Radiator alternative

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Ryryal
Car: 1965 L320

Hi folks -

New to the NICOclub forum and new to Datsuns. I have a 65 L320 that I'm trying to get running and driveable for a friend. The truck is a bit rusty and has been used pretty hard. Previous owner did a number of things to just keep it running. But it's been sitting for a while and needs attention. The goal is to get it in a driveable state for not too much money. I'm close. I've rebuilt the brakes, rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder, fixed some wiring and cleaned and put new gaskets in the carb (it has a Weber 32/36). It actually runs pretty good. The last big hurdle is the radiator. It's no good. Leaks at the top tank seam. The owner is reluctant to spend $400-$500 to get the radiator rebuilt (that was the quote from one local shop). My question, has anyone found a good modern radiator alternative that fits fairly easily? The truck will never be a show truck so I'm not too concerned with originality. It's a cool little truck. Really just want to be able to drive it without breaking the bank.

I've considered an aluminum radiator for a Datsun 1200. Size wise I think it should fit although I understand some of the less expensive internet aluminum radiators may have some quality control issues.

Thanks for any help

Ryan

Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

$400-$500 Sens high. It’s been a couple of years, but I had my radiator rebuilt for $150.00.

Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

Auto correct got me. $400-$500 seems high..

Ryryal
Car: 1965 L320

Gemmer -
Thanks. Talked to some guys at a Datsun shop here in Portland. They seemed to think my estimate of $400-$500 was about right. I'm also getting the distinct feeling from most everyone I've talked to that I should avoid aluminum radiators. And especially the cheap ones off ebay.

riffleman9649
Car: Datsun 320n Ute

Hi i don't think it should be that much i had a full flush soldered up 1 core pressure tested repainted $180AUD it was over 10 years ago but . Send me the tips you did on the Brakes /Clutch as i need to do them as its been 6 years or more since its moved if possible would be great.

Return to “Datsun 320”