QX60 noise that speeds up as I go faster

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
BigTasty
Car: 2010 FX35

Great resrouce here! I was hoping maybe someone could give me an idea of where to troubleshoot.

I havd a 2014 Infiniti QX60, the Nissan D Platform and it's AWD. my issue is that I have a noise that speeds up as a go faster but then once you get to 55-60 it's fast enough you don't hear it anymore. at first I thought maybe smothing was rubbing like a tire on a suspension component, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing normally does.

Anything I should check first? I am hoping it's not a weird issues in the trans. The CVT it has is fine, no slipping and no lights.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That could be a rear wheel bearing or a belt problem in a rear tire, often rolling noises in the rear will get "left behind" and become less audible as you travel faster.

BigTasty

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:45 am
That could be a rear wheel bearing or a belt problem in a rear tire, often rolling noises in the rear will get "left behind" and become less audible as you travel faster.
I have it on the lift right now and I don’t really hear anything when I turn the rear wheels

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's a bearing you'll need a stethoscope, Nissan wheel bearings rarely make any audible noise on the rack unless they're ready to fall off the car. Healthy ones are almost dead silent to a stethoscope, the whisper of a passing breeze at most. The tiniest clicking, ticking, or whining indicates trouble. Tire belts are impossible to diagnose on a rack since they only make noise in response to the road surface. RFV balancers will usually show the problem up.

BigTasty

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:39 am
If it's a bearing you'll need a stethoscope, Nissan wheel bearings rarely make any audible noise on the rack unless they're ready to fall off the car. Healthy ones are almost dead silent to a stethoscope, the whisper of a passing breeze at most. The tiniest clicking, ticking, or whining indicates trouble. Tire belts are impossible to diagnose on a rack since they only make noise in response to the road surface. RFV balancers will usually show the problem up.
I put the stethoscope on the fronts because that's where the noise is coming from, the rears aren't turning on the lift. and the bearings sounded fine...couldn't really hear any noise...but holy smoke the trans is making a lot of racket. It does seem like the car has new wheel bearings in the front and brakes look really new.

I have to wonder if they were throwing parts at this noise?

I have video of the car with the wheels turning in D

You can hear the noise...it's ronnnn...ronnnn....ronnnnn

Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Throwing parts sounds like a good bet. Is it AWD? That sounds kind of like a bad U-joint.

BigTasty

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:05 pm
Throwing parts sounds like a good bet. Is it AWD? That sounds kind of like a bad U-joint.
Yeah it's a trade in so I think they just gave up and traded it in.

It is an AWD. I checked the u joints fine...but I did started poking around wiht the stethoscope and I think I found the issue...the center diff is where the noise is coming from. When I put the steth on the drain plug it's loud AF and it's that sound.

So I have to assume she's toast...I am gonna pull the drain plug and see what kind of glitter she has in it. :ohno:

BigTasty

So up date....bunch of sludge in the transfer case. I rally didn't see any leaks, so I have to assume it was never changed.

Anyway I filled her up with some new full syn oil and the noise is 99% gone. You can barely hear it, if the radio is off, AC off, smooth road, and the speed is exactly at 35mph.

So I consider this a win. I'll drive it around for a month and then replace the fluid again. This is such an easy and cheap oil change I don't see why it's not done when they do the engine oil.

The best part was I did not see a speck of metal or anything metallic in the sludge.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

BigTasty wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 am
So up date....bunch of sludge in the transfer case. I rally didn't see any leaks, so I have to assume it was never changed.

Anyway I filled her up with some new full syn oil and the noise is 99% gone. You can barely hear it, if the radio is off, AC off, smooth road, and the speed is exactly at 35mph.

So I consider this a win. I'll drive it around for a month and then replace the fluid again. This is such an easy and cheap oil change I don't see why it's not done when they do the engine oil.

The best part was I did not see a speck of metal or anything metallic in the sludge.
Glad you seem to have got it sorted and that you avoided any really bad news.

BigTasty

Ilya wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:39 am
BigTasty wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 am

Glad you seem to have got it sorted and that you avoided any really bad news.
thanks...I think I may still need to change a bearing because there is some noise when cold, but I believe I bought a lot of time

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”