Rattle Sound at Freeway Speeds

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ajapersuasia
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD - Indigo Blue

When I am cruising on the freeway or working up an incline, my Rogue S AWD makes a distinct rattling sound on the driver side. I cant tell exactly where its coming from and after reading the posts about the CVT at low speeds Im wondering if this noise is in any way related. I havent heard any noises when driving in town, or oddly, in the morning. I generally always hear them on my way home from work, or in the afternoon. I initially thought the sound might have been coming from the A/C (because its seldom on in the morning) but Ive turned it off and the noise persists.

I used to drive a 10 year old Isuzu Rodeo that had a terrible spark knock, and Ive occasionally heard my Rogue ping, not sure if the rattle and the ping are related. Also - trying to find a Chiltons for the Rogue ...?

Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone have any ideas? I drive a LOT and my 10 month old Rogue has 15K miles. Regular oil changes and lots of TLC.

Thanks!

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Do you have a sunroof?My interior sliding shade rattles while cruising at speeds above 40 mph. I have to move it around a bit to make it stop.

ajapersuasia
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD - Indigo Blue

Nope, no sunroof.

bkpsu
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Speaker resonating, maybe? My Rogue's got that sound on the driver side, I'll have to take it in to the dealer to look at.

philipa_240sx

Another thought. One of the plastic splash shields in the wheel well or under the front bumper has come loose. Check in and around those areas to be sure everything is secure.

Of course there is also the obvious: make sure there are no loose items in the door storage pockets.

boooey

I know this thread is kinda old.. but I just started hearing this exact noise also, and wondered if anyone has pinpointed where its coming from?

It seems to be coming from the upper front Dash area somewhere. Its like a plastic vibration sound, and very annoying.but I do not really hear it when driving under 30mph.

I just know if I take it in to the dealer, they are gonna say nothing is wrong.

Modified by boooey at 6:41 AM 4/29/2009

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I think there's a very good chance that your noise is coming from the pastic cowl where the wipers sit, between the hood and the windshield. Check it out, it's pobably loose or there's some dirt and other crap built up on it.

Also, the splash plastic splash guards on the Rogue are really annoying in my opinion. I have a front end rattle noise when driving over sharp road cracks, when the suspension doesn't have to travel much, just a quick sharp impact, and I think it's most likely two of those stupid guards rattling around. If you look under the front end where the wheel well splash gaurd meets the front end guard and the frame, the stupid thing is just flapping around not supported on one side. Specifically, this is the oil filter cover, and there is another one on the other side but without the curve to accomodate the oil filter. This cover has got to be the worst design ever, it just flops around and if the bump is right you can hear it whacking into the frame and surround plastic. For a detailed labeled photo of where this is, look up the oil change DIY thread, look at the photo where it shows the oil filter plastic cover. Then poke your head under the front end of your car and you'll see it, no need to jack the car up. I have played around with it and can't figure out how to secure it better or get it to stop rattling around. Any Ideas?

boooey

thanks for the tips, but this sound is definitely inside the car.

I also get a plastic flapping sound inside the center air vents on really hot days. I am thinking it may be related.

johnc1110

I know this thread is old but... I have the sound on the drivers side, and definetely down low and outside. I notice it on the highway. It used to just do it over 80 MPH, now it does at lower speeds and I also noticed only on one leg of short trips, which leads me to believe it is air/wind related. This week I will remove the front splash guards and see (I have suspected them all along.)

Will let you all know....

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

boooey wrote:It seems to be coming from the upper front Dash area somewhere. Its like a plastic vibration sound, and very annoying.but I do not really hear it when driving under 30mph.

I just know if I take it in to the dealer, they are gonna say nothing is wrong.Modified by boooey at 6:41 AM 4/29/2009
Two weeks after I took deliver of my Rogue, I notice this same vibration noise in the upper front dash area on the driver side. It usually occurs if you're driving on uneven cement road (not as smooth as asphalt road). It usaully occurs at speeds between 40KPH and 60KPH.

Has the cause of this problem been figured out? Is there a TSB about this problem?

Thanks.

Ryepow

These sounds sound similar to what I have been experiencing. It turns out the jack popped loose in the back. Check to make sure the jack and tools in the back are tight and secure and not touching each other. I used a old pillow case to cushion them. The strange thing about the rattle was it sounded like it was coming from the front of the car even though it wasn't. Once I secured the jack, the noise stopped.

Return to “Rogue Forum”