Rack n Pinion Steering Column

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Romeo5k
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45~296k miles -- DEAD
2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 == 100,305 miles

I tried looking everywhere i could before coming on here to ask. But for one, i really didn't know how to wildcard what i was looking for.
This is the story:
My rack boots and tire rod ends and high pressure hose needed to be replaced. Had this lil' shop go ahead and do it. Didn't think it was something that needed special services.
Anywho had the guy get a whole rack and replaced the hose as well. He brought it back to me, and it had a svc engine light and abs light on. I asked em if he had something holding the steering wheel, he said yes, but unfortunately idk. All i know is that the white circular box inside the steering wheel was broke. hence why my controls on the steering would NOT work. eg: Volume, cruise control... So he came back got the car, and replaced it i guess..(FREE) Got the car aligned, and finally drove the car out of town. and noticed, it was starting to get hard to turn RIGHT. By this time i'm already in Austin, so i turned the wheel to the left, and it was cool, but to the RIGHT, required me to use strength.
Drove back to Houston, and noticed while driving straight, mywheel looks like its turned 35-45 degrees to the right. But then i can turn the wheel to switch to left lane and kind of turn it back to the right, and its kind of straight again. Weird part is, im driving straight. So i took it to one of my uncles, who said he assumed it was the PS pump,but because i just had some work done to the car and he said the wheel had wayyyyyyy too much slack in it, theresssss another/bigger problem. Sadly he isn't a Nissan expert, so he couldn't pinpoint it.
So now i go outside, assume wheel is straight, steering is straight. Put 1 hand at 12oclock. Turn it to the right till about 2 Oclock, the tires move a smigget. Smigget meaning, the width of one finger. After that tho, is when the stiffness begins. To the left is no issue..
Can someone please tell me what you think is going wrong
Thank You.

Romeo5k

Oh Also, when turning to the right, when struggling rather, its makes like a screeching sound.. Like i'm trying to twist rubber or something..

Romeo5k

ANYONE???

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

It has nothing to do with the power portion of the steering, could be rack or the column to rack attachment point or even column itself depending on how constructed.

I can tell you definitely this...........quit driving the car NOW, you could be right on borderline of shearing whatever is flawed there completely loose to completely lose control of the car and a wreck staring you in the face.

Dump that shop and uncle too, they are NOT serving you competently there at all. You have a flaw in the connection of column to wheels at some point and that is not technically the PS at all, the whole thing with no power steering at all should still be tight enough to drive fine, only using much more effort doing it. Should be nothing loose there at ALL. Alignment person incompetent as well, they should have caught that too and refused to align it.

You could be right on the point of an accident, I cannot stress that enough.

Romeo5k

amc49 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 pm
It has nothing to do with the power portion of the steering, could be rack or the column to rack attachment point or even column itself depending on how constructed.

I can tell you definitely this...........quit driving the car NOW, you could be right on borderline of shearing whatever is flawed there completely loose to completely lose control of the car and a wreck staring you in the face.

Dump that shop and uncle too, they are NOT serving you competently there at all. You have a flaw in the connection of column to wheels at some point and that is not technically the PS at all, the whole thing with no power steering at all should still be tight enough to drive fine, only using much more effort doing it. Should be nothing loose there at ALL. Alignment person incompetent as well, they should have caught that too and refused to align it.

Thanks for your response.. I took heed to what you said.. Ill be taking it to a more trustworthy shop on Thursday.. HOPEFULLY THE RACK ISNT DAMAGED.!!

Romeo5k

amc49 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 pm

@amc49
Once again Thank you.. You saved a life or even lives..
Took it to a new shop, one i really trusted rather, and they said the bolt that mounts the braket to frame or whatever he said, came off. And it had another bolt loose.. The tech said i was riding on prayers and God.. They said its only a matter time if i woulda hit brakes, and lose control of steering wheel and cause a pile up.. Sooo, yeah Im happy.. Bad part is, he charged me $325.00 #FML
Someone said, it shouldnt have cost that much, but he probably did that because i took my car somewhere else, and they had to fix another mechanics work..

Anywho, thanks for your help

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”