Randomly losing gears and getting them back?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
AntDeek
Car: 1996 200SX SE-R 5 Speed

Hi guys.

I recently bought a cheap little Nissan 200SX SE-R that runs and drives great, fun little car. I wanna preface this with the transmission never had a 5th gear for me, only grinds like a bad syncro. I was driving it happily with 4 gears, having a blast with the SR20DE.

Last weekend I changed the old fluid with some Lucas HD 80W-90 gear oil that's GL4/GL5 spec. After that I lost my gears. I DO NOT think this is fluid related though. It seems to be linkage or bad motor/trans mounts.

Driving or engine off sometimes the gear shifter will not move into gear almost like a lockout is in the way. Most of the time I lose all gears except 3rd. If I drive, I eventually get all my gears back and then it could be fine for days. Today I lost all except 3rd and 4th, started in 3rd gear and after about a quarter mile I got all my gears back and everything shifted normally. I already dropped the linkage and couldn't see anything bent or broken. When its all bound up, the shifter acts the same with the engine on or off, clutch in or out, doesnt matter until its driven or manhandling the shifter. It also leaks fluid from the axle seal, but im replacing that this weekend.

Thoughts? Thank all of you brilliant people. I am mechanically inclined so lets get my hands dirty!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”