R52 oil?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Skelshy
Car: 2018 Pathfinder SV AWD

I have a new (to me) 2018 Pathfinder. Manual specifies 6 mo/5k miles interval, in one section it says it needs to be API certified and appropriate for your climate. In another section it says Genuine “NISSAN Motor Oil 0W-20 SN” is recommended. I am in the Pacific NW (moderate climate, not much snow)

Goodyear auto care said the vehicle needed 0w30 and they only had that in synthetic ... then they went into an upsell of their premium filters. I'm not that cost sensitive, but it just didn't sound like good advice. If I am going to follow the manufacturer's schedule, which I like doing, that's probably overkill. I've driven more than a year on synthetic oils on vehicles that had an oil life indicator.

Looks like 5w30 should totally do for this climate, should I just ask them to put in 5w30 dino oil?

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

In a mild climate 0-30 will be fine if 0-20 is the spec. You might lose .01MPG. Synthetic is better, but not essential, especially if it wasn't called for it originally.

Oil change places are notorious for not knowing what the spec is, even if the car has it printed in the engine compartment. And there are a bunch of grades and they probably only have about 3 that come out of the gun and another couple in bottles. So they have a baseline default and probably suggest it for almost everything. Regardless, 0-30 won't hurt anything, nor will 5-30 which might result in .03 less MPG. Tight clearances allow thin oil and with tight clearances MPG standards dictate it from a Mfr standpoint. The oil change place either wants to upsell you or use what comes out of the gun.

JayArras
Car: 2013 Pathfinder SL Premium

The oil change process on the R52 is not that difficult. Why not do it yourself?

BTW, I use full-synthetic on my 2013 SL and a 7500 mile change interval.

Skelshy

Mike W. wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am
In a mild climate 0-30 will be fine if 0-20 is the spec. You might lose .01MPG. Synthetic is better, but not essential, especially if it wasn't called for it originally.
Great post, thank you!

Skelshy

JayArras wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am
The oil change process on the R52 is not that difficult. Why not do it yourself?

https://youtu.be/JgGJgHEq1TE

BTW, I use full-synthetic on my 2013 SL and a 7500 mile change interval.
Thanks. I have done it in the past, when I had a garage to keep oily things stored :) Not currently very attractive with no garage. Also, oil change and tire rotation for $50 isn't unreasonable, plus any other issues they might find. I just don't like booking a $50 appointment and then it's a $100 appointment from the start.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

How to Choose the Right Oil Filter for Your Car (it's a rather lengthy article)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

That same engine is recommended by Nissan Europe as 5w-40 year around.
Like I been saying for years the EPA testing cycle for MPGs is biased towards cold running.
This is why in the USA all these really thin oils are recommended that are not recommended anywhere else.

PS: I always upgrade to the better filter whenever possible.
Its not about the filtration or the capacity..
Low end filters are vulnerable to construction failures..A filter that had its internal crushed or decomposed will send all sorts of cardboard thru your engine.

Usually not immediately deadly but definitely not good.

Skelshy

Put in 0w20 synthetic at another shop. Will keep at 5k intervals for the remaining balance on the powertrain warranty, then probably do 7500 mile intervals.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

PalmerWMD wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:42 am

Like I been saying for years the EPA testing cycle for MPGs is biased towards cold running.
This is why in the USA all these really thin oils are recommended that are not recommended anywhere else.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I knew it had to do with EPA MPG, but wasn't aware the cycle was biased towards cold running.
PS: I always upgrade to the better filter whenever possible.
Its not about the filtration or the capacity..
Low end filters are vulnerable to construction failures..A filter that had its internal crushed or decomposed will send all sorts of cardboard thru your engine.

Usually not immediately deadly but definitely not good.
Some years back now I heard about some cheap filters exploding under cold, high pressure conditions. IIRC it was Mitsubishi cars.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”