ram air

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
numatik
Car: cars

Has anyone tried to put a ram air type of intake system on a 240sx? I'm thinking about trying it out, but I'm wondering if it matters how close or how far the MAF is from the throttle body. It might run too lean unless I put on some valve to releive exess pressure when the engine doesn't need it. Might be kind of cool for me, driving from Albany to Boston and flying the whole way. Any constructive criticism?

numatik

I could try to figure out some way to run 2 MAFs in parrallel.I could use one intake on each side where the brake cooling ducts are and use a factory air box with a KN on in the little spot where the stock intercooler is on a 200sx sr20det. Oh yeah I have a s14. what would be a good thing to use asa ducting? Can you buy aluminun piping w/bends somewhere?

MrFox

Dont think the mixture is going to be much of a problem because the effect of the ram air will be quite minor. the O2 sensor can compensate for this just fine.

burns stainless sells aluminum mandrel bends. they are pricy though, appox $30 each (at least for 1 5/8 OD). if you can buy in larger quantities, i can recommand a cheaper place.

numatik

At the very least, at low speeds it would provide a good cold air intake. At high speeds?

MrFox

the ram effect at 80mph equals to 0.11 psi. this is assuming a 100% efficient duct, which you will not have if you are going to have bends or a long length of duct. at 160mph its 0.45 psi, increasing exponentionally with forward speed. the cooler air will help a little bit- air density increases 1% for every 3 degrees F drop.

your right foot controls how much air goes in to the engine, i dont see how ram air can cause any problems. i dont see how parallel mafs could work... all the air goes to plenum chamber and equalise in pressure anyways. and what would the computer do with the additional signal in?

just keep it simple.

numatik

good advice. yeah, I think will keep it simple. What I meant about the dual MAFS was to wire them together so they only sent 1 signal.

It would be alot of extra work for a small gain to have dual intake pipes. My piping system will have aot of bends. Of coarse I'll keep them to a minimum. It'll be a cool project though.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

A guy on 240sx.org did this with an s13. There is a complete write up on that sight. It sounds like a good idea, but I remember reading about some problems he had at high speed. It was fine at WOT and high speed, but sometimes when he let off throttle it tried to stall... too much air being forced by the butterfly valve or something. Some sort of relief valve might cure that.

I fabricated a cold air duct using 3" diameter vaccum hose, and a down spout for rain gutters. Once the car is moving is routes cold air from in front of the car, and dumps it underneath my AEM intake. It works pretty well, and I've thought about enclosing the filter and having an "almost" ram air effect.... but nah, not worth the hassle... and it wouldn't work very well anyway.

Scott McLellan

MrFox, how did you come up with those numbers? (If you are still around. This post is old) And also, you would want longer ram air tubing so that more air can be sandwhiched in there and therfore increase the "boost" right? I'm presently molding my own custom fiberglass ram air and will probly remove the factory foglights to have a bigger opening. I'm using fiberglass so I can make the exact shape and have long radiused curves. Do you think I should get a boost gauge too?:)

driftin8ez
Car: 92 Coupe, Turbo Miata

I made sort of a ram air duct using the front air vent. I'll post pics and if you have any questions or need to now what parts i got just post.

driftin8ez

front view

driftin8ez

back veiw

driftin8ez

under hood

PhaneSoul
Car: 2004- 89 240SX SE Black 5spd Wrecked
2010- 95 240SX SE Green 5spd s14.5 yay!

thats kind of what i was gonna do, but its going to be a bigger hose and it is going to be closer to the intake

driftin8ez

well the hose is like 3in. but the hole under the hood is only like an inch and a half so i was debating weather i should cut it bigger.

nismojunkie

can you tell me how you are making that out of fiberglass? step by step instructions and stuff? that sounds like somethign i woudl like to try, if fiberglass isnt that hard to work with, i have no experience with it

IveBeenBad
Car: 1990 240SX Fastback STOCK BIOTCH

usually when you make something out of fiberglass, you make either a skeleton or mold as a template...

Scott McLellan

I've messed around w/ fiberglass a little and I know it will take forever to build this and lots of patience too but I think it will be worth it. I'll probly make a real nice skelaton which will probly take the longest. I'll let you know what stuff I use to make it. Any ideas as to what to use would be greatly apreciated too! Just make sure you wear a mask and long sleeves when working this stuff cause it's messy and itchy.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”