Random music I love and why

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I figured I'd post up some songs I particularly like and tell a little about why I like them.

First up:Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin 4 (Zoso))

Fantastic song all around. Probably my favorite from Zoso (with the possible exception of When the Levee Breaks). The slow, rolling, driving rythm of the song rocks. The drumming is some of the best in any classic rock--not for it's complexity or technicality, but for the way it carries the song and gets your head nodding in time. The bit toward the end at around 4 minutes (in that video at least) is incredible.

That particular youtube video's audio quality is rather poor, so a lot of the drumming gets lost, sadly. If you don't own this one on some format or another, you're missing out. If you do, go listen to it closely and enjoy.

Next:With You there to Help Me(Jethro Tull, Benefit)

This one has a fantastic droning harmony to the lyrics. That combined with Tull's usual deep mix of musical weave and a strange melding of dark medieval-ish sound with modern progressions and electric guitar is amazing. It's a very heavy and atmospheric song. The lyrics are good, too.

Next:Your Time is Gonna Come(Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (1))

I LOVE the blues. Love it (them?). Zeppelin's first album was full of very simple yet great music. This one's no exception. It does still have that great rolling/driving feel to it that so many other Zep greats do, but it's such a basic blues song underneath. The guitar picking is fantastic and the drumming is once again simple but powerful.

Next:Love is a Long Road(Tom Petty, Full Moon Fever)

Tom Petty managed to survive the 80s. No one knows how. But this song is a good example of why. Synthesizer actually adds to the song. Mike Campbell is a great guitarist, and that shines in this song. Great rock ballad. This is a great "spirited driving soundtrack" song.

Next:Mother Goose(Jethro Tull, Aqualung)

Tull's signature folky rock here. The guitar progressions and texturing are excellent. The lyrics are great, and the way the song gradually evolves is very cool. When the electric guitar fades in for the last ~1/3 it gets very cool, but none of the folk feel is lost. Some very interesting drumming going on as well, sounds like hands on hides and adds an interesting backing.

I'll add more later. Right now I have to get back to work.

EDIT:Okay, nevermind, more now.

Another one:Congratulations(Traveling Wilburys, Volume 1)

Probably my favorite Wilburys song. The guitar transition at the opening is brilliant. I could replay the opening to this song a thousand times and it would never get old. The Wilburys had some great voice talent (volume 3 was terrible without Orbison ) and Jeff Lynn is a great guitarist.

One more for now:Have you Ever Seen the Rain(Credence Clearwater Revival, Pendulum)

This one, like Congratulations, also has an incredible chord transition at the opening. I love it. The whole song is brilliant. The lyrics are fantastic, the guitar work is perfect, the piano is such a tiny part but adds so much. Easily one of the best songs of all time.

furple
Car: 1992 240SX Fastback

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Have you Ever Seen the Rain(Credence Clearwater Revival, Pendulum)

This one, like Congratulations, also has an incredible chord transition at the opening. I love it. The whole song is brilliant. The lyrics are fantastic, the guitar work is perfect, the piano is such a tiny part but adds so much. Easily one of the best songs of all time.
MinisterofDOOM wrote:I figured I'd post up some songs I particularly like and tell a little about why I like them.

First up:Misty Mountain Hop (Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin 4 (Zoso))

Fantastic song all around. Probably my favorite from Zoso (with the possible exception of When the Levee Breaks). The slow, rolling, driving rythm of the song rocks. The drumming is some of the best in any classic rock--not for it's complexity or technicality, but for the way it carries the song and gets your head nodding in time. The bit toward the end at around 4 minutes (in that video at least) is incredible.

That particular youtube video's audio quality is rather poor, so a lot of the drumming gets lost, sadly. If you don't own this one on some format or another, you're missing out. If you do, go listen to it closely and enjoy.

Next:With You there to Help Me(Jethro Tull, Benefit)

This one has a fantastic droning harmony to the lyrics. That combined with Tull's usual deep mix of musical weave and a strange melding of dark medieval-ish sound with modern progressions and electric guitar is amazing. It's a very heavy and atmospheric song. The lyrics are good, too.

Next:Your Time is Gonna Come(Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (1))

I LOVE the blues. Love it (them?). Zeppelin's first album was full of very simple yet great music. This one's no exception. It does still have that great rolling/driving feel to it that so many other Zep greats do, but it's such a basic blues song underneath. The guitar picking is fantastic and the drumming is once again simple but powerful.

Next:Love is a Long Road(Tom Petty, Full Moon Fever)

Tom Petty managed to survive the 80s. No one knows how. But this song is a good example of why. Synthesizer actually adds to the song. Mike Campbell is a great guitarist, and that shines in this song. Great rock ballad. This is a great "spirited driving soundtrack" song.

Next:Mother Goose(Jethro Tull, Aqualung)

Tull's signature folky rock here. The guitar progressions and texturing are excellent. The lyrics are great, and the way the song gradually evolves is very cool. When the electric guitar fades in for the last ~1/3 it gets very cool, but none of the folk feel is lost. Some very interesting drumming going on as well, sounds like hands on hides and adds an interesting backing.

I'll add more later. Right now I have to get back to work.

EDIT:Okay, nevermind, more now.

Another one:Congratulations(Traveling Wilburys, Volume 1)

Probably my favorite Wilburys song. The guitar transition at the opening is brilliant. I could replay the opening to this song a thousand times and it would never get old. The Wilburys had some great voice talent (volume 3 was terrible without Orbison ) and Jeff Lynn is a great guitarist.

One more for now:Have you Ever Seen the Rain(Credence Clearwater Revival, Pendulum)

gawd I love Creedence, Fortunate Son and Susie Q are some of my favorite songs ever

Return to “The Music Room”