Rack and Pinion

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

I posted this in Online Mechanic also.

It has come to this. My steering slipage has gotten progressively worse. If I take turns slowly my steering does not slip. If I go quickly into a turn, my steering will slip for about 1/8 of an entire rotationand then catch. So for that 1/8 of a turn, it does not turn the wheels. When I straighten out the car after the turn, the wheel is cocked in the direction that I just turned.

I thought that it could have been the inner tie rod ends. I replaced them tonite and the problem still exists. I replaced my control arm bushings, sway bar clamp bushings, and my sway bar end link bushings with Energy Suspension Polyurethane ones. My ball joints are good and my outer tie rod ends are good. I can only think that this would be a dying Rack and Pinion.

I think that the Haynes manual said that the steering gear could be loose. I am ready to hit the junk yard for another rack, but does anybody have any other ideas? I do not have a leak and my fluid is at the proper level.

??????______

NISTECH

I dont know if you ever got an answer to this but did you check the actual rack mounts that hold it in the car? are the rubbers in good shape? ie not deteriorated allowing the whole rack to shift side to side.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”