RANT CA18DET vs SR20DET

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

I'd like to put a rumor to rest about the CA motor, I keep seeing people say that it's impossible to find parts for, when there are more parts avaliable for it at your local Nissan dealership than the SR. For instance the Connecting rods, rod bolts, headgasket, water pump, oil pump........ all are avaliable domestically on the CA18DE, while none of those parts carry over from the SR20DE to the DET.

As far as aftermarket stuff goes, cams out of the CA18DE work great as an upgrade (and it's cheep) it uses top feed injectors, so they are much easier to find than the SR's side feed injectors. The turbo manifold will accept all the same turbo's an SR manifold will, and currently there are several 'large frame turbo' manifolds floating around the country if you would chose that route. I got my pistons from CP machine, who have a CA piston 'on file' that they can produce whenever you want, the wait for them is no longer than to get a set of JE's for your KA.

I've also upgraded to a KA24DE throttle body (try that in an SR) and the KA clutch will work with about 30sec of dremel tool work.

And if your curious, all the bearings and rings are the same on the DE and DET, the 02 sensor is off a CA18ET in the old S12, the thermostat is all CA18DE, plugs off a KA work, oil filter is from the KA, all the gaskets are CA18DE spec, even the head is the same on the CA18DE. The only difference between the 2 motors (other than the turbo) is the DE has higher compression pistons (slightly domed) and only has one set of under piston oilers insted of the DET's 2.

anyhow, I'm not going to get into the merrits of each motor, that's been discussed a lot before, I just want to try to kill the rumor that CA parts are hard to find.

PaulOrlando, FL

klorocks
Car: paintball, skydiving, airsoft, driving - ya know anything for a thrill

great

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

:blue

Daunttless

A bouncing smiley, weird.

Spectre
Car: 1995 240sx se

How many under piston oilers are in the KA

MikeS14240sx

What models did the CA18DE come in? Are these engines still used in later model Nissan?

Thanks for any info

Return to “240sx General Discussion”