Rattling seat-belt blade

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
tomiata

Anybody besides me have a problem with the (passenger side) seat-belt blade rattling against the door (obviously when there is not a passenger in the seat)?

The blade rests in a position that puts it just a fraction of an inch from the (hard) plastic interior liner on the door. The least little bump makes it "rattle"

I'm thinking of perhaps putting some velcro around the belt so that I can then insert the blade of the seat-belt buckle into it when not in use by a passenger.

Right now, I'm keeping the belt buckled to keep it from rattling. Seems like in a 40 Grand car there ought to be a better way! :(

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

you have a bad *** stereo in there...Turn it up ;)

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

my 240 does that too, its a pain

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

I see your point when saying a 40k dollar car shouldn't make noise. But, it's a simple annoyance. Just do something simple to take care of it, like your idea. I'm sure that would work. Any car will have their flaws. Even though it sucks to say, even the G35's aren't perfect in *every* way. Or, you could take Aries advice :D

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I agree with Tomiata. It is the only thing about the car that annoyes me. I have ended keeping the passernger seat buckled. If you find anything that works better, ket me know.Ryan

Stu Segal
Car: G35 Coupe, Silver, Aero / '06 C6 6.0L

Tomiata -

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this so aggravating - even more so considering the actual placement of the belts makes it very hard for passengers to reach them.

This, and the rattling, is the kind of thing that makes you think engineering never actually drove the cars before final production approval - except if that were the case the car would be fraught with dozens of those kinds of things - and it's not. Just seems like they threw in seatbelts in at the last minute cause they had to.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION - the local BMW Motorcycle dealer has dense rubber pads that are about 3/16" thick, and are sold in pairs cut to specific shapes for the use on the sides of motorcycle gas tanks (where your knees would hit). I've held them against the doorpost, and they're soft enough as to not produce a rattle. I'm not yet entirely convinced that the adhesive that comes with these things will be appropriate for the doorpost, so I have not yet installed them - but something like these dense-but-slightly-soft pads will, I think, be a good solution.

. . .Stu

tomiata

Stu,

I am (at least initially) going in a similar direction. I picked-up some adhesive backed "felt pads" that are 1" in diameter and a light tan color similar to the interior of my car (got them at Lowe's). The interium plan is to sick one to the door right where the tab from the seatbelt hits.

Long-term I am going to try to design something like what Mazda did in my 2001 Miata. They have a small plastic slot attached to the interior panel where you can insert the blade of the seat belt buckle when it's not in use. Works great at keeping the thing from rattling. Of course my wife complains when she gets in the car and has to reach back and pull-up on the seat belt blade so that she can latch it. But I like it 'cause it works when I'm solo in the car which is most of the time.

We cannot just get this part from Mazda and use it on our G35's however 'cause it mounts behind the door opening inside the cabin. G35 doors are much wider to allow access to the rear seat - no rear seat in the Miata. But I'm thinking I can adapt that idea to come-up with something that WILL work. Stay tuned.

Tom

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”