radio and interior lighting not working!

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
cam3
Car: 90 Nissan 300zx

I just got my car repainted and put together, everything worked fine for the first half of the day driving around and the radio suddenly cut out when driving. I noticed the dome light, map lights and lights by your feet no longer work and the door chime doesn't go off. I checked the fuses with a test light and all are fine abd the power red power wire in the radio harness is getting power but not the yellow wire for the main power. Any ideas for my next approach?

ThisIsSparTTa
Car: 91 300ZX TT 2+0

You missed fuse 15, bottom left corner of the fuse block, 10A. It powers all of those circuits, and a bunch more. If it keeps blowing, its going to be time to bust out the FSM and dig in. It's not fun. Just got through troubleshooting an issue on that circuit on mine.

If somehow that fuse is good, then you will need to check the connectors going into the fuse block per the first few pages of the electrical section in the fsm.

cam3

If your talking about the fuse labeled "room L theft" that was never in my fuse panel, whoever had the car before me left it without a fuse and everything has worked fine without it strangely enough. I put a fuse in it when I was checking everything and the test light shows it has power and it is not blown. I'm not sure if it's supposed to sit out farther than the other fuses but it looks likeit's only half plugged in but it's gettingpower. And I'm not that great with electrical and the terms, what is this fsm?

cam3

Nevermind it's the service manual lol but I don't have one and can't find anything online for it. Any idea how I can get a hold of those pages without buying a manual?

cam3

Found a manual, am I gonna have to follow the circuit diagrams from the fuse abd Chase the wiring from the fuse all the way back? Pulling the fuse block from the kick panelI'm guessing?

ThisIsSparTTa
Car: 91 300ZX TT 2+0

Yea there are a bunch of FSMs online. If fuse #15 isn't blowing then I'd suspect you have a broken wire somewhere . On page el-7 of the 91 fsm is the power supply routing wiring diagram. If you trace fuse 15 you will see it goes to wires 3A,4A and 4N. 3A/4A are on the front of the fuse block and 4N is on the rear. I'd remove the connector and check first for continuity from the fuse to each of those on the block. I'd then check for continuity on each of those circuits. You will have to go I other parts of the electrical section for their full diagram. Just look for those 3a,4a and 4n indicators on those diagrams. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to test continuity for all your grounds too while you're checking stuff.

Good luck, I just got through hunting down a problem on this circuit. Turns out somehow my parking brake sensor was creating a path to ground on the +12V line when it was engaged, so bypassed that circuit by wiring it directly to the gauge cluster.

Zcarvert
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Convertible

I feel your pain ...I looked everywhere ...finally found it ...the 10 amp fuse is located under the hood in the fuse box on the drivers side ..designated as "Theft ROOM L" ?

there are also the two other fuses mentioned in previous posts but this is the one that had blown and taken out the radio, dome lights, and key alert sound.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”