boobs

mattback

im nor arguing which motor is better for a 240, i'm just saying that a VG30 will make the same, if not more power than a rb if you put the same amount of love into it. it has .4 liters on it. you can make the vg's 3.2 - 3.5 liters easily also. it is VERY hard to overcome that kind of displacement increase. Ive seen many 600 hp Z32s with stock intake AND exhaust manifolds on also.

LarryStooge

cosmo wrote:i like boobs

agreed

WDRacing

mattback wrote:im nor arguing which motor is better for a 240, i'm just saying that a VG30 will make the same, if not more power than a rb if you put the same amount of love into it. it has .4 liters on it. you can make the vg's 3.2 - 3.5 liters easily also. it is VERY hard to overcome that kind of displacement increase. Ive seen many 600 hp Z32s with stock intake AND exhaust manifolds on also.

You can get a stroker kit for the RB26 as well. It's expensive but its there. Persoanlly I don't think it needs to stroked. You simply can't rely on cubic inches when the difference is only a small amount. The head design alone is better on the RB26 then the VG30 which allows more flow in and out for that matter.

I've tuned helped tune a couple of VG30's over here. I know they can move. I have a hard time keeping up with a few in my Skyline, but its only got the RB20.

Every Z32 I lost to had either a full dyno tuned ECU running 1.5 bar or 2 piggy backs running 1.7 bar. One big reason I lost was the fact that I don't even see boost till 4000. The damn Z's hit full boost by 3300.

Anyway, I'll take the RB allday over the VG30. Obviously your biased the other way.

WD

Oh and Tino can EAD

WDRacing

Very close....keep guessing.

mattback

exactly. you'll tak ehte rb, but you give the vg credit.

i just can't stand the kids in here that think a VG with good tuning will get absolutely walked by an rb..

LarryStooge

mattback wrote:exactly. you'll tak ehte rb, but you give the vg credit.

i just can't stand the kids in here that think a VG with good tuning will get absolutely walked by an rb..

says the 21 year old. I wouldn't refer to people as kids til you hit the wonderful age when you'r insurance drops your payments through the floor.

cosmo

how bout this. both engines are very good engines. with right tuning they can both put out big power , its more of a preference thing.

mattback

you will never learn

marine240
Car: cars

Okay I am an ex 300zxtt owner and I live in Japan (Iwakuni)...and I've driven GTR's (r32)...silvia's s14's and the s15's...obviously w/an sr20 motor both modded and stock. The plain truth is.....stock for stock....the VG will keep up. The Nissans over here are superb and modded both the sr20 and the rb25, 26 will outperform a vg in my opinion. But WE DONT HAVE THESE CARS IN THE STATES!!!! People I've put in a little more than 6 thousand into my 300zx .... have over 500 rwhp dynoed in louden, nh. And I ate z28's and m3's all day...embarassed every honda civic I came up against, even raced a brand new corvette on the highway balls out. I kept up with him every second of the race. The 300zx is a great car with lots of potential, yeah its hard to work on but thats why we are tuners...cuz we love our cars and love to work on them. This car is the reason I love Nissans. Bottom line......Japans engines are superior. But you have to get one (not that cheap) install it, and with the exception of the rb26...have to mod it to stay with a stock vgtt in good condition. I sold my Z when I came into the military.....and now that I'm going back to the states I have a limited budget (military pay sucks!!!) and I'm staying nissan so I'm gonna tune a 240. Besides a 300zxtt that is in good condition is a really hard find. Good luck either way.

FuriKura

even if we dont have the cars in the US, doesnt mean the rb will burn a vg in real racing (downhill mountain racing that is), im pretty sure most of the flowers you see decorated on the guardrails in japan are vg owners... okay maybe civics. then again you rarely see a civic anyways. and whered you find a brandnew corvette in japan to race?well anyways i belive a silvia will burn a skyling in downhill racing as well (okay not burn, but probably win). even if you have a 1000 hp car, you probably wont be able to use half of that power without rolling off the edge of the road. also its kind of hard to drift in a z.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

oh stop it already! guardrails have no preference, Zs are ok, Silvias are ok, Skylines are ok. Group hug, stop touching my a**

GTR-33

Wow this is a long thread.....Heres my $.02...

RB26DETT is a much better motor IMHO. It's smoother, higher reving, freeflowing motor. It pulls HARD in any gear at almost any RPM. Good torque output too. It's just engineered to be better. EVERY GTR team in the JGTC can't be wrong, when they pick the RB over the VG. They can use whatever motor they want, as long as it comes from the same company...

The VG30 has it's benefits, though IMO none can top what is offered in the RB. The 4/10 of a liter more displacement is OK. However it may have more torque, it's not as smooth and it don't have the power band of the RB... The pipeing is a nightmare in any application, and they are bent so many times, they cut down on flow alot. The VG also has an oil consumption problem. Under hard cornering or braking, oil gets sucked through the PCV valves, it is correctable though. Wwith tuning this motor can be hard to beat, but the RB is still better than the VG.

Furikura, what are you talking about? Did you just see Initial D? Isn't the GTR too heavy for downhill racing? Where is my AE86?

Cosmo, I like boobs too.

Peace Jeremy

s14=pimpin'

an RB26 in a s13 chassis may be cheaper than buying a 300zx TT, well, around here it would be

good condition 300zx TT - easy 20g's CAN

s13 shell - $400 CANs14 in decent shap - $8000 CAN

RB26DETT front clip - $8000 CAN (yes, I did call a local shop and inquire).

I'd personally get a RB25 and swap it into my s14. But I do love the z32, and has that VG motor EVER been swapped into a 240sx? I doubt it.

mmmmmmm, boobs are great!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”