Rail Rust

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Qashqai

Today the temperature was above freezing point after 2 months. I was taking the car to coin wash and wash all the car to get rid of salt, but after a long time I had a chance to dry the car and take little time to see the condition of the paint/body.

I found at least 10-15 rail rust (the tiny orange spots) :frown: . It happens due the iron particles attached to the paint. The snow plowers, other car's brake dust etc.

So, my fellow Rogue owners, If you are living in a snow falling part of the continent, don't forget to check the rail rust before it is too late.

I cleaned them by my micro fibre cloth, because they were at a very early stage, however the first ting in spring I will clay bar the car. I never used clay bar before, but I don't think it will be complicated :rolleyes:

While making a research on the web, I found a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan, about using the clay bar. So this method is approved by Nissan.

http://www.valugard.net/cms/LinkClick.a ... 96&mid=465

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I just tried using a Clay Bar kit on my Rogue to remove the rail rust and it worked really well!

I've been meaning to get around to waxing my Rogue. I finally decided to try out Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax. (We'll see how well that works as soon as I do that.)

But there was a lot of rail rust on my Rogue. And I figured, I might as well deal with it before going through all the hassle of waxing my Rogue.

I remember reading this post. And my neighbour pointed out someone down the street was using these Clay Bars to get rid of small imperfections on his car. So while I was picking up cleaning supplies for my Rogue I grabbed a box of Simoniz Clay Bar Kit.

Washed my car.

Sat down and broke off 1/4 of one of the 2 bars that comes in the kit. Misted the area I wanted to work on with the supplied liquid and rubbed.

It made short work of the rail rust!

Small little scratches, it does help to make them a little less noticeable. But does not remove them completely. But I am happy that some of the smaller scratches . . . it does enough that I can ignore them now and not wonder if I want to do anything about them.

I had quite a bit of rail rust on my Rogue. I only used that 1/4 of a bar to go over my entire Rogue. And only a small fraction of the liquid that they supplied. So . . . with 2 bars, that's 8 applications. I figure the liquid will outlast the bars, so just a matter of picking up more bars down the road.

I am only planning to do this once a year, just before I wax my Rogue.

I am very pleased with this category of product. It is so easy to do. And it works! IMHO well worth the time and effort!

Take care! :)
TheRogue

ricio01
Car: 2014 Rogue SV FWD
Moonlight Pearl

I have a 2014 Rogue and experienced this dust for the last 6 years. What works for me is a product called Silver Wax - Rust Particulars remover. I spray it on . let sit for a few minutes and wipe off.
it works quite well without damaging the paint.

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

I've been clay barring my cars for years. It really does remove a lot of surface contaminants and provides a very clean surface for polishing/waxing. I think it's worth doing at least once a year.

I'm intrigued by that Silver Wax product. I'm going to have to research that! Thanks for mentioning it.

ricio01
Car: 2014 Rogue SV FWD
Moonlight Pearl

Let me know how it works. If you have a lot, you may have to do it several times.

Return to “Rogue Forum”