Radio Hard Reset

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

I have a 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan. And from what I've read the hard reset procedure for the 2018 to 2022 models is as follows....

1.Start the car engine and turn on your radio.

2.Wait for at least 10 seconds and turn off your car’s radio.

3.Hold down the power button again and wait for the stereo system to reset.

This is Nissan Part #: 25915-9HU1A. Model #: QY-8950. 7-inch display with Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Sirius/XM and Navigation.

Anyways this procedure didn't work for my radio, any ideas? :gotme

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Pull fuses 16, 26 and 28 in the cabin fusebox. That will completely power down the navi and force a cold boot when you turn it back on.

18 Altima FuseBox.png

TexRodeo
82k miles

VStar,

Is this the only way to reset the radio. Can I reset it without losing all of my settings like a hard reset? Is there not a procedure with this particular radio that I can do?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

TexRodeo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:33 pm
Is this the only way to reset the radio. Can I reset it without losing all of my settings like a hard reset? Is there not a procedure with this particular radio that I can do?
If it's blacked out, then no, pulling power is the only way. Pulling the fuses will only (maybe) erase your radio presets, but maybe not even that. On the navis, most of that stuff is stored in flash or on the SD card. The advantage to pulling fuses as opposed to disconnecting the battery is that you're only removing power from the navi, so you won't lose "volatile" preferences like the ones stored in the cluster. The SD card connections can also cause wacky behavior, so if a cold boot doesn't help, try removing it and cleaning the pads with contact cleaner or alcohol. Lastly, the '18's w/navi had an update done under the R1911 recall (bulletin NTB19-107), and I think that particular update had some bug fixes that went beyond the bluetooth system. So if it hasn't already been done on your ride, check with the dealer, you may be able to get it updated for free.

TexRodeo
82k miles

No, it's actually working well so far. I'm just trying to find the reset procedure just in case it's needed in the future.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it isn't blacked out, turn the audio off, press and hold MENU, then twiddle the volume knob rapidly back and forth. That will get you into the self-diagnosis menu, which has an option to restore factory defaults. That wipes all the user data and forces a complete reinitialization, so it will usually fix any corrupt flash or apps that may have gone off in the weeds.

TexRodeo
82k miles

I've been in the diagnostic menu before, I was terrified to touch anything. From what I've read folks have totally screwed their radio permanently. That's definitely not what I would like to do.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”