Radiator support

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
allhalf425
Car: 2001 Infiniti i30

Okay, my radiator support is almost completely decayed, right where the crossmember or whatever is. The dealership said I was looking at around 1200 for parts and labor to replace it. My question is, I found the OEM part online for 315, but I also found this replacement part for 88 bucks. Will that work well? I mean it says it's plastic, which kind of worries me, but at least that wouldn't rust, I guess.

Also, about how much labor would this involve? I don't really know much about cars, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself, but my dad's friend is a mechanic, and I could probably get him to do it pretty cheap. Thanks.

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

It can be done yourself, but if you cant weld or know somebody that can I would suggest getting a shop to do it. And if a dealer quoted you $1200 they saw you coming. The lower support is only like $300 (max) and labor should be no more than 3-4 hours. The easiest way to explain the process is: you have to remove the front bumper. then remove a few plastic shrouds, and cut the support out, the reweld it in, then install everything back on

If your dads buddy is a mechanic, ask him how much he would charge you. With parts, I would say no more than $700.
Last edited by tigersharkdude on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allhalf425

Okay, yeah that's what I thought. I personally wouldn't be able to do it, but like I said, my dad's friend is a mechanic, and I'm assuming he can weld. If not, I can find a shop to do it. My main question is though, would that plastic bumper I linked in my first post be sufficient? I mean, for a third of a price, if it's not going to break in like 2 or 3 years, I'd rather go with that.

tigersharkdude

no do not buy the plastic bumper.

EDIT: just noticed you have a 2001 car. It may be slightly different for them

allhalf425

Okay thank you.

tigersharkdude

just think if you have the plastic support and something corrosive gets on it, it could eat its way right through it. IMO it would be more likely to break than the oem piece.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”