Radiator, headgasket question...

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
scyan

How do I test a radiator cap ? And is it possible to have a leaky headgasket with 180 compression in each cylinder ?

thx again guys...

Scy

trpower7

There really is no test method for a radiator cap, if you suspect it, go buy a new one, they are less than $10. As far as a headgasket goes, it's a tricky demon for certain, but here are the things to look for.

A) Loss of coolantB) Coolant in the OilC) Oil in the coolant (kind of sludgy brown looking coolant)D) Sweet Smell from the exhaust, usually accompanied by white smoke.E) Random Overheating

If you have these things, most likely you have a blown head gasket. At this point STOP DRIVING!!!! I have seen heads cracked, as well as numerous other things in engines where the ownder drove it with BHG. Luckily, it isn't near as big of a job on the 240 as it is on other cars. And if you are going to go turbo in the future, now would be a good time to do a rebuild (you'll be taking half the damn thing apart anyway) and timing chain maintenance. Kill lots of birds with one stone.

LilGold240sx
Car: 93 Mercury Villager DS (i.s.o. 89 240-coupe)

Okay, what if you have:

A) Loss of coolant (it's leaving puddles under car)E) Random Overheating

But not:

B) Coolant in the OilC) Oil in the coolant (kind of sludgy brown looking coolant)D) Sweet Smell from the exhaust, usually accompanied by white smoke.

With a "bonus" of:

F) almost antifreezie smell when heater/AC is onG) rough idling?

:mad: :confused: :help

trpower7

Your heater-core is leaking. Some is leaking into the inlet streams and is making your air smell sweet. The rest is leaking out the bottom of the car. Get a new Heatercore. I don't know how much or where it is, but be glad it isn't a head gasket!!! And do it quickly, you never want to overheat. And the idling problem is just a 240 thing, good luck solving it.

rc240sx

You should get the heater core changed quickly. A bad one will leave a film on your windshield which is very hard to get off and cuts visibility.

scyan

Hey, I think you guys solved my problem, it`s most likely the heather core cuz i`m not even getting heat when it`s on. So i`m going to try and have that cleaned first.. then i will see.

Scy

thx guys !!

trpower7

Cleaning it won't do a thing YOU NEED A NEW ONE. I promise you it is leaking, cleaning it will probably just make the leak worse. Bite the bullet and go get a new heater core before you overheat the thing and mess up something 10 times more expensive.

scyan

could it be leaking without me seeing any leaks at all ? If I have to replace, do you have any clue how much such a piece is worth ?

Scy

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Scy,

Call your local repair shops (just not Midas!). It may be worth your while to have one of them do the job for you, or at least you'll be able to get some idea of what it will cost you to do it.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”