R50 front hitch. One more time.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
artemny
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder (R50) LE

So after months of research I (as well as most of you guys) realized it's impossible to find a ready to install front hitch for my R50. I finally decided to go for it and build and install it by myself.
For those who don't know me, it's gonna be more difficult for me because 1. I'm not that mechanically skilled and 2. I don't have a garage or any special tools (like welding machines, grinders etc).
But damn! When someone tells me "you can't do it", I wanna do it even more.

I prepared all the materials (1/4" steal plates, 1/4" square tubing), got people to do a welding/cutting job for me.

BUT I can't figure one thing.

Before I start taking the front end apart and write down numbers, I can't figure WHERE actual frame goes.

Tried to search the web with zero luck.
Does anyone have a picture or schematic of a R50 framing (naked skeleton)?

The piece that holds towing loops looks too fragile to me. Plus it looks like it's made only to hold radiator. Don't know why Nissan engineers put those hooks in such an inappropriate place.

ANYWAY! Long story short. Need a schematic of the frame and need to know where I can put my built on that frame.

Thanks guys! Any help is highly appreciated. :dblthumb:

PS will keep you updated. If everything is gonna go well, will try to do a detailed instruction on how I built mine for those who decide to do it too.

artemny

Guys? Anyone? Please? ;)

skiski329
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5

I can take a picture for you tomorrow where my bull bars go in. they connect into the frame.

artemny

skiski329 wrote:I can take a picture for you tomorrow where my bull bars go in. they connect into the frame.
I'd appreciate any help.
But I have a bullbar installed too (from a previous owner).
To me, it doesn't look like it goes to frame, because it connects to the chassis too low.

artemny

So I came up with some design. Check it out.

The work is still in progress. I'm planning to add some interesting pieces like heavy duty easy removable but not 'stolenable' :chuckle: fishing rod holder and some more cosmetic stuff...

So far I'm concerned about 2 things.

1. Tow hook placement. You think it's a good place that can hold a good load on a heavy towing/recovery?

and

2. Vertical load. What I mean is that imagine this car is in a deep hole, and a towing car stands a few feet higher creating a huge vertical load on this constructing. Basically lifting it from a ground. You think it will handle it?

Also, you think it's a good idea to completely seal the inside of tubing with welding and silicone or leave it breathable? I've heard totally different opinions on this one...

Thanks...

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

You need safety chain hookups on the hitch.

I'd be asking myself whether there's a reason there's no front hitch on the market, esp. given that Nissan recommends not installing bull bars.

Chuck

artemny

Chuck Tribolet wrote:You need safety chain hookups on the hitch.
What for?
Chuck Tribolet wrote:I'd be asking myself whether there's a reason there's no front hitch on the market,
So any idea why?
Chuck Tribolet wrote:esp. given that Nissan recommends not installing bull bars.
Well... it's not exactly a bull bar. In my understanding a bullbar is a thin piece of aluminium/steal that is bent on a mild car accident causing even more damage to a car. Bull bar is for showing off and has NO practical use.

What I want to build is a heavy duty steal bumper protector/towing hook holder/hitch receiver.

Thanks Chuck

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

You need the safety chain hookups if you are going to push a trailer around (otherwise why have a front hitch).

No front hitch available because no good place to mount it?

Chuck

artemny

Chuck Tribolet wrote:You need the safety chain hookups if you are going to push a trailer around (otherwise why have a front hitch).

No front hitch available because no good place to mount it?

Chuck
No, I'm not going to pull/push anything with it.
I'm going to use it for:
1. a recovery
2. a rod holder
3. a cooler holder
4. as a bull bar (real one), cause people in NY don't know how to park
5. and one more personal reason

I want all these things to be easy removable and interchangeable

Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

artemny wrote:
Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 am
5. and one more personal reason
Remote fired machine gun?

Anyway, I know I'm reviving a dead topic, but did you ever get around to making it?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”